IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets
3/11/18, 7:21 PM   #1
D2 Midgets
MKlein6

I'm about to start running Powri D2 midgets this season and I was curious as to what distinguishes these from regular midgets. I just want to know all I can heading into this.

3/11/18, 8:36 PM   #2
Midget98

Very basic and only difference... The motor. From what I have gathered, a D2 engine is anywhere from 100-150 HP less than the top national motors. Other than that, some series have differing weight rules and some ban titanium, and other lightweight parts

2 members like this post: jdull99, MKlein6
3/11/18, 8:40 PM   #3
Re: D2 Midgets
red70racer

Everything is basically the same chassis wise. The difference being the engine platform. National midgets have little restrictions as far as what can be run. Most are purpose built with nothing being utilized from an original manufacturer (GM, Ford, Chrysler etc) making the engines extremely expensive
The D-2 movement came about to curtail cost by utilizing OEM blocks, heads and some internal components. bringing the cost to a reasonable area for the working person.
Not all D-2 rules are the same, a POWRi D-2 will not be legal to run with IMRA or Speed2
Good luck and if you need questions answered please feel free to contact me
Jeff Palazzolo
red_70racer@yahoo.com

3/11/18, 11:45 PM   #4
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by red70racer View Post
Everything is basically the same chassis wise. The difference being the engine platform. National midgets have little restrictions as far as what can be run. Most are purpose built with nothing being utilized from an original manufacturer (GM, Ford, Chrysler etc) making the engines extremely expensive
The D-2 movement came about to curtail cost by utilizing OEM blocks, heads and some internal components. bringing the cost to a reasonable area for the working person.
Not all D-2 rules are the same, a POWRi D-2 will not be legal to run with IMRA or Speed2
Good luck and if you need questions answered please feel free to contact me
Jeff Palazzolo
red_70racer@yahoo.com
Nor will they be legal to run in the Lucas Oil Southern States Midgets....POWRi with the new engine rules is not D-2 ...it is not the same platform that I essentially set up in 2010 and has removed themselves from the platforms that we all agreed to in our 2016 meeting in St. Louis. They have went with the Badger engine platform which has been very defined on here as NOT D-2

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Last edited by Wayne Davis; 3/11/18 at 11:57 PM.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
3/12/18, 8:21 AM   #5
The Old Coyote

3 members like this post: etripp, fish, opnwhlmnd
3/12/18, 3:53 PM   #6
Therealether

Makes me want to ask, if you don't know the difference between D2 and National, how are you " about to run D2 midgets"?

5 members like this post: etripp, jdull99, opnwhlmnd, RedRacer07, RickyBobby
3/12/18, 4:39 PM   #7
Ray3

POWRI D2 is not D2 at all. It's Badger Midgets with Badger engines not D2 engines. Kenny Brown did nobody any favors by trying to hang on to the D2 name which was something he didn't come up with himself at all.

4 members like this post: Cobra 14, opnwhlmnd, red70racer, Wayne Davis
3/12/18, 11:10 PM   #8
MKlein6

My friend told me about the opportunity and I took it.

1 member likes this post: Backitin
3/12/18, 11:12 PM   #9
MKlein6

Thank you!

3/13/18, 1:28 PM   #10
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Just so the record is straight as far as D-2 goes: The soul purpose of Division II midget racing was to keep it affordable for the AVERAGE working man. The men and women that want to race but do not have the expendable income it takes to race a national powered midget. I incorporated my rules back in 2010 so the affordable Ford Focus cars and the highly affordable chain driven lightning sprints could race together.

In 2012 Tracy Hull started what is today the IMRA and has done a fantastic job in the Midwest with his group, then popped up a group in Indiana and in the Northeast. Little satellite groups in Ohio and even the Illini midget group that has been promoting and running affordable midget racing for over 25 years was interested in what we were doing. This was the making of D-2. Just like NCAA and other established entities across the national there are many 2nd divisions as a feeder to the D-1 or less affordable schools per say so that is were I arrived with the name D-2.

In 2016 with we needed an entity that could bring all these groups together so I approached USAC and POWRi. USAC seem not so interested but Kenny Brown was. He and I along with Tracy and others got together in St. Louis at KBM (PowrI) for a meeting in Oct. 2015. We hammered out what was to be a set of "NATIONAL" Division 2 rules. Well in a course of a year, groups began to sway away from what was agreed upon but kept the core of the engine. Each group needed to do what was in their best for their said group.

Now in 2018 we have become split groups again do to engines. PowrI has decided to take it's engine package by way of Badger rules. I have NOTHING but a ton of respect for Kenny and understand reasons for him to do what he did, but Badger engines are not what Division II (D-2) is about at all. Yes they are way more affordable than the 30-40 thousand dollar national engines but are still not affordable for D-2.

So what is left out there as far as TRUE D-2 is Illinois Midget Racing Association (IMRA), Midwest Thunder Midgets (MTM) both USAC and myself Lucas Oil Southern States Midget Series (SSMS). We are still true D-2 series that will continue to make it as affordable as we can so the average working man can race these cars.

I hope this clears up a few things as we go forward. Just remember this RACING as a whole is kinda struggling and without you the racer coming to the track to race and telling everyone you know to get the asses in the stands to watch purses will stay low and car counts will continue to dwindle. So please support your local or not so local race tracks...thanks for reading

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

6 members like this post: Cobra 14, Emd645e6, interpreter66, jdull99, Therealether, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets