IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does anyone paint and not powdercoat their dirt car?
11/29/14, 5:53 PM   #1
Does anyone paint and not powdercoat their dirt car?
zerospeed

I just got my first dirt car...I'm debating powdercoating it vs using POR15 or something really durable. Anyone not powdercoat their stuff?

11/29/14, 6:39 PM   #2
badcoupe

We used to always paint our cars, easier to strip and check welds etc at the end of the season. Not sure what I'm gonna do on my new car because I wanna change colors and I have a friend who does powder coating.

11/30/14, 11:58 AM   #3
Re: Does anyone paint and not powdercoat their dirt car?
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
we used to always paint our cars, easier to strip and check welds etc at the end of the season. Not sure what i'm gonna do on my new car because i wanna change colors and i have a friend who does powder coating.
dah

11/30/14, 1:09 PM   #4
HurstBros0

Paint comes off so much easier for repairs... Those sandblaster guys charge half as much to remove paint as they do the " poundercoat"...

1 member likes this post: PatrickMead#13
11/30/14, 2:28 PM   #5
TQ29m

I like powder coat, but for my own use, I prefer Rustolium, easy to match, and holds up pretty good, and it's cheap, I've tried spray gun, electrostatic, and over the long haul, powder coat will stay on better, but you can buy a lot of rattle cans, for what it will cost you. JMHO! Bob

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, PatrickMead#13
11/30/14, 2:42 PM   #6
i love dirt track racing

I do electrostatic powder coating for delta faucet and I would recommend that. Lol.

11/30/14, 8:28 PM   #7
PatrickMead#13

I did aerosol truck bed coating this past year and it held up great. Worked out because I wanted a satin black chassis too. Plus side is if the bar gets bent, the truck bed coating cracks showing where potential damage is.

1 member likes this post: bowbuild
12/1/14, 10:26 AM   #8
RACEMS41

Tried powdercoat ONCE. Realy hard to repair ,hides cracks and if applied correctly almost impossible to remove. Fine for a streetrod not for a race car.

12/1/14, 12:45 PM   #9
Jack Dupp

Painting one's own chassis is a task best suited for the young and limber. Now that I have surpassed 60 birthdays, I always recommend powder coating to anyone wanting ME to paint a bare chassis.

Once a person has painted a chassis the decision to attempt it again or pay for powder coating becomes much more transparent.

Other treatments applied to sprint cars include bare metal with or without WD-40 protection and gun metal blueing.

Tip: Do the underneath portion first by tipping the unit on it's side.

1 member likes this post: dshort36
12/1/14, 2:53 PM   #10
SWScaleChassis

We always painted our stuff. Owner believed that powdercoat limited some of the flex. If that's true or not, eh...

As for paint, always easy to fix chips with rattle can!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does anyone paint and not powdercoat their dirt car?