IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Partial To A Specific Track???
12/12/22, 11:58 PM   #11
Re: Partial To A Specific Track???
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Geography has a huge amount of impact in this question. Close tracks lead to frequent visits and deep ties. Two tracks I could say are both gone. The famous Santa Fe Speedway would probably be number 1 with 1A being Crown Point Speedway in the days when the OConnor family ran it, in spite of the fact we never raced on it when they had it, but did a lot previous to their involvement. Of active tracks, Terre Haute gets the edge. But I have to refer to an old saying of mine. Some tracks are better than others, but I can’t say I’ve been to one I hated. The Indy Indoor thing excluded
2 of my 3 home tracks with Crown Point Speedway being #1, Kankakee & Santa Fe being 1A.
Spent a lot of years at all 3 helping my friends with their Supers & Limited Late Models, Modifieds, & Street Stocks
Now a days it's 4 Tracks with Shadyhill, Kankakee, Fairbury, & Kokomo
Last edited by nathans1012; 12/13/22 at 4:07 AM.

4 members like this post: beaner, BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55
12/13/22, 1:02 AM   #12
The55

I haven’t been to that many different dirt tracks. Paragon, Bloomington, Lincoln Park, Gas City, Terre Haute, Haubstadt, and Eldora would be my list. Kokomo is my favorite, I lived there for about 15 years. Love the high speed, hammer down aspect of the track. The facility isn’t the best though it has improved a lot since the O’Connnors took it over. Paragon is the best setting with the S IN hills in the background. Haubstadt is probably the best facility but see no need in over working the track and the speed just doesn’t match Kokomo. The stands at Lincoln Park are my favorite. Love Eldora for the bigger track and high speeds, big time feel and especially the 4 Crown. All of these are good tracks since they offer sprint cars on dirt. Can’t go wrong, just go to one.

3 members like this post: beaner, BrentTFunk, DirtTrackTherapy16J
12/13/22, 1:24 AM   #13
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACrappieman View Post
I’m very partial to Haubstadt. It’s the furthest track from me but I love going there. Very friendly place, great racing, great surface, great concessions, can’t think of a single negative. I recommend you go if you’ve never been.
Honestly its probably the #1 track on my list of tracks I haven't been to. Going to do everything I can to go in 2023!!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, RACrappieman
12/13/22, 1:29 AM   #14
DirtTrackTherapy16J

I'm really appreciating alot of these answers, especially from people who have been around longer then I've been alive. Some of you are even educating me. One interesting note, my late father and I raised very very high quality different species of Poultry. I've been to the Kankakee Fairgrounds more times than I can count throughout my 40 years of life. Each time I've looked at the track and said...damn, I wonder what the racing here is like...just this thread alone, not counting other veteran fans, ive heard lots of good things about the track, just never watched a race as the Poultry show was on Sunday mornings.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 12/13/22 at 1:30 AM.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
12/13/22, 10:01 AM   #15
snowdrift

Winchester Speedway for me only living 6 miles from the track my dad and I working on the track fire crew . Seeing the first 24 Dry power 400 staying for the hole weekend watching Bob Senneker/Mark Martin/mike Eddy Then when usac sprints run watching Tom Biglow in the Armstrong car watching Rich Vogler race with the super modifieds in the 65 Miller car and staying with them .My dad been gone for several years now thanks dad for taking me racing

12/13/22, 10:09 AM   #16
opnwhlmnd

Been to 397 different tracks through the years.

Mini Eldora I-55 Raceway Pevely, MO is my favorite. I have the most laps in my racing at co-favorite Jacksonville Speedway.

Defunct tracks really liked Linn County Speedway in Pleasanton, KS, Dyersburg TN, and Manzanita

12/13/22, 10:29 AM   #17
SpfldMile

You can tell by my name that my favorite track is the Springfield Mile. It’s a once a year thing, but it has been a huge part of my life, and I love it. We are blessed with some great tracks in central Illinois, but Jacksonville is my favorite weekly track. It’s a fast, elbows up bullring, and they know how to run a good program. I like the old, covered grandstand and the nice, clean area underneath. My honorable mentions go to Terre Haute and Granite City. Half miles are just different for sprint cars. The speed is exciting and the infield at TH is great for getting close to it. Granite is another great facility, and I wish they had more open wheel shows.

12/13/22, 10:51 AM   #18
cmakin

Kind of a tough one. I guess we all remember our "first" track rather fondly, and I am very lucky that it is still operating, especially because it is in California. I will always be partial to Placerville since it is the first track where I attended a race, and ended up working there and migrating into the booth before I quit to go to college. I like all tracks, for the most part, and for different reasons. Since I have been shooting for the lase umpteen years or so, every track has its plusses and minuses. Some may be great for racing, and others great for shooting. Down here in Houston, several of the tracks that were open when I first moved here in the late 80s, and where I ended up being the regular shooter are gone. In reality, I am just happy to be at a track when I have the opportunity.

12/13/22, 11:11 AM   #19
Moreland76

I’m partial to Kokomo, but everyone of the Indiana tracks offer unique differences. The two things I personally miss are being at Warsaw and the tremendous view with the lake off the backstretch. The other would be when we would go the oldBurg. The covered grandstands and the cars parked around the track.New Burg is an awesome facility but much like Eldora it just feels different to me.

12/13/22, 12:20 PM   #20
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Wow there is some really great answers/responses here. Lots of these tracks I've never been to, some never even heard of, granted I'm only 40. Some was already gone before me. Well said Snow, my dad is gone and I owe him a huge thank you for taking me as a kid to Kokomo every week and obviously Funk and The O'connor Family for getting me back into racing along with Funk and his/our buddies taking me to many different tracks. T.H. infield is awesome, I do love that aspect of the track.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Partial To A Specific Track???