IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oval Nationals Purse
9/26/19, 8:08 PM   #11
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint63122 View Post
Glad to see someone finally noticed this took place and I do not blame Perris Speedway one bit for doing this. Everyone can thank the wonderful leadership at the Usac home office for killing another high paying event what little there was of these to start with.
You should probably get some facts before you make comments that you have no knowledge of. Maybe it's not 25k to win because All Coast isn't sponsoring the event anymore? But let's not use logical thinking to figure out why the purse was reduced. Hopefully they can get a big sponsor but time is running out, that race made driving to the West coast worth it for the Midwest teams, now with it reduced that could be a big hit to the USAC regulars.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, JMA1181, opnwhlmnd
9/26/19, 10:04 PM   #12
Re: Oval Nationals Purse
ossuks

All 9 of the USAC cars will show up along with a few others. Throw in the CRA cars and there will be plenty.

9/27/19, 12:17 AM   #13
Non wing lover

Ossuks what is the reason that the purse has dropped? What's going on?

9/27/19, 3:33 AM   #14
opnwhlmnd

If you watch USAC/CRA shows from Perris on Flo the crowds are worse than horrible.
They interviewed Kruser and Super Rickie one night and they both were hopeful opnwhl racing could be saved in SC. They pleaded with the fans to bring a friend next time they come to Perris.

It's all part of a master plan by USAC to partner with CRA and other clubs to drive people away from dirt tracks so they won't have to travel out of Indiana in future seasons.

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
9/27/19, 7:25 AM   #15
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

The west coast racing scene is complicated at best. The PAS is a top 3 dirt track facility. Lack of fan support is the primary driver to a lower purse.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
9/27/19, 7:48 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Maybe the nationals should be held in Feb-Early March. I got friends that go to Arizona or Cali for the winter and do go to those CRA shows. But they aren't there in Nov. They usually stay here till Xmas.

2 members like this post: erich45, jim goerge
9/27/19, 8:15 AM   #17
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I'd like to see the season start there!

1 member likes this post: erich45
9/27/19, 9:37 AM   #18
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non wing lover View Post
Ossuks what is the reason that the purse has dropped? What's going on?
JMO...looking at 35 cars, maybe stretch to 40, but, I think 35 is a solid number.From a spectator stand point 32 cars is a full show, so car count is not an issue. It cost ? just to have an event, I have no idea what the nut is to open the gate when you figure in rent or mortgage payment, insurance on both sides of the fence, week long prep, lights, water, electric, track equipment, salaries, sanction fee to USAC ect... then you throw in a $100,000 purse, YOU HAVE A BIG NUT TO CRACK....My guess is $ 140, 000 would be close to break even. So, with those numbers you need about 4000 people total in grandstand and pit area...and that is a break even number!!! So, you need a solid sponsor contribution to make this event have the big purse!!! Now, to be a little negative, if the purse was $100,000 you might pick up 3-5 more mid west cars. The rest will be there if it is a $28,000 purse.
Last edited by ossuks; 9/27/19 at 9:41 AM.

9/27/19, 1:21 PM   #19
curtv10

Went to the 2018 Oval Nationals as a first timer and enjoyed the race overall, for me that came with a fairly large amount of spend between airfare, rental car, Hotel and food. What struck me was that good reserved tickets were fairly easy to get a month or so before the race and didn't cost all that much under $100. Not sure if it's the Southern California market that won't pay higher ticket but prices but I honestly expected it to be more. Likely spent almost as much on $10 beer that weekend as tickets.

My point is one would think for a showcase racing program they could raise ticket prices to help support expenses and pay a good purse. Hate to see this show become just another race on the schedule. Do get the point about basically getting the same cars no matter what the purse is but hopefully a sponsor will step up in the next month.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oval Nationals Purse