IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: UMP Summer Nationals at TSS
7/8/14, 10:44 AM   #11
Re: OT: UMP Summer Nationals at TSS
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by big3131 View Post
were are they running Thursday?
Florence today, THAT tomorrow, Macon Thursday.

7/8/14, 11:18 AM   #12
Morin Racing 98

Race Count Last Year: 27

The track was fast and smooth, and Chris Nunn is right....VERY DUSTY.....almost the worst I have ever seen (excluding THAT during a day race)...but the track crew done a great job keeping the show rolling with over 80 cars there and it was over around 10:30 p.m. CST.

Maybe I am wrong, but I didn't think the racing was very good at all (there were some moments though as mentioned by some other posters on this thread).....my idea of a good race is passing, side by side action, sliders, etc. but these things were a rarity on this night. This is the 2nd time I have been down to TSS this season and have walked away disappointed with the racing both times. I love the facility, the quality of the field was stellar, but something is not quite working....the leaders of almost every race were able to stay in front and everyone else was just chasing them. I know they qualified, and Moyer was on his game all night......but the first late model heat had 8 cars all running the top, and spread out all over the track. I don't think there was one pass in that race after the initial start. This happened a few weeks ago at the MSCS race also. Last week's Dirty 30 program was the USAC sprints from back in May at TSS and MDC won by over 8 seconds and lapped all the way up to like 5th place? I am sure I am in the minority here, but that isn't good racing and I would have probably put that night in the dissappointment category as well. It is cool to see race cars go really fast around a track like TSS, but after you get tired of seeing just that, then you want to see some actual "racing" and not just "chasing".

The place is almost too fast for it's own good...I do understand why they have to re-work the track due to the composition of the racing surface. If they didn't re-work it, we wouldn't have been able to see the cars on the track during the feature. BUT....perhaps something to kill the dust besides just water might be the key to providing better racing in the features. I am not a track preparation guy, but water just makes the first half of the feature like a heat race.

I love TSS, I do not want to bulldoze it down, and I will be back to see more races there........I just want to see better racing for my $25 at a track considered by almost everyone as one of the best tracks in the country.

Am I wrong here? fire away.......

1 member likes this post: bigq11
7/8/14, 12:17 PM   #13
racenut69

100 Laps at Macon,IL: Herald and Review 100,Babb and Weaver going for #5.....

7/8/14, 1:07 PM   #14
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by big3131 View Post
were are they running Thursday?
big, the UMP Summernational tour will be at Mighty Macon Speedway in Macon, Illinois for the Herald & Review 100. This is usually the best race of the series and it's the only 100 lapper of the Summernational tour.

I've been going to Mighty Macon for the Herald & Review 100 since in the mid 1980's and traditionally it's the best dirt late model race we attend all season, and that includes over 20 trips to Eldora for the World Hundred and a few Dirt Late Model Dream's thrown in, as well.

It used to be years ago there was no support classes for the H & R 100 but in recent years they ran 3 or 4. Happily, they are back to just the mortifieds as a support class, which is good. If Macon rubbers up there is only one groove and it's a huggy pole train race. That has happened a few times when there were a bunch of support classes, hopefully with just the mortifieds as a support class that won't be the case Thursday night.

Just wish they'd only run 1 class in support of the POWRi midgets and micro's.

Not a big dirt late model kinda' guy but that's about all there is to see for us over here in The Land O' Lincoln and crooked politicians so we'll be there Thursday night for sure.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT: UMP Summer Nationals at TSS