IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on Kokomo last night
10/17/20, 9:02 PM   #11
Longtime sprinter

I stayed awake until the Sprint feature started, next thing I know I’m waking up and the Flo screen is running that ribbon thing, race was over. No reason for a race to drag out that long.

2 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, jim goerge
10/17/20, 10:23 PM   #12
Rpracing1

Sprint feat was a snoozer. You missed nothing.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/18/20, 1:01 PM   #13
Re: Thoughts on Kokomo last night
Jonr

Marathon shows are never good. Once again, every track should have a curfew. Even if it is a self imposed curfew. With a curfew, the promoter is faced to make decisions.

Several tracks that I have been at will announce the laps or the time elapsed. This race is going to be 20 laps or 20 minutes. If the drivers want to stop on the track to bring out the caution, it will only impact themselves. If the drivers want to ride under yellow for 5 minutes complaining about the line up, it only impact themselves.

Should we stop the show and spend 10 minutes doing trophy presentations after each race or should we bring all of the winners out after the last race and do it all at once?

Our intermission will be 10 minutes, racing will restart promptly at 9:00pm.

There are dozens of ways to speed up a show. All promoters should use them.

10/18/20, 1:09 PM   #14
racefan20

I think you guys are missing the point of this race. Just like Brownstown a few weeks ago this show is MEANT to be a marathon. If any of you paid attention to the previous runnings of this race it is almost always way more cars than you would get at a usual show and has always run late into the night. If you are not into a bunch of cars then dont go(or dont watch on flo).

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

10/18/20, 1:33 PM   #15
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

It didn't help that there was 2 lengthy accidents that happened out of the tracks control. Obviously first thing first glad Dave was well taken care of and it wasnt as bad as it could have been, 2nd the fan that fell or whatever happened in the pits..no control of the track. Things didn't go as smoothly as hoped but once things got going it rolled pretty nicely. The klash brings in big car counts and a lot of racing and all in all it went pretty well. Sorry you guys had a bad experience.

Tk

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
10/18/20, 2:35 PM   #16
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

I agree with Racefan and CW. This is a unique end of the year show. Fan and teams know what to expect. If the teams did not like it, why would nearly 300 cars show up? Last night the late model winner was from MI. Fri night I sat in that cold. Only complaint was the show started over an hour late. The track could not control the lengthy accidents or what happened pitside. Nor could they control the rain showers that hit. Where I was sitting, I heard no complaints. Seem like more complaining by the keyboard jockey's than the people that were there.

10/19/20, 8:55 AM   #17
Josh Spencer

Sorry for the late response, but wanted to fill you in on some things that just didn’t fall into place on Friday night. One took a little longer to get the track worked in than anticipated, with all the cars we wanted a good track at the end of the night. Two we had many transponder issues, during hot lap/qualifying. Three we had one ambulance, we usually have two. We will not race if the ambulance is not in the infield we had an incident in the pits that they had to tend to and we had another one on the backstretch that put a hold on the racing. Saturday went much smoother and with close to 300 cars was done around 12. Yes, this race does last longer than a normal show at Kokomo, but when you have close to 450 -500 cars total for both nights, it’s going to run later than normal. We are sorry and guarantee a regular show does not run that late. Thank you to all of the fans and drivers who showed up, we hope to see you all October 23rd for the modifieds and WOO late model B mains and then there features. Saturday the 24th is the WOO sprints and non wing sprints!

Thanks, Josh Spencer

10/19/20, 12:43 PM   #18
kb78

I wouldn't worry too much about this Josh. I think end of the year programs like this are notoriously long due to car counts and the fact that the program is out of it's element. Some folks come on here and want to tell you how much they love racing as long as it's sprints only and the winner comes from the back row and there is no dust and no rocks and they are home in time to watch Big Brother. Other folks know that when you go to a race in October you are probably going to get cold. #GYATK

10/19/20, 1:13 PM   #19
Josh Spencer

Thanks for the kind words, I’m not worried just wanted everyone to know what was going on behind the scenes that occurred. Thanks for supporting Kokomo! See you all in a few days!

Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb78 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about this Josh. I think end of the year programs like this are notoriously long due to car counts and the fact that the program is out of it's element. Some folks come on here and want to tell you how much they love racing as long as it's sprints only and the winner comes from the back row and there is no dust and no rocks and they are home in time to watch Big Brother. Other folks know that when you go to a race in October you are probably going to get cold. #GYATK

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on Kokomo last night