IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
brown11b (Offline)
  #71 3/11/23 8:36 AM
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois:
Back in the day the fair board thought they had a good promoter with the banker. The improvements to the racetrack were being done as needed. That was until they found out that what it cost for the improvements was being paid for by the banker and the banker was putting liens onto the property for that amount. Someone discovered that the banker was about to pay the liens and take over the property. So several rich farmers came and paid the lien. This was the story from a USAC racer who lived in Terre Haute at the time. The truth is that no money can be made by any promoter who takes over the racing at THAT. Half mile dirt tracks are a thing of the past as it costs more to race on a half mile than 1/4- and 3/8-mile tracks, these tracks are where the action is.
Im not sure how you can honestly say that 1/2 miles are a thing of the past and promoters cant make money.

Port Royal just announced they are increasing their payout this season for weekly shows to $5000 to win. A promoter loosing money doesnt do that.

Of the top of my head Knoxville, Eldora, Williams Grove, Volusia, and Devils Bowl are all going strong as 1/2 mile race tracks.
5 Likes: cowboyhar69, flagboy55, oppweld, The Old Coyote, tirespinner
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #72 3/11/23 8:59 AM
Originally Posted by brown11b:
Im not sure how you can honestly say that 1/2 miles are a thing of the past and promoters cant make money.

Port Royal just announced they are increasing their payout this season for weekly shows to $5000 to win. A promoter loosing money doesnt do that.

Of the top of my head Knoxville, Eldora, Williams Grove, Volusia, and Devils Bowl are all going strong as 1/2 mile race tracks.

I get his point in a way. Eldora used to draw well over a hundred for a major LM race. Now in the 60s but the same can be said for the jackson 100, north south 100 etc. It's not necessarally the tracks but number of cars . Tons of tracks out there of many sizes running seven classes of ten cars each.

Charles Nungester