IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Open Wheel Driver Protection Halos - F1
3/12/16, 10:01 AM   #1
Open Wheel Driver Protection Halos - F1
Stevensville Mike

With the 2016 IndyCar season upon us, the memory of Justin Wilson's passing brings us back to the topic of driver safety. Tethers are going to be in place for various parts/pieces of the cars.

On the topic of canopies or halos, F1 did some testing with halos earlier this year. Here are pics of the Ferraris with prototype devices for driver protection.

Bear in mind these are first concept devices.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
3/12/16, 3:45 PM   #2
Re: Open Wheel Driver Protection Halos - F1
chrismattlin

Mine may not be a popular opinion on this subject, but I say in lieu of a halo or canopy, major open-wheel racing simply needs to find some drivers with balls who won't whine about the racing being "too dangerous". After watching that exhilarating Indycar race at Fontana last season, it was disheartening hearing drivers like Will Power piss and moan about how it was "crazy" and "nuts". I'd bet there's scores of capable drivers out there who would be willing to strap in. Indycar is not supposed to be "safe"; and the minute it is, is the minute that it will become (completely) irrelevant.

3/12/16, 4:16 PM   #3
wright59

Bear in mind that Will Power pisses and moans every weekend that he race's. I love Indy car racing and would love to see Penske replace so I wouldn't have to hear him whine again.

2 members like this post: duel, jim goerge
3/12/16, 5:12 PM   #4
Puppy

Looks terrible! May work fine until a guy gets upside down and it breaks off and cuts the guys head off..
Also keep in mind that its easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize a driver as being a sissy, I bet Power has done more brave things in a race car than almost anyone on IOW can even imagine! Remember Jackie Stewart was criticized as being a sissy, yet he STILL went out and put the hammer down and won races in arguably the most dangerous of times(in motorsports).

2 members like this post: monkeyboy, smcd5M
3/12/16, 7:02 PM   #5
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
Mine may not be a popular opinion on this subject, but I say in lieu of a halo or canopy, major open-wheel racing simply needs to find some drivers with balls who won't whine about the racing being "too dangerous". After watching that exhilarating Indycar race at Fontana last season, it was disheartening hearing drivers like Will Power piss and moan about how it was "crazy" and "nuts". I'd bet there's scores of capable drivers out there who would be willing to strap in. Indycar is not supposed to be "safe"; and the minute it is, is the minute that it will become (completely) irrelevant.
You drive?

3 members like this post: hoscalecody, Mattmac05, ossuks
3/12/16, 10:42 PM   #6
Backitin

I personally get tired of hearing Indy guys whining about the dangers, seems to be mostly European drivers. Not so much the danger about the cars but they get a good pass put on them and they act like they were slapped in the face.
Don't forget some of us remember when way more guys were injured and killed for a lot less.
I don't drive currently but I do have a twice broken neck from racing, for nothing.
So ball up men if you want to except the big bucks and glory.

3/13/16, 11:19 AM   #7
BrentTFunk

I think part of the reason those guys complain is they are not used to racing with other cars all around them. If they did it more than once a year they would be more comfortable. Power is right when he says it is nuts, and that is what makes it great to watch. I am all for improving safety, and I wonder if a supermodified style roll cage would do the same thing. Indycar puts on better racing than NASCAR, but draws worse ratings. I used to go to the race at Chicagoland. You could get a ticket for $20, and sit wherever you wanted, because the no one was there.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 3/13/16 at 11:37 AM.

3/14/16, 3:58 AM   #8
LocalYokel

You guys are all 40 years too late. Lots of people complained when they put cages on sprintcars, midgets, and the champ dirt cars. "Real men don't need cages" "They'll too fearless and the cages will cause more accidents" blah blah blah. History has proven that the racing will still be great, and if a few less drivers get killed than even better. Racing will never be a safe sport, but there is no logical reason to not make the cars as safe as possible. Ask someone who has lost a father, son, husband, or any other family member what they think about saftey innovations. I'm sure that they are all for them.

3/14/16, 10:05 AM   #9
Stevensville Mike

Here is the link to the article on racer.com with respect to IndyCar drivers weighing in on halos and driver protection:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12...ct-to-f1-halos

Tony Kanaan pointed something out that I never thought about and that is some IndyCar tracks are banked. Unlike road courses, the drivers are not necessarily looking straight ahead on oval tracks and the bars/devices designed to protect the drivers might hinder sight lines. But also, the comments were based upon the F1 concept shown above in the thread.

James Hinchcliffe also pointed out that this above concept might not prevent smaller objects from striking the driver, such as the suspension piece that hit Felipe Massa in the head years ago in Hungary.

Safety devices will more than likely be put in place sooner or later for these drivers whether the fans like it or not. Said debate amongst us fans started last year on this forum. I do not wish to rehash it. I only meant for this thread to enlighten us fans of the going-ons in the open wheel world with respect to driver protection and the evolution of the products as they are enhanced and refined.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Puppy
3/14/16, 10:25 AM   #10
ossuks

I always try to look at the drivers as Father,Son,Husband,Brother,Uncle, and Friends.... I tried a Indy Car simulator and could not get out of the pits without stuffing it the fence!!! ....There is a reason that the list of men with the talent to compete on this level is limited and does not include anyone that ever jumped in a race car...Anything to make them safer is good with me......Over the years I have had the opportunity to work with some extremely intelligent men, some of them designed under trays, some owned safety supply companies, all with safety at the forefront of any design.... I trust there are people in place that are looking at Safety and making EDUCATED enhancements toward driver safety and not knee jerk reactions....Regardless of the type of vehicle safety should be first, not what some think may enhance bravery... Put a bubble around them and the most talented will still prevail!! Anyone that refers to these men as sissy's, chicken ect.. have never truly known any racer on a personal level!
Last edited by ossuks; 3/14/16 at 10:26 AM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Open Wheel Driver Protection Halos - F1