IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Richard Petty Remarks
10/3/20, 5:45 AM   #11
Re: Richard Petty Remarks
Hubie

They have screwed their sport up so bad that are now trying anything, and in this case it's to lure the Friday and Saturday night crowd, (us) to dig in our pockets to make up the shortfall of their poor decisions. Auto Racing is not Football, or Baseball or any other of the major "entertainment" series that blanket the airwaves. Auto Racing is a blood sport. It has a dark side which unfortunately rear's it's ugly head every now and again. Auto Racing used to be for hot rodders and daredevils. We paid our money to see others do what we wish we could do. The current generation is not in love with the car, it is nothing more than a tool to get somewhere. So the hot rodder part is dying quickly as well. I doubt many aluminum intake manifolds and trick ignition systems are being sold to those under 40...... the aftermarket speed equipment has all but dried up..... but Richard is correct, they did want to grow the sport, and in doing so they sold their soul.

I have not watched NASCAR since the common car, so it's been a while. I watch Daytona because it's early in the year and I have a history of watching.... but to pay money to go? Never. It's boring. I am interested in the engines and components that make up the car. And while their engine programs are scientific, I would venture to say that the front running WoO, USAC and Modified Stock Car groups have nothing to be ashamed of. There are some SUPER STOUDT engines being built out there. I'm so impressed with the mills in Brady Bacon's Hoffman ride! WOW, that thing is wicked.

10/3/20, 8:53 AM   #12
dsc1600

Petty is old and definitely represents the old Nascar arrogance which is partly why they are in the place they’re in. 10 years ago every nascar executive would have said the same things. But now they are in a situation where the ratings are so low the networks are telling them “we need to do something”. The fact that Fox basically told them they wanted a dirt race shows how much dirt racing has grown in the last decade.

3 members like this post: interpreter66, Ken Bonnema, oppweld
10/3/20, 9:09 AM   #13
Midget 89

I would love to see NASCAR add some dirt venues.
Last edited by Midget 89; 10/3/20 at 9:12 AM. Reason: Clarity

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
10/3/20, 11:00 AM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sure you should be all inclusive.

But the PC crap is killing the sport. (Every sport for that matter)

People want to see the best racers dueling it out for the win, Tempers and drama happen naturally and don't need to be stirred or made up

Wasn't long ago when NASCARS biggest years were the redneck (Earnhardt) vs the yankee (Gordon)

But somehow racin on dirt is less sophisticated? WTH?
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 10/3/20 at 11:01 AM.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, chrismattlin, davidm
10/3/20, 11:32 AM   #15
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Sure you should be all inclusive.

But the PC crap is killing the sport. (Every sport for that matter)

People want to see the best racers dueling it out for the win, Tempers and drama happen naturally and don't need to be stirred or made up

Wasn't long ago when NASCARS biggest years were the redneck (Earnhardt) vs the yankee (Gordon)

But somehow racin on dirt is less sophisticated? WTH?
I would venture to say its multi-cultural efforts are costing it more fans than it is gaining.

2 members like this post: badcoupe, chrismattlin
10/3/20, 11:49 AM   #16
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
I would venture to say its multi-cultural efforts are costing it more fans than it is gaining.

Please explain?

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
10/3/20, 12:37 PM   #17
badcoupe

Not to stereotype but because the muticultural/pc stuff doesn’t appeal to or is against what their core fan base is used to. Hate to make anything racing political but unfortunately it’s come to that in our society today. I could say more but I respect you all too much to stir anything up.

10/3/20, 2:50 PM   #18
hoscalecody

Personally I say leave Nascar to be Nascar and dirt racing to be dirt racing. Dirt racing doesn't need Nascar. In my opinion, with them bringing the trucks to Eldora, slamming into each other and hitting the wall 7 times a lap, makes dirt racing look like a circus.

2 members like this post: captrat, Pitdad
10/3/20, 5:59 PM   #19
Jonr

Lets look at this from a facilities point of view. I am sure that the dirt tracks in the 60's that RP was wanting to get away from were some of the tracks with the worst facilities. It has only been somewhat recently that some dirt tracks have started to upgrade their games, and there are a ton of tracks that have still have sub-par facilities. When we start dreaming about tracks that have the facilities to host a cup race, the list is very small.

BTW, this reminds me of an interview that Larson had about the possibility of cup cars on dirt (pre-suspension) His basic take was that he was not a fan because of the limited changes that were going to be made to the cup cars. He was also concerned that the tracks would be super locked down. (like most truck races at Eldora)

If I were going to spend money on a race, it would not be for cup cars on dirt. It would be for midgets/sprints/late models on dirt.

4 members like this post: luckybuc97, mc/rider, racenut69, Stevensville Mike
10/4/20, 6:54 AM   #20
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Lets look at this from a facilities point of view. I am sure that the dirt tracks in the 60's that RP was wanting to get away from were some of the tracks with the worst facilities. It has only been somewhat recently that some dirt tracks have started to upgrade their games, and there are a ton of tracks that have still have sub-par facilities. When we start dreaming about tracks that have the facilities to host a cup race, the list is very small.

BTW, this reminds me of an interview that Larson had about the possibility of cup cars on dirt (pre-suspension) His basic take was that he was not a fan because of the limited changes that were going to be made to the cup cars. He was also concerned that the tracks would be super locked down. (like most truck races at Eldora)

If I were going to spend money on a race, it would not be for cup cars on dirt. It would be for midgets/sprints/late models on dirt.
Hammer swung, nail hit on head and driven through board.

Personally, I think when Richard Petty speaks, everyone should put everything down and just listen. His words are like a history book. He brought NASCAR up to a new level in the 70s. To do that NASCAR had to sell America Daytona, which was easy back then. Then came ESPN in 1980-ish and the floodgates opened.

I would like to hear from guys like Ned Jarrett, Red Farmer, Bobby Allison, Cale Yarborough..... do I need to go on?

It would be tough to convince me that the cars they are going to run on dirt are true dirt prepared with NASCAR's micro-management of the rules. In all honesty, this Bristol dirt thing doesn't get me going. I was more excited to see the 2021 IndyCar calendar.

If 2021 happens, of course.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Richard Petty Remarks