IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington Updates
7/20/13, 3:17 AM   #111
fasster23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshoe65s View Post
Wow.. Nice way to bash thousands of modified drivers and fans who aren't even causing any trouble. Heck they aren't even running modifieds tonight.

Posted via Mobile Device
It's a joke and I raced modifieds myself before switching to a sprinter so relax I'm not "bashing" anyone. I've got a dozen buddies who race them every weekend. That's why it's monotonous. You boys are awfully touchy. I'm just gonna go back to reading and not bother posting cause now I'm reminded how much I don't know.

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: duel
7/20/13, 3:42 AM   #112
1koolkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcarfan View Post
Can he get a provisional?
Provisional would have been pointless because you can not receive ISW points when you take a provisional. Plus like he said hunter and hines took them for national points purposes.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/20/13, 7:49 AM   #113
Re: Bloomington Updates
Gregg

Just a few comments about last night.

I would be a liar if I said I was not disappointed with the condition of the track and the subsequent delay, especially with a 125 mile ride home in the wee small hours. "Stuff" happens. This did allow me to find and visit with Bob and Monica, aka Liz and her son, Richie (Murray), Jerry Shaw, John Hoover, C. J. Leary, Chad Boespflug, Nathan Moore, mini-Sprint driver Jimmy Gardner, Big Steve and a few others. Maybe the delay wasn't long enough because I didn't get to meet Andrew Quinn and didn't make the return trip to chat with Bob Gatton.

After they worked and watered the track it was much improved and the track prep equipment stayed parked the rest of the evening. All things considered I enjoyed my one visit to Bloomington for the year.

Good call by Jason McCord and USAC for scratching the Last chance races for this evening.

About the track, Nathan Moore put it in perspective. His response, "Hell, in Texas we race on tracks like that all the time." I really like this guy and hope he will make the move North.

Congrats to Bryan Clauson for putting it in the circle. Looks like he is peaking at the right time.

Did not darken my door this morning until 2:35AM. I'm tired this morning from the late night but my hooligan dogs don't seem to care. They still demand attention and so does my lawn for that matter.

Friday news flashes, a women fell to her death from a roller coaster in Texas, wildfires in California and Bloomington Speedway had a bad track early in the evening. I think we can figure out which one does not belong with the other two.

That's all I got. We now return you to our regularly scheduled program.
Last edited by Gregg; 7/20/13 at 8:17 AM.

7/20/13, 10:57 AM   #114
cowboyhar69

CLAUSON CLAMPS DOWN BLOOMINGTON “SPRINTWEEK” FEATURE

Bloomington, Indiana…….Bryan Clauson of Noblesville, Indiana started the week with some tough nights, but he’s finding his groove late in the week. On Friday night at Bloomington Speedway, he made it back-to-back wins as he won the 30-lapper for Round 6 of “Indiana Sprintweek” and took the week-long point lead in the process.

Three-time winner this week, Kevin Thomas, Jr., jumped from outside the front row and appeared to be headed for an amazing fourth win of the week and a strong point lead heading into the finale on Saturday at Tri-State Speedway. He opened up a huge lead as Clauson worked on Ryan Bernal for second.

Just as Clauson moved to the second spot, Thomas encountered traffic and his progress slowed. Clauson closed in quickly, looking to the outside in turn-three before driving by Thomas for the lead off turn-two on lap 18. Thomas’ troubles continued, as he was losing power steering.

Chase Stockon and Brady Bacon also were making moves and ran down Thomas as they stayed in lapped traffic. Thomas continued to fade before finally flying off the track and bringing out the caution with two laps to go. Clauson was unstoppable, though, and he held off Stockon by .551 seconds to win in the Tony Stewart/Curb-Agajanian Racing – Chevy Performance #20 Beast/Kistler.

“This is huge for us to back it up and win again tonight. Our car was really maneuverable, which was really important tonight, especially in traffic. It was a timing game to hit a run and get by him up there. (Crew chief) Bob (East) made a couple great adjustments prior to the race. I was happy to see the late cautions just to get us out of traffic,” Clauson said.

Stockon picked up his first podium finish of the week in the Superior Tank & Trailer – Crescent Electric Supply #32 DRC/Fisher.

“Lapped cars kinda helped me get to second, and I thought we might have a shot at Bryan. Then, they seemed to go the other way on me. I was just trying to hit my marks, and luckily we hung on for second. We had the car pretty free, and that definitely paid off for us,

Bacon came home third in the Hoffman Auto Racing – Mean Green #69 Triple X/Stanton Mopar, moving up to second in points for the week in the process.

“We left the car super free to try to be able to roll around guys. We’ll take another good finish. We’re finally picking up some consistency, and this last half of Sprintweek has been really good for us,” Bacon said.

ProSource “Fast Qualifier” Chris Windom finished fourth in the Jeff’s Jam-It-In Storage – Hoosier Tire #11 Maxim/Claxton, and Bernal rounded out the top-five in the Josh Ford Motorsports – King Racing Products #73 Spike/Kistler.

With the win, Clauson goes into Saturday’s finale with a 26-point lead over Bacon in the standings.

“I’ve been through enough of these to know that it’s not over yet. I knew that when we were down quite a few points, too. So much can happen over a week, and you just have to make the best of bad situations when you have them. Fortunately, we were able to do that and have a little something to work with tomorrow,” Clauson said.

AMSOIL USAC SPRINT CAR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RACE RESULTS: July 19, 2013 – Bloomington, Indiana – Bloomington Speedway – “Indiana Sprintweek”

QUALIFYING: 1. Chris Windom, 11, Walker-11.357; 2. Brady Bacon, 69, Dynamics-11.368; 3. Bryan Clauson, 20, Stewart-11.397; 4. Chase Stockon, 32, 32 TBI-11.480; 5. Kevin Thomas, 17RW, Dutcher-RW/Tri-Star-11.506; 6. Ryan Pace, 44, Pace-11.564; 7. Ryan Bernal, 73, Ford-11.573; 8. Justin Grant, 21x, Pollock-11.589; 9. C.J. Leary, 30, Leary-11.613; 10. Wes McIntyre, 83, McIntyre-11.685; 11. Mark Smith, 1m, Smith-11.715; 12. Tyler Courtney, 23c, Courtney-11.733; 13. Christopher Bell, 67, Kunz-11.766; 14. Dave Darland, 71p, Phillips-11.775; 15. Jon Stanbrough, 66, Wade-11.815; 16. Kyle Cummins, 3c, Cummins-11.826; 17. Chris Gurley, 12G, Team Automotive-11.838; 18. Danny Holtsclaw, 3H, Holtsclaw-11.847. 19. Blake Fitzpatrick, 10F, Fitzpatrick-11.861; 20. Chad Boespflug, 56, Fox-11.871; 21. A.J. Hopkins, 14H, Hopkins-11.884; 22. Jace Vander Weerd, 88, Vander Weerd-11.899; 23. Shane Cottle, 2, Epperson-11.909; 24. Nick Drake, 55, Cline-11.911; 25. Kevin Studley, 57x, Studley-11.916; 26. Richard Vander Weerd, 10, Vander Weerd-11.924; 27. Tracy Hines, 4, Hines-11.928; 28. Robert Ballou, 12x, Ballou-11.956; 29. Kent Schmidt, 5k, Schmidt-12.002; 30. Bobby East, 5E, East-12.010; 31. Jeff Bland, 38, Bland-12.036; 32. Logan Jarrett, 29, Jarrett-12.109; 33. Nick Bilbee, 17N, Bilbee-12.116; 34. Nathan Moore, 48, Moore-12.127; 35. Dalten Gabbard, 77x, Walker-12.139; 36. Chad Shields, 81, Shields-12.217; 37. Hunter Schuerenberg, 35, Byram-12.348; 38. Brady Short, 11p, Pottorff-12,387; 39. Aaron Farney, 15F, Farney-12.414; 40. Chris Babcock, 35x, Babcock-12.561; 41. Dakota Jackson, 3, Jackson-12.591; 42. Jake Simmons, 3x, Simmons-12.742; 43. Brian Hayden, 77, Wingo-NT; 44. Carson Short, 21c, Short-NT; 45. Ethan Barrow, 15, Barrow-NT; 46. Casey Shuman, 21k, Krockenberger-NT.

FIRST HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Gurley, 2. Hopkins, 3. Windom, 4. Thomas, 5. Schuerenberg, 6. Jackson, 7. Bilbee, 8. Schmidt, 9. Leary, 10. Studley, 11. Bell. NT

SECOND HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Holtsclaw, 2. McIntyre, 3. Darland, 4. Bacon, 5. Pace, 6. East, 7. J.Vander Weerd, 8. Moore, 9. B.Short, 10. Simmons, 11. R.Vander Weerd. NT

THIRD HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Fitzpatrick, 2. Cottle, 3. Bernal, 4. Clauson, 5. Stanbrough, 6. Hines, 7. Gabbard, 8. Smith, 9. Bland, 10. Farney. 2:02.08

FOURTH HEAT: (10 laps) 1. Grant, 2. Courtney, 3. Ballou, 4. Stockon, 5. Drake, 6. Jarrett, 7. Cummins, 8. Babcock, 9. Boespflug, 10. Shields, 11. C.Short. NT

SEMI: (12 laps) 1. Leary, 2. Pace, 3. Bell, 4. Smith, 5. Cummins, 6. R.Vander Weerd, 7. East, 8. Boespflug, 9. Stanbrough, 10. Drake, 11. Schuerenberg, 12. Gabbard, 13. Moore, 14. Farney, 15. C.Short, 16. Bilbee, 17. Jarrett, 18. Schmidt, 19. Jackson, 20. Hines, 21. B.Short, 22. Babcock, 23. Shields. NT

FEATURE: (30 laps) 1. Bryan Clauson, 2. Chase Stockon, 3. Brady Bacon, 4. Chris Windom, 5. Ryan Bernal, 6. Dave Darland, 7. Justin Grant, 8. Christopher Bell, 9. Wes McIntyre, 10. C.J. Leary, 11. Ryan Pace, 12. Kyle Cummins, 13/ Tracy Hines, 14. Richard Vander Weerd, 15. Chris Gurley, 16. Kevin Thomas Jr., 17. ‘A.J. Hopkins, 18. Blake Fitzpatrick, 19. Hunter Schuerenberg, 20. Tyler Courtney, 21. Danny Holtsclaw, 22. Mark Smith, 23. Shane Cottle, 24. Robert Ballou. NT
--------------------------------
FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-17 Thomas, 18-30 Clauson.

NEW AMSOIL NATIONAL SPRINT POINTS: 1-Clauson-1,107, 2-Darland-1,100, 3-Thomas-1,061, 4-Bacon-1,050, 5-Stockon-998, 6-Schuerenberg-946, 7-Ballou-879, 8-Hines-877, 9-Windom-722, 10-Cottle-707.

NEW INDIANA SPRINT WEEK POINTS: 1-Clauson-338, 2-Bacon-312, 3-Thomas-307, 4-Darland-296, 5-Bell-288, 6-Stanbrough-272, 7-Windom-268, 8-McIntyre-258, 9-Stockon-254, 10-Cottle-242.

NEXT AMSOIL NATIONAL SPRINT RACE: July 20 – Haubstadt, Indiana – Tri-State Speedway – “Indiana Sprintweek”

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

3 members like this post: jim goerge, mowerman, ronmil
7/20/13, 12:30 PM   #115
dirtfan98

Race Count This Year: 10
Race Count Last Year: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfordsville410fans View Post
What happened in the pits and what happened to Brian Hayden, seen his hauler heading out, Pat Sullivan won't say?????

Posted via Mobile Device
Hayden left cause he didn't cross scales after qualifying they took his time away! He wasn't the only one to miss scales I watched a couple others do it! then when the car hit the trailer during that down time I watched a usac official put cones in the way so they knew where to go! Both sides messed up but he shouldn't have lost his time cause where he was parked didn't go the way the scales where! they were in a bad spot! Brian was pissed and left! Kind of a stupid, but it is what it is! on a different note sad about the way the track was turned out better after rework but was super fast but not a great deal of passing! Congrats to Clauson for the second straight night he was on a rail!

7/20/13, 12:39 PM   #116
Clydesdale

The scales seem to be in the same place everytime USAC comes to Bloomington, right there at the end as they come off the track. And also, if he wasn't sure, and you know the rules about going right to the scales, wouldn't you have found out before you went out to qualify?

3 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, CRP Products, monkeyboy
7/20/13, 1:32 PM   #117
Dannypollock24

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 30 +

I find it quite amazing with some of you people on here. If we were at LPS last night this thread would be lit up with all the bashing you all can think of, but since it isn't everyone wants to defend Bloomington and sugar coat a very poor job in fact it's the worse track prep all year so far at Bloomington, I have never seen a track black slick so bad after 2 hot lap sessions that was horrible.

Yes the track was fast after the long track repair but it was one lane follow the leader all up to the feature for the most part and was extremely rough out there. Sitting in the stands and being in the car is way different, just ask the drivers who are mad about last night it's not me making this up.

The guys who loaded up like Hayden they were smart there was no chance they could transfer to the feature starting on the tail of everything all they would have got was wear n tear on equipment.

The only race that was good was the feature finally they could pass.

I know you are gonna jump at the shot to bash me now and I really don't care, i'm sick of seeing LPS get bashed for little things and when they have a awesome track like Thursday nobody even has anything good to say!

Someone has to finally say something so I guess it will be me and for those who said you should be happy to be at a race, no i'm not I paid for a night of racing not for just an A Main.

Congrats Clauson on getting it done again looks like he is gonna try to be the 2nd guy to win 3 straight in Sprint Week.

Danny 24

7/20/13, 2:35 PM   #118
SPRINTCAR

So many people on here seem territorial. To me they all appear to attend the same track. Let it begin boys.....
JMO

7/20/13, 2:56 PM   #119
kcarm92

Danny you just said what i have thinking, since last night, no not alot of passing seen some guys that were fast just no were to pass maybe throw a slider and crash them both. jmo

7/20/13, 3:01 PM   #120
INRacingFan

Race Count This Year: 10
Race Count Last Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannypollock24 View Post
I find it quite amazing with some of you people on here. If we were at LPS last night this thread would be lit up with all the bashing you all can think of, but since it isn't everyone wants to defend Bloomington and sugar coat a very poor job in fact it's the worse track prep all year so far at Bloomington, I have never seen a track black slick so bad after 2 hot lap sessions that was horrible.

Yes the track was fast after the long track repair but it was one lane follow the leader all up to the feature for the most part and was extremely rough out there. Sitting in the stands and being in the car is way different, just ask the drivers who are mad about last night it's not me making this up.

The guys who loaded up like Hayden they were smart there was no chance they could transfer to the feature starting on the tail of everything all they would have got was wear n tear on equipment.

The only race that was good was the feature finally they could pass.

I know you are gonna jump at the shot to bash me now and I really don't care, i'm sick of seeing LPS get bashed for little things and when they have a awesome track like Thursday nobody even has anything good to say!

Someone has to finally say something so I guess it will be me and for those who said you should be happy to be at a race, no i'm not I paid for a night of racing not for just an A Main.

Congrats Clauson on getting it done again looks like he is gonna try to be the 2nd guy to win 3 straight in Sprint Week.

Danny 24
Danny I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. I'm a Bloomington Regular, and while I haven't been able to get to LPS at all this year (mostly due to work), I've been there many times in the past and know full well how slicked off it can get at times. And yet, indeed, people bash them for it frequently.

Last night was utterly embarrassing and inexcusable. How could you possibly mess up track prep on the BIGGEST Race Night of your season? If anything Bloomington should indeed take the bashing to heart and hopefully take what they learned in the rework and can make things better. Yes, weather has been rough (With lots of rain earlier in the year and now the heat), but to me it seems to be a rather frequent occurrence this year and the crew should really take a step back and rethink things.

For those that aren't regulars keep this in mind, that Bloomington tries to prep a track that can be raced on all night with 2 grooves and with no reworking. And understand too it's still a relatively new group of people who usually is doing the prepping. So naturally there's gonna be bad nights. But I think they're asking too much for perfection when they are still trying to figure things out.
Still, either they need to take lessons/pointers from Say Tom at Haubstadt or even the O'Conner's at Kokomo, heck even Mike who used to do all the prepping for many years, or they need to adapt a different strategy and think about a light-rework/touch up sometime around B or A-main time.

I'm not gonna say I know how to prep a track or anything, but I do have my suggestions of course.
My main two suggestions:
You have a Tiller Tractor...use it and use it often! Especially Saturday after the races and Nearly ALL DAY Race Day till around 4-4:30 when it then should be misted/dusted (not watered/flooded) and then packed. That thing should be making hundreds of laps a week.
And Secondly, ease up a little on the water on the bottom groove of the track, especially in the corners. Seriously when there's puddles of it sitting there all night even during 80-90 degree sunny days, that's too much. And very seldomly does the bottom slick off much anyways.

May not fix everything, but it might help.

All in all it wasn't the best night overall. It's dirt, things happen, whether you went or stayed home you made your choice and should be happy with it either way (To apply to those that actually had a choice that is). I'm sure many can sit down and think back over the years and realize that during Sprint Week there's always a night or two where things just didn't go well. It happens. It's just can things be learned from it to make things better is the true question?

Congrats to Brian for his great run and awesome battle with KT in traffic!

3 members like this post: JackSam40, jim goerge, the_77H
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington Updates