IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sets RPM Limits For Midgets
10/21/10, 4:37 PM   #11
Re: USAC Sets RPM Limits For Midgets
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I am sure that Mr. Moore will have plenty to say about this and anything else that is bothering him today. There is always a great solution to every problem.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

10/21/10, 4:44 PM   #12
Revolution Racing

At the risk of absolutely ruining my reputation...

I think this is GREAT NEWS!

Our little community of Midget racers has a bad habit of standing around, with hands in pockets, and blabbing away abour every possible reason why an idea WON'T work - to the point where nothing ever is actually ATTEMPTED.

At some point, somebody needs to say 'Heck with all this talk, here is what we're gonna do' and get started. Will there be problems? Yes there will be. So, we fix 'em and keep moving forward. Less talking - more working.

We put a man on the moon, people... you trying to tell me we can't put rev limiters on Midgets if we put our minds to it? Of course we can!

I LIKE where this is headed. It does not exclude anyone. And it has the effect of extending duty cycles thus saving money (potentially).

ECOtecs racing in USAC? First I just have to work my way back onto their Christmas card list....

3 members like this post: dirtracer74, mtek56, Pat O'Connor Fan
10/21/10, 6:26 PM   #13
spicoli

Quick question, since I don't race midgets....

These rpm numbers...8700, 8800 and 9800....

These are LIMITS???

You meant to tell me that you midget racers have been cranking your motors PAST these numbers???

Some of you guys run past 9 grand? 10 grand?

Seriously?

10/21/10, 6:40 PM   #14
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
Where is a Volkswagen when you need it?

http://autocraftengines.com/

2 members like this post: D.O., Hubie
10/21/10, 7:03 PM   #15
v8j

Quote:

some of you guys run past 9 grand? 10 grand?

Seriously?
yes

10/21/10, 7:44 PM   #16
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution Racing View Post
At the risk of absolutely ruining my reputation...

I think this is GREAT NEWS!

Our little community of Midget racers has a bad habit of standing around, with hands in pockets, and blabbing away abour every possible reason why an idea WON'T work - to the point where nothing ever is actually ATTEMPTED.

At some point, somebody needs to say 'Heck with all this talk, here is what we're gonna do' and get started. Will there be problems? Yes there will be. So, we fix 'em and keep moving forward. Less talking - more working.

We put a man on the moon, people... you trying to tell me we can't put rev limiters on Midgets if we put our minds to it? Of course we can!

I LIKE where this is headed. It does not exclude anyone. And it has the effect of extending duty cycles thus saving money (potentially).

ECOtecs racing in USAC? First I just have to work my way back onto their Christmas card list....
There isn't a chance in hell your getting on that list. Shoot you weren't on it to begin with.

1 member likes this post: Revolution Racing
10/21/10, 7:49 PM   #17
SDHill89

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli View Post

These are LIMITS???

You meant to tell me that you midget racers have been cranking your motors PAST these numbers???

Seriously?
Someone said people were hitting 10500 at the Gold Crown this year. I don't know if that's true but that was the rumor I heard.

10/21/10, 7:59 PM   #18
hairracer44

This is all great but how are you going to police this are you going to mandate a computer controlled ignition. That will go over as well as putting starter on the cars and be costly.

How about worrying a little less about engines and look at the cost of shocks and the fact you need a fleet of cars to run pavement and dirt. Let get back to using the same cars on dirt and pavement. This goes for Sprint Midgets and Silver Crown. Now take the cockpit adjustable shocks out of the cars.

All in all lets just go race and have fun. Race what you can afford to race and have fun doing it. I would say I race on a budget but I really don't have a budget to race with but still do what I can do with what I have and feel lucky that I get the chance to race.

10/21/10, 8:00 PM   #19
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Just out of curiosity, how does one enforce this rule? I assume tell-tale tachs can be rigged?

10/21/10, 10:51 PM   #20
LEADERS EDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli View Post

These are LIMITS???

Seriously?
Many Sprint Cars routinely are above 9000 grand.

Overhead cam motors are built to withstand higher rpms. The old Cosworth engines were often over 10 and 11 thou. Hell...We turned our V-6 9400 nearly everywhere and it lasted 15 races between valve springs.

It's just numbers.

No offense Dave but shocks are not even close to the top of the list as far as things that need to be regulated.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 10/21/10 at 10:53 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sets RPM Limits For Midgets