IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Intermission
1/15/17, 3:48 PM   #1
Chili Bowl Intermission
Terry Porter

I get it that the promoters make money by having the event on TV, but when the fans in the stands have an almost 4 hr intermission while waiting on the live television feed to start, something is wrong.

I know they held the parade of states and the Lanny Edwards tribute during that time, but that might cover an hour.

Run the program with a 2 hr tape delay? We were on track to see 28 great races and be out between 7-8p, thus allowing plenty of time to visit with old friends before heading our separate ways once again. Ah well.

This was my 23rd straight year attending; and YES, I'll be back next year. I would just hope the schedule is a bit tighter next year.

1/15/17, 4:05 PM   #2
Re: Chili Bowl Intermission
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I went in '14 and my memory is lousy, but I don't recall that much downtime that year; did the alphabet get run through more quickly, fewer yellows and reds? I imagine it would be tough to plan a 29-"Main" day of racing down to the second, and they can't move the live feed up if they get done early. There are probably contractual obligations between MavTV and Racin Boys not to step on each other's scheduled events so they don't dare run the risk of running late.
I don't know, just spitballing; I don't think, in this instant-gratification/know-the-results-almost-before-it-happens, connected world we live in that a 2-hour tape delay would fly, though...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/15/17, 4:06 PM   #3
cshuman

Orrrr give the D, C, B main cars a hot lap session? Just a thought lol

6 members like this post: BrianD, dtrain10, jim goerge, Kellen Conover, MMiller19, oldfan49
1/15/17, 4:38 PM   #4
Terry Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
Orrrr give the D, C, B main cars a hot lap session? Just a thought lol
I'm guessing they didn't give those groups at hot lap session as I think none of the other mains had a hot lap session, except the A main cars. I might be mistaken as we didn't get to the track until about 130p, in time for the G mains.

1/15/17, 4:42 PM   #5
chathamracefan

There was definitely more down time than recent years. I'm guessing they were trying to build in enough time to get thru all the alphabet in enough time to be ready for tv at 7:30. Obviously had plenty of time. The alphabet races went much smoother than normal it seemed from watching on Racin boys.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
1/15/17, 4:49 PM   #6
Ratso

The length of the downtime was way too long. Next year on Saturday I will show up about 6 PM.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
1/15/17, 4:52 PM   #7
jdull99

They really only did "practice/hot laps" for the A-main only???
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/15/17, 4:58 PM   #8
cshuman

I understand that, but when they were done with the "daytime" program at 4pm, they should have called an audible and fill some time, and let the C, and B cars hot lap. Some guys hadn't fired a car since Tuesday..

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, MMiller19, oppweld, PIT CART
1/15/17, 5:16 PM   #9
Terry Porter

Casey, I'm too lazy to look it up. Who was the other Shuman running this weekend from Wueen Creek AZ?

1/15/17, 5:21 PM   #10
cshuman

Cousin Rick lol

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl Intermission