IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why Fuel Injection?
1/8/17, 5:34 PM   #1
Why Fuel Injection?
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I'm a recent convert to sprints, my background is karting and Dirt Late Models since 1986, so Fuel injection was no where around. I live in the SE(Georgia) and we have no sprints unless a touring outfit comes thru, its been 15 years at least since I saw a WoO show. Anyway as I'm attempting to further my sprint education I wanted to ask, why do sprints almost universally run mechanical fuel injection? Is it a matter of tradition or is there a performance advantage? Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with a new non-wing convert. Secondly, who's system do you prefer and why?

Peace.

1/8/17, 8:32 PM   #2
Re: Why Fuel Injection?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Id go more to the point of why Carburetors? To keep the appearance of a STOCK CAR?

It's more efficient. I remember the whole GM V6 line was junk until they went with injection.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/9/17 at 11:42 AM.

1 member likes this post: Bobby7j
1/8/17, 8:45 PM   #3
Bobby7j

Race Count This Year: 25
Race Count Last Year: 7

I'm an old timer our reason along with a mag you need no battery or charging system!Engler is top or the line on many type applications
Last edited by Bobby7j; 1/8/17 at 8:55 PM.

1/8/17, 9:10 PM   #4
red70racer

Definitely a performance advantage
Single runners feeding fuel to each cylinder never has a lean or rich cylinder like a shared plenum of an intake manifold
There's no float bowl to slosh over, or run dry so you don't have to worry about the g forces in a turn upsetting fuel delivery
With that all said we ran a 305 that had carbs and FI, after initial excelleration the carbureted engines ran competitvly with the FI engines

4 members like this post: Bobby7j, Charles Nungester, PIT CART, tirespinner
1/8/17, 10:33 PM   #5
TQ29m

As a long time friend told me, Aj Watson, don't let fuel injection intimidate you, it is simply a series of leaks and bypasses, fuel supplied by an engine driven fuel pump, which means that you have a speed regulated pump. There are many adjustments that can be made without taking it apart, and also quickly. It takes some thought to figure out how it works, but not impossible, I chose Hilborn because it was a long time ago, and they have some really helpful techs, who are interested in your problem. There are several that are really good also and willing to help, I used to work with Tim Engler on several occasions also, he is super also. I wasn't having any carb issues, but the mechanical injection really improved performance as well as fuel consumption, I'd never look back. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 1/8/17 at 10:51 PM.

3 members like this post: Bobby7j, EBookerFan, tirespinner
1/9/17, 1:37 PM   #6
Turd Ferguson

A pure guess, but I would imagine fuel injection became universal on sprint cars and midgets due to the closer technical connections with Indy cars (engine-wise anyway) in the 50's? It would be fairly easy for a team to justify fuel injection on their Offy powered sprint car if the Offy powered Indy car had it, and sooner or later everyone is on the same bandwagon.

Carbs on late models have been part of the rules all along as far as I know, and would have made more sense in the 70's when late models looked like a street car with fat tires, so maintaining a stock appearing look with a carb would have been appropriate.

1 member likes this post: 2rock21
1/9/17, 3:30 PM   #7
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I appreciate the response, though I think some misunderstood the nature of my query. I'm not looking to prove or disprove the validity of carburetors over injection or vice-versa. My goal is to try and get a non-wing sprint class going in my area, where there are NO SPRINTS. To say I face an uphill battle is an understatement, but that's my goal. I still love dirt late models but recent changes in the rules and the general trend in the class, even the crates has put DLM's completely out of reach, both monetarily wise, tech wise and time and help needed to run competitively. The new rules they put in place I think only further separate the elites from the blue collar more. Having said all that, in my down time last year I discovered a new class called the NorthEast Wingless Sprints, using a GM602 w/HEI and a carb as well as a small transmission and a starter. Now I know pretty much everything about this package makes the diehard sprint guys cringe and feel nauscious, I understand. What you have to understand is, where I am, everything sprint people hold near and dear, is as foreign to us as if it was martian technology.

Now those 602 sprints I think might be inexpensive enough and simple enough to actually get guys to take a chance on racing non-wing sprints. Tracks around me are NOT setup with push vehicles, or push off areas or any of the infrastructure required to pull off a regular sprint show/class. So, the transmission may be a sacrilege in Indiana, but here in Georgia it may just be what swings people over to give sprints a chance. Once they see how much easier they are to work on and how great the racing is I think it'll take off.

In my research I've found 3 likely ways to go powerplant wise, GM602 w/carb, GM604 w/carb, CT525 w/carb and Racesaver 305 w/injection. I don't like the 602, especially since its treated as "disposable" and its anemic, but the price makes people willing to give it a go. After watching an untold number of youtube videos I think the racesaver 305 is the raciest of the group, but the injection and the price of it and the CT525 may be a bridge to far. Another thing to consider is, 305 racesavers Wing cars already exist in the Carolinas and a few I've talked to expressed interest taking their wings off and helping get the class going or at least putting on an exhibition or two. Anyway I've wandered off.

Ok the GM602 is rated at 350HP on gas w/carb, when its switched to alcohol carb it goes to 400HP, would putting injection on it make it anymore powerful or racier? I only ask because I once saw a dyno comparison of an engine switched from carb to injection and the injection made the power curve much flatter, where the carb kinda swung down before regaining on the top end, w/peak power nearly identical. I only mention this as maybe adding injection might make the GM602 race a little better.

1/9/17, 5:09 PM   #8
ChanceDHolley

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 35

A guy named Joe McEwen ran a 602 against the race saver 305s up at Mercer (winged) a few years ago as a test program and parity of power was actually pretty close between the two.

1 member likes this post: Bobby7j
1/9/17, 7:44 PM   #9
TQ29m

OK, why don't you put your money and effort to work with a track owner or promoter to put together a proposal to try to get say a half dozen races in your area, and do some promotional work to get the cars you can to come race in GA, I have a friend in All who has a similar want, he has spent his own money and time, but ends up coming to Indiana to race it just isn't in their genes down there, we used to make at least two trips a season to the hi banks of Atomic Speedway, and had good crowds and good relationship with the people, it takes some thought and work, but can be done. JAT. Bob

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
1/9/17, 8:19 PM   #10
suzuki756

They are so slow . Hard to watch crates sprints

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why Fuel Injection?