IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Affordable Pavement Midget Rules
2/23/20, 11:40 PM   #11
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Why? I think that midget racing on pavement is like midget racing on big tracks. A thing of the past. Lets enjoy the rebirth of midget racing on dirt. Lets enjoy having national and D2 midget groups. Lets not try to recreate the past that we will never get.
Sounds like 2015-16 when there were people who didn't think the Badger deal would work.

6 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, oldfan49, progressive22, racebum, Ray3, tirespinner
2/24/20, 12:45 AM   #12
K92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoors View Post
Affordable and racing? Those 2 words don't go together when taking about racing. MONEY always wins the race. Dirt Cars are dirt cars Pavement cars are pavement cars. ARDC ran both for many years and you couldn't change cars the same car had to be used. With that said it was a disaster all the times they drove pavement.

The chassis for dirt cars are not conducive to pavement and it makes for VERY BAD RACING. A lot of accidents and flips which again equates to money and not Affordable
I have an Ellis dirt midget that won alot of races against some of the top beast pavement cars in the country, so a dirt can can be fast and win on pavement....

3 members like this post: oppweld, Steve Wendel, tirespinner
2/24/20, 1:18 AM   #13
Re: Affordable Pavement Midget Rules
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
If I'm reading the Rules correctly, you can only run a 71" or 72" wheelbase car.
Not exactly. The rule is stating that you must be at least 71" wheelbase and no more than 72". So you can be 71 1/4", 71 1/2" or whatever as long as you are no less than 71" and no more than 72". I find it ridiculous that Midget racing has a 10" difference from the min to the max wheelbase (most groups say 66" to 76" which is nuts).
Last edited by Ray3; 2/24/20 at 1:20 AM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/24/20, 7:16 AM   #14
jdull99

This was "affordable midget racing" before it was "cool" (& long before theoretical threads were started on the internet)...

https://illinimidgets.com/

The 2020 schedule is out (10 races - South Bend, Grundy, Rockford - all pavement)

...they are on a race tire these days...most cars are 2.4L...I imagine some of the cars ran dirt before...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, oppweld, racebum, tirespinner
2/24/20, 9:36 AM   #15
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
This was "affordable midget racing" before it was "cool" (& long before theoretical threads were started on the internet)...

The 2020 schedule is out (10 races - South Bend, Grundy, Rockford - all pavement)

...they are on a race tire these days...most cars are 2.4L...I imagine some of the cars ran dirt before...
First the Illini Series is getting 6 cars on their best day. Second, the Illini Series has always wanted to have a different rule book for each competitor. Once you go faster than their favorite car they go out of their way to write a new rule (weight, restrictors, offsets, etc etc) intended entirely to penalize a guy for winning. And they do it race to race. That's not racing in my opinion. If you want to beat a guy beat him on the track not with the rule book. If you want to change rules do it during the offseason and apply them equally to everyone.
Last edited by Ray3; 2/24/20 at 10:07 AM.

6 members like this post: Crankin, dirtball, K92, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, tirespinner
2/24/20, 12:24 PM   #16
K92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post

"Affordable" midget racing doesn't pay every competitor $150 no matter where you finish

Running with the Illini series is all about getting a participation trophy...

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
2/24/20, 1:17 PM   #17
nodoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Nodoors trolling again or just being a contrarian purely for its own sake. On earlier post saw almost no problem changing wing to non-wing.
Listen Bud Dirt Midget Chassis wer made to transfer weight to the Right Rear, Pavement Chassis are made to transfer weight to the Left Front. Don't give me this Horseshit that you even can contemplate what I am saying My god you are a real Winner and not in a good way

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/24/20, 1:39 PM   #18
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Dial back the harsh,continue on with the discussion

6 members like this post: captrat, DAD, Ken Bonnema, motorhead748, oppweld, tirespinner
2/24/20, 2:20 PM   #19
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Why? I think that midget racing on pavement is like midget racing on big tracks. A thing of the past. Lets enjoy the rebirth of midget racing on dirt. Lets enjoy having national and D2 midget groups. Lets not try to recreate the past that we will never get.
If people want to run Midgets on pavement, more power to them, but it doesn't really interest me....

2 members like this post: nodoors, tirespinner
2/24/20, 3:20 PM   #20
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
If people want to run Midgets on pavement, more power to them, but it doesn't really interest me....
I understand what you’re saying and for the most part agree.... but you should see them at Winchester.

4 members like this post: monkeyboy, oppweld, tirespinner, Tony74
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Affordable Pavement Midget Rules