IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Blocking
2/20/20, 1:10 AM   #1
Blocking
robert gatten

Nascar needs to stop the blocking before another person gets killed. Solution, band rear view mirrors .Sprint cars don't have them , Nascar doesn't need them ether.

2 members like this post: dirtball, jdull99
2/20/20, 1:52 AM   #2
Re: Blocking
nodoors

Its not the Blocking that causes accidents -- It the Restrictor Plates , Bump Drafting and PUSHING that causes them Not the Blocking NASCAR should leave the Power alone and let that enging have all the HP it wants so a car can pass without being pushed from behind. Now you say well the will do 250mph, No they wont Rule the Aero package out to a point and change the tires Rule.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Indy1808, tj39
2/20/20, 2:37 AM   #3
jdull99

I say no spotters either...!

&, get rid of the GWC...at least at those tracks...

But one thing tho...no "restrictor plates" already...its a "tapered spacer" nowdays...lol

https://www.jayski.com/nascar-cup-se...rules-package/
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: Rich Mersereau, treecitytornado
2/20/20, 3:20 AM   #4
robert gatten

When a car , or several cars get a run on the leader he moves up, they go low he moves down and gets turned. Without those mirrors that would no happen.

2/20/20, 8:34 AM   #5
chop

Before this post gets slammed with it has nothing to do with open wheel sprint cars post. Lets remember where our open wheel stars go to race, nascar. Also remember that many of the sprint car teams are funded, have ties to nascar drivers. So the health, welling being of sprint car racing, nascar has to do well. If indy car drivers had sprint car teams, we would need to think about them also.

Ok lets fix some of this stuff that's wrong. So the trucks have some type of body design, rules that makes the trucks unable to push each other around the track. Do to some type of air bubble. In the infinity cars they have rules that you can not push each other. Lets do the same with cup cars. Also do away with the leader of the race being able to change lanes 3 times in a row.

Radios, mirrors and spotters. Lets get rid of them. Go back to old school pit boards and chalk messages. This part is a joke, but how I feel. Make rookies race with a bench seat, just a lap seat belt, open face helmet. They have to race that way till they win a race. Also each team only has one race car for the year. Bring back racing on the beach. nascar has it roots in dirt racing.

Only one 100 lap segment of the race. Lets do away with this trend of the different car companies cars lined up in the back just driving around. If I went to a football game and each team just took a knee for three plays and just punted the ball back and forth till the last 5 minute's of the 4th quarter. If the football teams said they did it because they did not want the players to get hurt (be involved in the big one) that tells me that the football game should just be 5 minutes long.

Something that was brought up at my house on Monday night. With legalize sports betting. Would race team, manufacture's orders be the same thing as game fixing, points shaving?

When I raced imca mods years ago with the engine clam rule. At one track on the white flag the leaders would drop back to 4th place so not to be claimed. The track changed a few rules. No white flag and they did not say how many laps the race was going to be on that night. just some where between 20 to 25 laps. What about that in nascar? The France family writes a lap number on a chalk board, covers it up. when they get to that number. They give them the checkered flag. Other one we thought up was a "devil takes the rear" rule. That would be on each lap the last place car has to drop out of the race.

2/20/20, 9:43 AM   #6
cl124

I think there are many things that could be made better but the most immediate big fix for Nascar would be to get rid of the spotters/driver to driver communication. This would help prevent the blocking issue and definitely fix the 'team' issue as drivers would have no way of knowing where their teammates are or what they are doing. To me the team issue is the biggest issue in Nascar right now. Makes it very tough for a guy like Christopher Bell to succeed when it comes down to the wire. Also think it would be awesome if they went to more of a Heat race/LCQ/Amain style format to where every spot counts for more throughout the day or night and one race doesn't last 3 hours in itself.

1 member likes this post: Blackduce
2/20/20, 1:21 PM   #7
Tumey's 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoors View Post
Its not the Blocking that causes accidents -- It the Restrictor Plates , Bump Drafting and PUSHING that causes them Not the Blocking NASCAR should leave the Power alone and let that enging have all the HP it wants so a car can pass without being pushed from behind. Now you say well the will do 250mph, No they wont Rule the Aero package out to a point and change the tires Rule.
I reality it is all of the above that causes the big wrecks. Blocking is a huge issue. Drivers dive in front of cars approaching at a higher rate of speed and often misjudge the closure rate. This combined with pushing from the line of cars behind them render braking ineffective. If NASCAR indeed cares about safety they should address plate racing before there is another fatality.

2/20/20, 1:50 PM   #8
chathamracefan

They need a package that allows a lead pack of a handful of cars to actually pull away because they have the superior setup for that day. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing this requires a combo of more HP & a lot less downforce such that one has to lift off the throttle at least a little bit in the corners. The more off throttle time, the more the packs should break up after a few laps.

Of course there can & will still be crashes, but this would give the drivers reaction time to avoid other cars. Just making rules to prevent blocking & bump drafting while still running a package that virtually forces those 2 things to actually win the race will just lead to a scenario where the officials are constantly issuing penalties & each race will have a bunch of controversial calls.

In the present system, it is a viable strategy to intentionally ride around at the back for a large part of the race in order to avoid the carnage. Also, as Mike Joy said with a few laps to go, the leader "doesn't want to get too far ahead here". It was an accurate statement. These 2 things being true make it so glaringly obvious that the package they race under is fouled up. They are against the whole point of racing in the first place.

3 members like this post: nodoors, tj39, Tony74
2/20/20, 7:57 PM   #9
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

Seems to be a lot of NASCAR experts on this board all of a sudden. Thought you guys didn’t watch NASCAR.

2/21/20, 1:10 AM   #10
hoscalecody

Being honest taking the restrictor plate out will probably not fix it, very likely make the problem worse. I've been playing iRacing for quite a few years, racing mainly pavement Nascar. (May not do everything super realistic, but enough Nascar drivers said it's quite realistic.) They released the Gen 6/Current Nascar and made the Gen 5/CoT have no restrictor plate, so it can now go 250ish. That didn't stop pack racing it just made the pack racing have more violent wrecks, because you're going 50 miles an hour faster, still in a pack. You couldn't pull away from the pack, just like you can't now.

Also if you take the plate out only a few teams are really going have a chance of winning because your car can now go 45-50+ Mph faster and a lot of the teams probably don't have the money or R&D to make an engine that fast. At least now almost any team really has a chance to win at the super speedways, due to draft and pack racing. I could almost guarantee if they took the plate out Larson probably would never win a superspeedway unless he goes to Hendrick, SHR or Gibbs.
Another thing is they're still doing around 200mph at the 1.5 mile tracks, it's not just the Superspeedways.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Blocking