IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Junior Johnson
12/20/19, 7:37 PM   #1
Junior Johnson
Jerry Shaw

A true American legend passed away, today. Nobody was more of a personification of the illegal moonshine business giving birth to stock car racing in our country. And then he followed that up by being a Hall of Fame driver and team owner.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

12/20/19, 8:10 PM   #2
Re: Junior Johnson
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
A true American legend passed away, today. Nobody was more of a personification of the illegal moonshine business giving birth to stock car racing in our country. And then he followed that up by being a Hall of Fame driver and team owner.

Jerry
Part of the reason I loved NASCAR where because of guys like Junior, Dale Sr, and other like them. Blue collar guys who did their work and did it the right way. Junior was a throw back to the good old days and an innovator of many of the rules in the NASCAR rule book. He and Smokey Unick pretty much created the NASCAR rule book. So much respect for a man who help grow the sport of auto racing in many different aspects. From a moonshiner to a NASCAR hero, NASCAR Hall Of Famer, and all around damn good human being. The world could use more folks like Junior. You just don't find folks like Junior anymore.

12/20/19, 8:16 PM   #3
PIT CART

Rest In Peace Junior 🏁

2 members like this post: jim goerge, LUCKYONE
12/20/19, 9:27 PM   #4
Midget 89

A true icon. Few have done more for the sport than Junior.

2 members like this post: LUCKYONE, RockinRy
12/21/19, 12:25 AM   #5
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I always rooted for Junior, particularly in the Mystery Engine Chevy in 1963 when it was said Ford Motor Company spent a million dollars trying to catch one Chevy. The Last American Hero is gone from our midst forever.
Rest In Peace, Junior Johnson!

12/21/19, 6:54 PM   #6
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

i was reading the paper one morning in Daytona and saw he was going to be signing autographs at a liquor store. holy smokes that's across the street from my room ! ! ! Great to meet a Legend of our sport. RIP Junior, Heaven got another one.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
12/21/19, 10:52 PM   #7
ISF

I sat and chatted with Mr. Johnson in the gate area of Daytona International Airport just before Christmas in December of 1988. He was setting all by himself waiting for his flight up to Charlotte, NC. There couldn't have been more than a half dozen people in the gate area and none of them were the least familiar with the greatness they were in the presence of. I was agape and in awe of Mr. Johnson but he engaged me as if he'd known me for a decade for a half hour or more. Terry Labonte, who was one of my all time favorite drivers, drove for Mr. Johnson at that time which added to the exhilaration of the moment, if that was possible.

Mr. Johnson, you were one of the best that ever wheeled or owned a NASCAR stock car. You lived a life that very few human beings can, or ever will, match and you always carried yourself with class, dignity, humility and pride. Rest in eternal peace, sir. The world would do well to have many more just like you!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Junior Johnson