IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Competitors Meeting
12/18/19, 5:41 PM   #11
Re: USAC Competitors Meeting
molikotigo

But look at the last 2 championships they have both come down to the last race. Everyone is racing for the heat positions anyway because they award points and as we have seen every point matters
Last edited by molikotigo; 12/18/19 at 5:42 PM.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, i love dirt track racing, tirespinner
12/18/19, 6:15 PM   #12
cl124

Quote:
Originally Posted by molikotigo View Post
But look at the last 2 championships they have both come down to the last race. Everyone is racing for the heat positions anyway because they award points and as we have seen every point matters
No complaints on the heat racing action. Just the fact that 2 laps likely decide your whole night. Or when a track changes throughout qualifying and you're on the wrong end of the change no matter what you do the rest of the night you cant make up for you qualifying times.

1 member likes this post: robert gatten
12/18/19, 7:27 PM   #13
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl124 View Post
No complaints on the heat racing action. Just the fact that 2 laps likely decide your whole night. Or when a track changes throughout qualifying and you're on the wrong end of the change no matter what you do the rest of the night you cant make up for you qualifying times.
Isnt that why they went to qualifying flights when they had alot(over 32 I think but not sure the exact number) of cars?

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

2 members like this post: robert gatten, tirespinner
12/18/19, 8:21 PM   #14
on_the_edge

Quote:
While this format may make the heat races slightly more interesting it gives anyone who has a bad qualifying outing a huge disadvantage. I agree the guys who qualify quick shouldn't be punished so invert the top 4 instead then race straight up from that point on. Or go to a passing points style system. In my opinion every co-sanctioned USAC race ive been to that runs by the other series rules 9 times out of 10 turns out to be a better race all in.
These are USAC national series races, you have to be on your game when you drop that trailer door. You get 2 laps, if you messed up the first one you better have learned from your mistake and make up for it on lap 2.

12/18/19, 9:57 PM   #15
sp6967

Leave well enough.the format has changed way too much already.

12/19/19, 11:01 PM   #16
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Isnt that why they went to qualifying flights when they had alot(over 32 I think but not sure the exact number) of cars?
Yes, but I believe the flights start with the 37th car then they are divided accordingly.
That was the format for the ISW shows but also think this is now a precedent for car counts above 36.

"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
12/20/19, 11:52 AM   #17
cl124

Also with the flights as I understand it, which I could certainly be wrong, the flights determine lineups for their respective heats however feature lineup goes back to overall times amongst the whole field meaning it really changes nothing for the feature.

12/20/19, 4:38 PM   #18
Indy1808

Quote:
Also with the flights as I understand it, which I could certainly be wrong, the flights determine lineups for their respective heats however feature lineup goes back to overall times amongst the whole field meaning it really changes nothing for the feature.
yes, That is correct, as I have it scored.

12/21/19, 5:03 PM   #19
captrat

Quote:
While this format may make the heat races slightly more interesting it gives anyone who has a bad qualifying outing a huge disadvantage. I agree the guys who qualify quick shouldn't be punished so invert the top 4 instead then race straight up from that point on. Or go to a passing points style system. In my opinion every co-sanctioned USAC race ive been to that runs by the other series rules 9 times out of 10 turns out to be a better race all in.
Perhaps I misunderstand your post. The heats have the first 6 positions inverted,the fastest qualifier starting 6th. In the feature the fastest 6 from heats who make it by finishing in top 4 are also inverted. Only the B do they start straight up.

12/21/19, 7:21 PM   #20
Indy1808

Here are my records from ISW#3 at Kokomo with 40 cars entered. There is an A & B flight. This only applies to the heat line ups afterwards all entries are folded back together as one and are lined up in the Semi & Feature according to Qualifying shown in my next post.
Last edited by Indy1808; 10/20/21 at 5:03 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Competitors Meeting