Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Faccinto
1/16/20, 7:55 AM   #11
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Was during his post race interview.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/16/20, 9:09 AM   #12
motorhead748

I wonder what the connection is between the driver &car owner & sponsor? Did he pay for the ride? Is the sponsor the owner?
In today’s world it was a very stupid thing to say.

1/16/20, 9:18 AM   #13
Re: Faccinto
ossuks

Excuses....I used to think that drivers that could control a car at speed should be able to control their emotions, but that was before Dr. Claire Lewicki set Cole straight "Control is an illusion, nobody knows what is going to happen next, not on a freeway, not in a plane, not inside our own bodies, and certainly not on a race track with 40 other infantile egomaniacs."

1/16/20, 11:04 AM   #14
racer-x

Would it have been the same punishment if he would have used the word “cracker”?

1/16/20, 11:17 AM   #15
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 16
Race Count Last Year: 85

Never quite heard that word used in that manner before. Big mistake, big consequence. Wondered what the apology on Twitter was all about. Now I know. Really have to choose your words wisely when you have an open mike in front of you.

Bruce Eckel

1/16/20, 12:29 PM   #16
DAD

The only word we need to do away with is po·lit·i·cal·ly cor·rect
/pəˌlidək(ə)lē kəˈrekt/ I was raised with the saying that "Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones BUT Words Will Never Hurt Me" That is still true today. Check out the
Urban Dictionary. That word used in the way that it was used does not pertain to a Persons Race but to a Persons Actions. We need to Stand Up for First Amendment it is a beautiful Thing and what makes us Americans. He was within his right to use it and his Sponsor was also within his right to pull his Funding.

1/16/20, 12:34 PM   #17
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
Would it have been the same punishment if he would have used the word “cracker”?
Yep I get called "CRACKER" ever so often, and it is a persons right to call me that because they are usually "MAD" about something and it best for me to just tuff it up

3 members like this post: Indy1808, PIT CART, tirespinner
1/16/20, 12:54 PM   #18
captrat

How about adding some so-called politically correct words like respect, self-control, historical knowledge, etc. Freedom of speech is sacred but then one cannot "scream fire in a dark movie theater".

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
1/16/20, 1:14 PM   #19
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
How about adding some so-called politically correct words like respect, self-control, historical knowledge, etc. Freedom of speech is sacred but then one cannot "scream fire in a dark movie theater".
Back in the early 60's when I was in the Seventh Grade "Politically Correct" did not exist. I did have a Seventh Grade Civics Teacher (that's the teacher that taught us how or Democracy was supposed to work) Gave us a definition of the First Amendment that has stuck with me. He taught us that "Our First Amendment Rights STOPPED two inches short of the distance between the other guys fist and our nose"

4 members like this post: nowingsjeff, Pat O'Connor Fan, racer-x, tirespinner
1/16/20, 1:35 PM   #20
Jerry Shaw

Aside from it being a dumb thing to say and a wrong thing to say, the thing that makes it even more perplexing is the situation in which he said it. He was being interviewed because he had just finished 3rd in an A-Main for a preliminary night at the Chili Bowl. Meaning, Saturday night, he was going to find himself in the front row of a B-Main. An ideal situation and an enviable one for the vast majority of the 360+ car field. Including quite a few who are among the top drivers in the sport. So, he truly pissed away a golden opportunity. The best thing that could have happened to Faccinto would have been getting passed by the hard-charging Dillon Welch, who had raced from 16th to 4th.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 1/16/20 at 1:43 PM.

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, kcarm92, Ken Bonnema, Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Faccinto