IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smaller Wings
9/4/19, 12:21 AM   #11
KingRandomUser

I agree with a previous poster in look at tires. Finding a size combination that works not just in terms of circumference but even how wide the rears are.

Think of it like comparing the tires of Super Stocks to Late Models. Big difference for essentially the same car. Don't matter how much motor you got if that small tire can't hook it all up. JMO

3 members like this post: DAD, oppweld, TNRustler
9/4/19, 5:38 PM   #12
Re: Smaller Wings
racer5c

Be easier just to take them off

3 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97, oppweld
9/4/19, 9:29 PM   #13
JarrettFarms73

brsteg,

i’m one of those “one or two wing races now and again” non wing fans. If it helps make the cars racier on more tracks, it’s worth a shot.

The trouble though IMHO is that the improvement will need to be significant and sustained to overcome the deeply established reputation of limited passing that seems to follow wing racing (pun intended) before most non wing fans will notice or care. myself included if being honest.

9/5/19, 11:38 AM   #14
HDbill

Based on the current use of wings on Sprint cars and NEMA midgets; I doubt that any have ever been in a wind tunnel or have any religion to a known profile performance of the airfoil. Most are, at best, a guess or doing what "feels better than the other way". Prove me wrong, but I believe that Bobby Cicconi won Rookie of the year driving a blacktop car with a cast iron Chevy II that was probably down about 50HP compared to the Sesco Edmunds that he passed on the way...With a real air foil on stilts out over the engine back in the '70's. That was when EVERYBODY was running them over the cage or even further back. Playing with the size of wings is just spending more time and money chasing a ghost. So run them or leave them home....or maybe just run side boards with nothing in the middle to slow you down!

9/6/19, 7:53 AM   #15
motorhead748

If you are wanting to change the size of the wings to possibly attract more NW fans it's not gonna happen. And those that prefer wings think they are fine. Having said that I don't know if the flat wing mandate did more harm than good. The flat wings get stood up more possibly causing more turbulence for the car following.
And at the risk of causing a **** storm here is an observation.
Generally speaking at wing races either local or touring series both driver and owner/crew have many years/decades of experience. I'm not even sure money can overcome experience. With that experience comes track & car set up savvy that makes the car fast and if they're all fast it's hard to pass. Someone commented about the smackdown finale saying the Boss race was better than the usac race because the winner came from 14th vs the front row for usac. It's the same situation. All of the usac cars/drivers are good with plenty of experience making it hard to pass them. And the Boss winner had ran there all week giving him experience to get dialed in.

1 member likes this post: RACrappieman
9/6/19, 12:30 PM   #16
DAD

I.T.S.B.S. It's the Side Boards Stupid

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/6/19, 12:38 PM   #17
DAD

With Out Side Board>>>>>Which front tire is off the ground???
Last edited by DAD; 9/6/19 at 1:37 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/6/19, 2:08 PM   #18
treecitytornado

The Wings have been 25 square feet for years. We took away dished Wings, so there is less down force. As someone who has driven & watched Winged & Non-Wing racing for many years, just leave them, alone!
I've seen many great Winged & Non-Wing races over the years & seen terrible races & drove in them, too!
It all boils down to Track Conditions!! As far as Dirt Sprint Cars!! Pavement, I've seen great Winged Racing at Toledo, Winchester, Anderson, & the list goes on! I've seen plenty of great Non-Wing pavement racing all over, too!
Last edited by treecitytornado; 9/6/19 at 2:09 PM.

3 members like this post: dkdorkboy, motorhead748, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smaller Wings