IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thursday June 6 - Lincoln Park Speedway & USAC Midget Week
6/7/19, 1:15 AM   #21
Re: Thursday June 6 - Lincoln Park Speedway & USAC Midget We
Jerry Shaw

You know you've seen a great race, that when it's over you feel like you've been on the biggest, baddest roller coaster ride imaginable. But the difference is on roller coasters you only get to take one lap and then it's over. We took another lap on this one, after every restart. You also know you've seen a great race when you're at one with the talent level that we had tonight and the winner fought his way from 15th place and ended up not only the winner, but also the Hard Charger. It's even more amazing when you consider that this same victor just three months ago was in a fiery highway crash, where he suffered a broken arm, a broken foot, a cracked sternum, broken ribs, and a punctured lung. It couldn't feel good to be strapped into tightly and to be thrashed around violently by a midget car for 30 laps. And to be involved in the knock down, drag out rumble we saw tonight. I'd say the broken right foot appears to have healed, though. And is exciting as this one was, God only knows what we might have seen had Kyle Larson not flipped on the white flag lap. Because watching him playing with fire, lap after lap, the way he was attacking the cushion was a thing to behold. And the way he charged into the ledge in turn 2, when he pushed the boundries just a little too far, said he wasn't going to settle for second place tonight. Fantastic job by these great racers. Also to Joe and his crew for giving them a track that they could go out there and create a masterpiece on.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/7/19 at 2:05 AM.

6/7/19, 2:11 AM   #22
gtownplowboy

That was the best race I have ever seen at Lincoln Park in thirty years.didn't think the race would not be good looking at the track,lots of rubber down.As much as I love the sprint cars, the midgets just continue to put down some of the best races every year.WOW

8 members like this post: Adolph, bmemmer, davidm, Heromaker, jwl, LUCKYONE, oppweld, TQ29m
6/7/19, 2:52 AM   #23
HoosierMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
You know you've seen a great race, that when it's over you feel like you've been on the biggest, baddest roller coaster ride imaginable. But the difference is on roller coasters you only get to take one lap and then it's over. We took another lap on this one, after every restart. You also know you've seen a great race when you're at one with the talent level that we had tonight and the winner fought his way from 15th place and ended up not only the winner, but also the Hard Charger. It's even more amazing when you consider that this same victor just three months ago was in a fiery highway crash, where he suffered a broken arm, a broken foot, a cracked sternum, broken ribs, and a punctured lung. It couldn't feel good to be strapped into tightly and to be thrashed around violently by a midget car for 30 laps. And to be involved in the knock down, drag out rumble we saw tonight. I'd say the broken right foot appears to have healed, though. And is exciting as this one was, God only knows what we might have seen had Kyle Larson not flipped on the white flag lap. Because watching him playing with fire, lap after lap, the way he was attacking the cushion was a thing to behold. And the way he charged into the ledge in turn 2, when he pushed the boundries just a little too far, said he wasn't going to settle for second place tonight. Fantastic job by these great racers. Also to Joe and his crew for giving them a track that they could go out there and create a masterpiece on.

Jerry
Jerry I sit next to a gentleman named Randy Shaw at Lincoln Park. Any relation?

6/7/19, 2:56 AM   #24
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierMikey View Post
Jerry I sit next to a gentleman named Randy Shaw at Lincoln Park. Any relation?
Yes. That's my cousin. Him and his father were both sprint car drivers.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: HoosierMikey
6/7/19, 3:20 AM   #25
Jerry Shaw

Here's another twist or shocking development in this great race that deserves to be mentioned. The whole race, you had all these young speed demons flyin' around the track, racing each other hard. And while they were captivating the audience, here's Jerry Coons Jr., also battling within the top 5 the whole way, but working away on the bottom, almost completely under the radar. Then, as they come down to the checkered, here comes Coons through the crowd and just steals 3rd place away from Kevin Thomas, Jr with the stealth and the skill of a professional pickpocket. KT had led more laps than anyone, but just that quick, his place on the podium was gone. It had been a Jr on Jr crime.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/7/19 at 1:31 PM.

6/7/19, 8:40 AM   #26
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Jerry thanks for the cool write up on the action from last night! I always enjoy these!

4 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Jerry Shaw, oppweld, racenut69
6/7/19, 11:03 AM   #27
racenut69

Larson needs to give up the NASCRAP gig and come back to real racing!.....

6/7/19, 1:17 PM   #28
HoosierMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
Yes. That's my cousin. Him and his father were both sprint car drivers.

Jerry
Very nice gentleman. He told me that him and his father raced. Said he broke his neck 31 years ago and showed us photo of the car that has sit in the trailer for 31 years.

1 member likes this post: Jerry Shaw
6/7/19, 1:44 PM   #29
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut69 View Post
Larson needs to give up the NASCRAP gig and come back to real racing!.....
I'm thinking his accountant might not agree with that statement. But, how cool is it to go to a race track and see a guy who just won a million dollar race, racing a three thousand dollar to win race like he needed to win it to get his electricity turned back on? All those who say they don't make em' like they used to, just aren't paying attention.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

8 members like this post: Bobv, BrentTFunk, dhyde, dirt330, luckybuc97, Milly, PJ Wright, rclaridge
6/7/19, 3:36 PM   #30
cleatziff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Go, have fun Had no idea you were having troubles but will keep you in my prayers. Had a heart issue myself and still not feeling right.
Chuck.
Sorry to hear about your heart issues. I only made it through the heat races. Started feeling pretty crummy so I had to leave. I loved the heat races though! Can’t wait to get better so I can enjoy a full show!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thursday June 6 - Lincoln Park Speedway & USAC Midget Week