IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Announcers so far
2/14/24, 2:57 PM   #1
Announcers so far
flagboy55

We’ve touched on it in other threads but I thought I would present the opportunity for everyone to share their thoughts on the specific topic. I for one have no complaints this year. I like USAC’s choice so far with Mr Hulbert, and Drake pit side. I didn’t know what really to expect from Chase Raudman at High Limit, but I think he’s doing fine so far. Good to see Tony back with the mic in the pits. The position that Chase vacated is competently filled by the Outlaws with I believe his name is Connor that worked with the midgets last year. So far, it’s all good with me and the on air talent

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, LUCKYONE, mlamb, racinrich, tirespinner
2/14/24, 4:02 PM   #2
mlamb

I really enjoyed both broadcasts and all the announcers calling them. These announcers are critiqued unbelievable on racing forums generally. They are human, they’ll make a few mistakes along the way maybe annoy a couple of people from time to time. I’m just fine with that. Thought they all did great.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, jdull99, LUCKYONE, PIT CART, tirespinner
2/14/24, 5:29 PM   #3
Re: Announcers so far

Chase is not bad, but just the wrong voice. I think he would be the perfect #2. He seems very knowledgeable and does not appear to make things up. The excitement in his voice almost feels forced. Might be the wrong way to describe it. So I'll give everyone a reason to bring out the pitchforks. Lets compare chase to Blake. You always knew when something was going on because Blake naturally got excited (yes I will agree with many of you he got excited a little to much). I'm old school. We show up for practice and qualifying. When I am watching on TV, I do the same. Just listen to all of these announcers read off sponsors for each car. I can listen to Johnny Gipson, James Essex, or Blake Anderson any day. They have a flow. Its upbeat. I think all of these guys do a much better job with a totally different style of announcer in the booth with them. When it comes to announcers look up the Dave Despain interview with Chris Economaci. Every series needs someone that can deliver the ballyhoo!

2/14/24, 6:25 PM   #4
B99

I'm amazed by the amount of @$$ kissing of certain announcers done by keyboard cowboys, while other guys, many of whom are well qualified, do their homework and aren't over the top screamers, get completely ignored.

I'm so glad flagboy approves of the streaming announcers, who by the way, are putting track guys out of business.

1 member likes this post: Hubie48
2/14/24, 8:41 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Not really a fan of the drivers playlist for song choices. But the announcing and pit reporting have been fine all around.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Hubie48, mlamb, PIT CART
2/15/24, 12:06 AM   #6
openwheelfan1

Based on the two nights at Volusia, I thought Bryan (Brian? Not sure which it is) Hulbert for USAC did a fine job. Smooth, informative, knowledgeable, and seems to know when to comment and when not too. Good job by Drake as well.

2/15/24, 9:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
I'm amazed by the amount of @$$ kissing of certain announcers done by keyboard cowboys, while other guys, many of whom are well qualified, do their homework and aren't over the top screamers, get completely ignored.

I'm so glad flagboy approves of the streaming announcers, who by the way, are putting track guys out of business.
Flag boy thats funny. Like it or not the money side of this is in the entertainment. There are several great "Track Guys" out there. Go listen to Torry Stiles at the Indianapolis Speedrome. That guy makes Gokarts interesting.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/15/24, 10:27 AM   #8
Hubie48

Just exactly do you expect from a driver who won a heat race?

I feel like the questions are a bit much. Obviously the crew is working hard and they will have to sharpen their collective pencils to keep up with changing track conditions. Other than that, thank the folks paying the bills and your done. Sponsors want recognition for the money, I get it. Now remember the driver just got thru something extremely strenuous, and is now asked something like "coming off the second turn on lap 4 you hit a bump and the car shot up the track" is a bit of a reach for the driver. He is going to concentrate until he see's a flag and that is about it

so give it a rest Drake

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/15/24, 10:52 AM   #9
nodramazone20

BH is definitely a departure from Chet.....He has a ton of experience and will do fine if he or Usac decides to go further in 24.

Chase is new at the announcing gig for HL and you can tell....some of it does sound forced, but he will settle in to the job.....I see no problem with either guy going forward.

5 members like this post: Dirtfan, flagboy55, Hubie48, mlamb, tirespinner
2/15/24, 12:11 PM   #10
azsprintfan1

I just wonder who will be the full time USAC announcer? I suspect Bryan Hulbert will not leave ASCS but who knows? Drake does a good job in the pits and with interviews after races and in the pits pre race. He is still very young and will learn through the years.
On the High Limit side Chase is doing better than I thought and I think he will only learn and improve. It's definitely a job I could not do and I appreciate them all and Flo and DirtVision for bringing me racing that I cannot attend in person.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, mlamb, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Announcers so far