IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > First time at Kokomo
4/5/21, 7:36 PM   #11
Truphy

Thanks so much for all the responses! My
Home track is putnamville. But my wife has never seen a world of outlaw show and I think winged fan or not all race fans should experience that show.

4/5/21, 8:25 PM   #12
Blackduce

For me, we are so lucky to have the O'Conners as great track owners who have turned this track into a show piece. Done with so much hard work.
I don't remember a track that has flowers planted around the grandstand. And remember they do not live in this state. These are real racing folks.
We are so lucky.

Lynn

4/6/21, 10:44 AM   #13
flagboy55

Truphy Putnamville is a great home track, but being that (relatively) close to Kokomo, what took you so long? I agree with you that the WOO is probably as good as it gets at Kokomo and Haubstadt too for that matter. The October race there was great as about every possible element lined up properly, weather, competition from other tracks, everything was perfect. The Allstars are off this weekend so I would expect many of their top teams to be there as they themselves run Kokomo in May for a tidy 26k. While the speedway is strict on their carry in policy, to the point of joking about it, the staff is always friendly and welcoming. Hope you enjoy your trip there. And like Oppweld says, you probably want to plan on coming back for the USAC Midgets

4/6/21, 12:27 PM   #14
Re: First time at Kokomo
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat15 View Post
Awesome racetrack, have some food and beverage before you go in. I heard that they make you spit your chewing gum out before you enter the track.lol. Any show there is bound to be a good one.
I walked in several times with a water bottle in my back pocket, until I got caught.... WATER!?
Last edited by revjimk; 4/8/21 at 1:46 PM.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
4/6/21, 10:49 PM   #15
MilfordSprintFan

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 4

I'm a potential newbie to Kokomo this year too. Would you say parking is tough all the time or just special nights? I'm looking at the Darland Memorial race to go to. Thanks!

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
4/7/21, 12:45 AM   #16
flagboy55

I would say most shows that aren’t nationally sanctioned events, parking is not an issue.

2 members like this post: MilfordSprintFan, tirespinner
4/7/21, 6:39 AM   #17
Stevensville Mike

For a WoO show, especially with the newer bigger backstretch grandstand, parking is a HUGE issue.

Worth the pain, though.

No outside food or beverages allowed. Fast moving concession stand under the main grandstand.

3 members like this post: cmakin, fish, tirespinner
4/7/21, 2:02 PM   #18
fourteen fan

Is this an SLS show?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/8/21, 8:20 AM   #19
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Choo Choo McGoo's on Markland Ave has great food and they are great people and racing sponsors!

4/8/21, 1:49 PM   #20
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
For a WoO show, especially with the newer bigger backstretch grandstand, parking is a HUGE issue.

Worth the pain, though.

No outside food or beverages allowed. Fast moving concession stand under the main grandstand.
I've never seen WoO at Kokomo, but have been to Smackdown & a Speedweek race. Seemed like there was plenty of open space if you're willing to walk a bit

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > First time at Kokomo