IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair?
10/12/11, 8:36 PM   #21
reeserx

Simple solution..don't go?
Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: #1Brad Kuhn Fan, K9Racer, Speedracer, supdh56
10/12/11, 8:50 PM   #22
Re: Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtvwrocks View Post
Since it was earlier stated that this race is promoted by someone other than Kokomo staff its not fair to voice complaints under the veil of "kokomo isn't fair". This would be the promoters option to charge any sort of fee. If you're going to disagree with this decision then you need to direct it at the person/company behind it.

Just pointing that out, this would be a promoters choice, not the tracks.

Sacha
Sacha I dont think you understood(or I dont) the promoters of Kokomo dont live in Kokomo, they live in Illinois. But as far as I know the same people promote the Klash as the rest of the season there.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

10/12/11, 8:53 PM   #23
wtvwrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Sacha I dont think you understood(or I dont) the promoters of Kokomo dont live in Kokomo, they live in Illinois. But as far as I know the same people promote the Klash as the rest of the season there.
Oh - you're right then, I didn't understand. I thought it was someone other than the regular track promoters.

Sacha

10/12/11, 9:21 PM   #24
triplexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeserx View Post
Simple solution..don't go?
Posted via Mobile Device
AMEN enough said! Anyway come enjoy a great race on Friday night I am sure it will be a good one I know I will be there.

10/12/11, 10:18 PM   #25
Micro 11

To all the guys *****ing about the entry fee, come on. Its $30 or $25 or $20 bucks. If you own a racecar and thats to much, then you are in the wrong sport. We are racing 600 minisprints and paying the $20 dollar entry fee and racing for $511 to win and $50 to start and I am fine with it. We are here to have fun and i am not going to let $20 stop that. The race I saw last year was worth the $30 pit pass and the $20 entry fee. And yes I am the car owner and paying all the bills. Racing is always going to be very expensive and we are about as low budget team as you can get. I can't wait for Friday, lets go and have some fun at the best track around!

1 member likes this post: burris7555
10/12/11, 10:34 PM   #26
bloard

There is no doubt this race is set up to be a house game provided the weather cooperates, but the fans, owners and drivers have proved willing to support this event at this particular track at this time of the year. With that history, there really isn't any basis to gripe about it now.

That is why the time to make a stand on issues such as this is before tradition sets in. I was on this board trying to take a stand against the entry fee at Farmer City a month or so ago and kept our two cars away from that event to take a stand... but I think we were standing alone.

But to answer the original question - is the entry fee necessary? Probably not.

The weekly sprint payout at Kokomo is $7405. Admission is $12 with pit passes $25 and no entry fee. This year's payout for the Klash is about $8100 or about $700 over the weekly payout. Admission is $20 with pit passes $30 and an entry fee.

The website thanks All Star Performance for bumping it's purse from last year for the Klash, which I assume means the vast majority of the increase over last year is due to the generosity of the sponsor. (Seriously, thanks All Star for stepping up to support the event and participants)

So what did last year's Klash payout look like? Let's go to the Wayback Machine and see: http://web.archive.org/web/201010171...net/klash.html Last year's Klash sprint payout totaled $7660. $500 less than this years purse (thanks to a sponsor) and only $245 over the weekly payout.

So assuming a sponsor picked up $500 of this years purse bump, with the $8 grandstand ticket increase it takes all of 31 people's extra admission to cover the extra cost of the sprint purse over the weekly purse.

My quick math on the Modified payout shows that this year's Klash payout is about $1300 higher than the weekly payout (almost a 50% bump over the weekly payout). So the Modifieds are getting a much bigger bump both in real dollars and as a percentage than the Sprints.

But what is even more interesting is that finishing positions 4-9 actually pay more during the weekly show than they do at the Klash. Finish 4th there weekly and you get $625. Finish 4th at the Klash and take home $500.

This really is not meant to be a huge gripe about the event. It's a great event at a time of the year no one else is racing. Yes, it's set up to be a house game if the weather cooperates. You know that when you go. The time for fighting it has long passed no different than the $8 beer at the ball game or $5 bucket of popcorn at the movie. Promoting races at this time of year are a crap shoot with the weather at best, so it takes some built in cushion to justify taking the chance.

Frankly, Kokomo is one track that probably deserves to have a house game once in awhile and for people to support them when they do. They have earned it.
Last edited by bloard; 10/12/11 at 11:27 PM.

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
10/12/11, 10:45 PM   #27
wideopen24

I can go down the list of people posting on this topic and about 80% of you are the paying $12-15 to get in after driving there in you Honda Civic that gets 30+mpg...For you fans you may have $100 in Gas, Food, Tickets, and maybe some Drinks... I bet you would be PISSED if you got only to find out they charged $30 to park you car....

5 members like this post: dant, i love dirt track racing, Russ, sprinter14, younggun398
10/12/11, 11:00 PM   #28
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

I saw the post,didn't read alick of of it.I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE NO MATH.SHUT UP AND RACE OR DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/12/11, 11:07 PM   #29
DonMoore10

The Kokomo Klash has been on my schedule for several months now. Before we have a bunch more people ready to tell the racers to stay home if they don't like it, I can well afford the entry fee for this race. My point in my first post on this thread apparently went way over the heads of most of you on here. Frankly I don't have time to rummage through every track's web site for the particulars of a $1200 to win race. I was on the road last week for 5 days in St. Louis, arrived back home Sunday night, addressed several business issues on Monday that were put on hold because I was away and spent the last two days preparing a race car for the Kokomo race.

A flyer was being handed out by USAC for the Kokomo race in the pit area at the Gold Crown event. I have it in front of me as I type. Nothing about an entry fee or a late fee. The flyer has a web site mentioned.. www.usacracing.com. Nothing about a Kokomo web site. "Jill" posted on IOW today the particulars of the race. Nothing about an entry fee or a late fee. I'm glad that some of you have all the time in the world to visit track web sites. Congratulations. I don't and since this is a race under the USAC D1 Midget deal, I would expect it to be conducted like other D1 events that I have participated in this summer. Yes, I paid an expected entry fee for those on the day of the race. I assumed that since it's a USAC event that the Kokomo race would be conducted in the same manner. Clicking through several pages on a web site to find out about an entry fee and late fee is not my idea of being upfront and specific of what to expect at this race. Plain and simple... If there's a late entry fee or deadline, be upfront with it. BTW, I have never heard of a late fee tacked on top of an entry fee for a run of the mill $1200 to win race.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 10/12/11 at 11:15 PM.

3 members like this post: dant, rmcar, Russ
10/12/11, 11:19 PM   #30
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Some times even a music teacher can't follow the beat

3 members like this post: fish, koolaid89, opnwhlmnd
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair?