IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's with the panels?
2/28/10, 1:17 PM   #41
Re: What's with the panels?
DonMoore10

I could go for the 1075 or how about 1100?

If an owner has a a driver that weighs 110#, he's gonna have to add 40 lbs somewhere on the car, though. There are a lot of lightweight drivers out there and they will have to come up with some weight on the car.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 2/28/10 at 1:20 PM.

2/28/10, 8:30 PM   #42
LEADERS EDGE

I should have said Rev Monitoring. That would have been more accurate.

The fans have spoken, those series are tremendously more popular along with the throngs that show up in other areas to watch the Winged Cars.

Horse racing has changed tremendously. From the training regimine to the color of the jockeys to the shoes the horses use to the breeding to the different performance enhancing drugs they use.

You ought to go Duke. You may find that you may even like some of the drivers and cars.

Ford is building basically the same cars they have been. They do claim the newer cars get much better fuel milage, so we will see. They were just smart enough to leverage themselves to give themselves cash when the others were running out. They made a great move in securing cash when the others were bleeding and now it is paying off.

2/28/10, 9:40 PM   #43
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
the point was driver protection and in f1 the head's were more exposed than in sprintcars. My point is that f1 is taking it more seriously than ever and as the sail panels have the potential to keep foreign objects away from the helmet the point is the same.
who gives a dam about f-1

2/28/10, 9:41 PM   #44
outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
The point was driver protection and in F1 the head's were more exposed than in sprintcars. My point is that F1 is taking it more seriously than ever and as the sail panels have the potential to keep foreign objects away from the helmet the point is the same.
Yeah F1 has also taken away in race fueling. That eliminates pit road fires but enhances in race component failure as there will now be a huge increase in car weight and that transfers to more demand on brakes hydraulics and suspension components which have been issues in F1 for years.

Great idea F1.

2/28/10, 9:42 PM   #45
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaders edge View Post
i should have said rev monitoring. That would have been more accurate.

The fans have spoken, those series are tremendously more popular along with the throngs that show up in other areas to watch the winged cars.

Horse racing has changed tremendously. From the training regimine to the color of the jockeys to the shoes the horses use to the breeding to the different performance enhancing drugs they use.

You ought to go duke. You may find that you may even like some of the drivers and cars.

Ford is building basically the same cars they have been. They do claim the newer cars get much better fuel milage, so we will see. They were just smart enough to leverage themselves to give themselves cash when the others were running out. They made a great move in securing cash when the others were bleeding and now it is paying off.
no thanks! And i own 6 race horses!

3/1/10, 12:17 PM   #46
Geoff Kaiser

These side panels increase the side force as the car is sideways thru the corner, helping keep the car straighter for increased speed.

They help with driver protection by shielding the driver from rocks, dirt/mud, loose mufflers, etc.

They help advertise drivers names and small sponsors which helps with fan recognition.

Also takes away some of the sun and or track lighting glare at night which helps the driver focus on the track.

1 member likes this post: mod4s
3/1/10, 12:44 PM   #47
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff kaiser View Post
these side panels increase the side force as the car is sideways thru the corner, helping keep the car straighter for increased speed.

They help with driver protection by shielding the driver from rocks, dirt/mud, loose mufflers, etc.

They help advertise drivers names and small sponsors which helps with fan recognition.

Also takes away some of the sun and or track lighting glare at night which helps the driver focus on the track.

wow! Had did they race all these years with out them?

3/1/10, 1:11 PM   #48
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Kaiser View Post
These side panels increase the side force as the car is sideways thru the corner, helping keep the car straighter for increased speed.

You've got enough sheet metal on that 71 car to panel my basement.

1 member likes this post: mod4s
3/1/10, 2:11 PM   #49

Especially, non-winged, everybody is trying to get any advantage they can. My dirt car has the side panels, but I've got to say, I don't really like them. They came with the car and left them on. On yes, there are some minor sponsors on them. People who are more interested in being involved in the car then pure advertising. If one person has them and they are percieved (whether they do or not is irrevelent) to make the car faster, then everyone will have them. The days of simple and pretty cars are long gone.

By the way Jeff, never argue with your car owner, even a part time one. Your response should of been , "yes Mr. Moore, you are correct sir!

Tom Paterson

3/1/10, 2:18 PM   #50
TQ29m

Evidently there is no longer a rule, on how high, from the bottom of the seat, these panels can be. I know at one time there was, because of a condition that was brought up in an earlier post, about being able to get the driver out, if the car ends up in a particular position. Sail panels were not legal for a long time, then they were allowed, now it looks like it's being "overlooked", and the safety aspect has been forgotten. Hope it never is tested! Bob

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's with the panels?