IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's with the panels?
2/28/10, 12:21 AM   #31
Re: What's with the panels?
DonMoore10

I'm trying to figure out how a sponsor can advertise effectively on the body panels around the cage. Must be a strange way of advertising. If I were a sponsor, I don't think the cage panels and the way they are configured would be the place I would want my business advertised. Can anyone tell us who these sponsors are that are willing to buy advertising on these odd shaped cage panels? I'm seeing 6 inches here and 6 inches there with the panels configured in a boomerang shape. Idk... maybe the fans will need to bring high powered binoculars to see these sponsors on the cage panels. I'm usually pelted with dust, dirt, mud clods and "what have you" when I'm sitting in the stands watching a sprint car race. Trying to avoid all that doesn't leave me much time to look for a sponsor on the cage panels.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 2/28/10 at 12:23 AM.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
2/28/10, 1:54 AM   #32
LEADERS EDGE

If no one wants to see the panels and they want to see the drivers; how do we explain the success of the WoO,Dirt Late Models and NASCAR?

Side panels do help the speed.

Me personally; I'd love to see them without the cages and what not, but that will never happen just like the Pony Express probably won't be stopping by any of our houses anytime soon.

Instead of being so concerned with what we had, we need to appreciate what we have. With all of the negative talk and fits of rage over this and that, there is alot of good stories going on in the sport right now and some damn fine racing.

1050 Weight rule with driver is a joke. It's like saying that since I gave you change for a five and now you have 5 one dollar bills, you have more money. Besides; It isn't like there are just a slew of guys who weigh two hundred plus pounds who were just waiting for them to change the weight limit. Those guys don't typically fit well in a midget.

As USAC is finding out in their rev tests out west, the midget rev deal may not be as easy to set guidlines for as they think.

I'll leave you with one question; If someone set up shop in China or India and started building sprint and midget motors for around $12,000 to $15,000 and a series adopted them as their engine of choice; would you quit owning a car or watching the sport? After all; It would be more affordable and better for the consumer and the fans would have more teams to root for.(As the theory goes) Whats it matter how we get there; as long as we are there? Don't think that isn't an option on a table somewhere.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 2/28/10 at 2:16 AM.

2 members like this post: itsanonwingthing, v8j
2/28/10, 8:25 AM   #33
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
if i was going to drive one of those things, i want as much protection as i can get. Just as an f1 driver is pretty much all enclosed these days for safety, so should a sprintcar driver. If the body work puts you off this form of racing then just maybe it is time for you to find another way to get your kicks. I don't know one person who won't go to a race because of some panelling. *shakes head*
what protection do they provide???? Tell me expert!they use to look like a sprint cars!

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaders edge View Post
if no one wants to see the panels and they want to see the drivers; how do we explain the success of the woo,dirt late models and nascar?

Side panels do help the speed.

Me personally; i'd love to see them without the cages and what not, but that will never happen just like the pony express probably won't be stopping by any of our houses anytime soon.

Instead of being so concerned with what we had, we need to appreciate what we have. With all of the negative talk and fits of rage over this and that, there is alot of good stories going on in the sport right now and some damn fine racing.

1050 weight rule with driver is a joke. It's like saying that since i gave you change for a five and now you have 5 one dollar bills, you have more money. Besides; it isn't like there are just a slew of guys who weigh two hundred plus pounds who were just waiting for them to change the weight limit. Those guys don't typically fit well in a midget.

As usac is finding out in their rev tests out west, the midget rev deal may not be as easy to set guidlines for as they think.

I'll leave you with one question; if someone set up shop in china or india and started building sprint and midget motors for around $12,000 to $15,000 and a series adopted them as their engine of choice; would you quit owning a car or watching the sport? After all; it would be more affordable and better for the consumer and the fans would have more teams to root for.(as the theory goes) whats it matter how we get there; as long as we are there? Don't think that isn't an option on a table somewhere.
ok i have found one! Horse racing they have not changed in a long long time! You get way off subject now your taking midgets who cares its over!

2/28/10, 10:44 AM   #34
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
I know they have arm restraints but those don't always prevent an arm leaving the confines of the cockpit.
If their arms come out of the cage then they don't have them on correctly.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
2/28/10, 10:45 AM   #35
SteveD

Just when "brand identity" and the joys of traditional 410 sprints starts to take hold some folks want to start "Sprouting Winglets".... Just a lowley fan point of view and don't worry we'll be there when the green drops supporting our racing addiction, winglets or not. Wishing you one hell'va racing season.

2/28/10, 10:54 AM   #36
Next Generation
Jack Dupp

Behold, the next generation midget / non wing sprint.

2 members like this post: Eric C, SUPERDUKE
2/28/10, 12:09 PM   #37
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how a sponsor can advertise effectively on the body panels around the cage. Can anyone tell us who these sponsors are that are willing to buy advertising on these odd shaped cage panels?
Sorry there Donnybrook, we can't share all of our secrets with you and your stable of cars............

2/28/10, 12:20 PM   #38
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
If no one wants to see the panels and they want to see the drivers; how do we explain the success of the WoO,Dirt Late Models and NASCAR?

1050 Weight rule with driver is a joke.
Outside of one fan from down under, I'm still waiting on the overwelming demand for the panels. Can someone name one fan who wanted the panels added to sprint cars here in the Midwest? So far the "yeahs" haven't come forward both in history and currently. I have two points to mention here. USAC/Indiana style sprint racing has been around a long time and the cars traditionally have had open cockpits without the panels until recent times. So I'm talking tradition, preserving a tradition that is not being demanded to change by sprint car fans. I'm not hearing it on here that the fans like the panels. It doesn't matter what I think. The fans have spoken that the panels are something they don't want to see in the sport for USAC/Indiana style spring car racing. And I really don't care about the other series that you mentioned. It doesn't apply to this series. They have no tradition of open cockpit racing without panels.

The fan is still the most important entity in racing and what they want to see has been sadly put on the back burner in place of big business and money. Let's return the sport to a fan friendly sport, not a corporate driven sport.

Ford Motor Company has finally realized that they must build cars that people like and want to buy and their "new found discovery" is paying off big time. They have finally realized that they must listen to the buyers if they want to survive, again sadly lacking in the racing sport.

And now regarding the weight rule for midgets. I have already talked to two midget teams who have been sitting on the sidelines that think this rule is something that will motivate them to go racing again. That's at least two teams that weren't actively participating before the rule change. I'm sure there are more out there.

And would someone care to elaborate on the "rev testing" going on in the West??? I didn't know that was happening.

2/28/10, 12:58 PM   #39
Anderson36

Don,

I am having a hard time believing this weight rule is going to change anything.

The old rule stated the car had to weight 900lbs without the driver. Races are obviously not won/lost in the pit area like NASCRAP so "most" cars ontrack were 1025-1050 anyways. The new rule has done nothing but forced the heavier drivers to spend more money to make the cars even lighter to be meet the 1050 rule.

BTW, The UMARA rule for this year is 1075lbs with the driver, now we're getting somewhere. A 200lbs driver can typically lose 25lbs to be at the limit. I am also going to suggest a 2 tire per night rule and double file restarts.

Jim Anderson

2/28/10, 1:07 PM   #40
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
if everyone wants to cry about sprint cars, from trivial things like body panels people have on their cars, to tires, to adjustable shocks, why do they go to the race track? It is not 1950, horsepower to tire size the ratio today is probably the same as it was then. The tires are roughly the same size as they were 15 years ago and the motors are way better now, so by the way you guys look at things the cars were more hooked up then they are now concerning tires. Actually they are now less hooked up with tires because now there is a tire rule for a narrower, harder rr. But you guys probably complained then too. Who cares what panels are on the cars, how does that affect the racing? It is just something to complain about.
your right i dont go! Along with 2000 more that don't care about it anymore!

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
the mclaren mp4-17/d from 2003:

the mclaren mp4-23 from 2009:

you can see easily how much they've increased the side protection, about all that protrudes from the body work now is the top of the helmet.
*** are you taking about???? Do you know what a sprint car looks like????

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's with the panels?