IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's with the panels?
2/27/10, 6:57 PM   #21
Re: What's with the panels?
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoore10 View Post
i'm 100% behind the united states auto club regarding what they are doing regarding the problems facing midget racing. It's been a long time coming and an about face for kevin miller from where he was at the beginning of his reign.

1. The 1050 lb weight rule. A great move.

2. Addressing engine costs. Again a great move. From what i heard on the interview with d.o., he would like to bring the engine costs down to something around $12,000 with more longevity and bring purses in line with the costs of operating a midget team. Well, hurray again.

Now.. The third part of the puzzle has not been addressed and that is tires. Not happy about that but maybe he'll surprise us and come up with something that's earth shaking.
we had 8" wide wheels and it should be today! Noe there more rubber on a midget then 1960's sprint cars!

2/27/10, 7:37 PM   #22
dustbowl

If everyone wants to cry about sprint cars, from trivial things like body panels people have on their cars, to tires, to adjustable shocks, why do they go to the race track? It is not 1950, horsepower to tire size the ratio today is probably the same as it was then. The tires are roughly the same size as they were 15 years ago and the motors are way better now, so by the way you guys look at things the cars were more hooked up then they are now concerning tires. Actually they are now less hooked up with tires because now there is a tire rule for a narrower, harder RR. But you guys probably complained then too. Who cares what panels are on the cars, how does that affect the racing? It is just something to complain about.

2/27/10, 8:33 PM   #23
racephoto1

Dustbowl, tires my be roughly the same size, but the compounds are a lot different then 15 years ago. With the bricks they ran in the 50's , the horsepower was still greater than the tire could use. Now it matches.

As for the fans, the body work does make a differance. If you chase them off, they'll find something else to do.They call it open cockpit racing for a reason, unfortunately that reason seems to be disappearing.

4 members like this post: badgerfan, Blackduce, SprintManDave, SUPERDUKE
2/27/10, 8:34 PM   #24
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I can honestly say that Im not a fan of the high sides rear pannels and dished out hoods that provide downforce. Really. Openwheel to me is about seeing elbows flying, A head thru the front.

Remember and seeing the older cars with the windshields and grills is awesome, Remembering Besecker and his clear sidewall car. Matt Westfall in the old
Vogler midget at Ft. Wayne They do bring a added NEATNESS to the sport.

Off High Horse.

Still, If the actions good, Just like a Late Model. I tend to forget all that as the races are going on............

YMMV.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
2/27/10, 8:39 PM   #25
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

does someone have a picture of what we are talking about?

2/27/10, 10:34 PM   #26
Gasman fan 50

HOFFMAN SPRINT CAR!
http://www.hoffmanautoracing.com/

Joe

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
2/27/10, 10:52 PM   #27
dustbowl

I gurantee the panels make ZERO difference in lap times in a non wing sprint car. This is not nascar they are not going 210 mph. Especially on ANY quarter mile. And the compounds are not much different, if any, from years ago. I will just say this, just going by my memory. 6 years ago any right rear that most teams ran were considerably softer than a DT3 on a normal basis. Easily. The DTR is a brick. People generally run a D10, RD 12, or a D12 hoosier LR now and those very well existed at least then and then I am almost sure prior to that.
Last edited by dustbowl; 2/27/10 at 10:57 PM.

2/27/10, 11:14 PM   #28
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
if everyone wants to cry about sprint cars, from trivial things like body panels people have on their cars, to tires, to adjustable shocks, why do they go to the race track? It is not 1950, horsepower to tire size the ratio today is probably the same as it was then. The tires are roughly the same size as they were 15 years ago and the motors are way better now, so by the way you guys look at things the cars were more hooked up then they are now concerning tires. Actually they are now less hooked up with tires because now there is a tire rule for a narrower, harder rr. But you guys probably complained then too. Who cares what panels are on the cars, how does that affect the racing? It is just something to complain about.
your right the cars are ugly all look a like they flip more cars in a night then we did in a year! What good is all this panels on the car? You think it makes them like good or what?

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
i gurantee the panels make zero difference in lap times in a non wing sprint car. This is not nascar they are not going 210 mph. Especially on any quarter mile. And the compounds are not much different, if any, from years ago. I will just say this, just going by my memory. 6 years ago any right rear that most teams ran were considerably softer than a dt3 on a normal basis. Easily. The dtr is a brick. People generally run a d10, rd 12, or a d12 hoosier lr now and those very well existed at least then and then i am almost sure prior to that.
***? You are all wrong!

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer65 View Post
as for arm restraints not always keeping arms in the car, if they were worn properly they would i believe that they are to be worn below the elbow which in teh situation of a flip would hold the arms in the car. On custom driving suits when arm restraints are made in, they are put between the wrist and elbow so why do guys even where them if they where them above the elbow, doesnt do much good keeping the arms in does it???
gary bettenhausen new that 35 year ago!

2/27/10, 11:48 PM   #29
Rpracing1

Sponsers like to see cool paint and bodywork and more square footage for their advertising. That is what these body panels are all about....like em or lump em......

2/28/10, 12:08 AM   #30
Gasman fan 50

Lets put a little wing on top then, one of those San Jose wings, Texas 360 wing.

http://www.garypattersonracing.com/images/gp37.jpg

I guess they call them Aussie Wings.

That was the Tiner car Down Under with the Great GP.

Next stop! http://www.garypattersonracing.com/images/gp39.jpg

Joe
Last edited by Gasman fan 50; 2/28/10 at 12:16 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's with the panels?