IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ok, How's this for a start? WOMS Open Tire Rule in '09
3/10/09, 10:06 AM   #1
Ok, How's this for a start? WOMS Open Tire Rule in '09
jason

Dan Vandermolen takes a big step in 2009 and opens up the tire rule - I commend him for doing so.

Tire rules work for the benefit of groups with large numbers of racers. Everyone knows that there is money built into the cost of the tire that goes to the sanctioning body (in hopes of being forwarded to the racers at a banquet or in a point fund). It also benefits the track distributor (salesperson) as they get a little for hauling, sorting, storing, etc.

The WOMS group is just starting to grow again and here's a way for guys to go out and find whatever tire they can to run. I think that when you look at what Dan has done, he has listened to the guys that are running with him and said "I'll give it a try" - I personally liked the American Racers we ran on before the Hoosiers - they were a bit stickier and I really don't care about their durability. People that promote ANY tire for their ability to last multiple races don't see the big picture - guys will put on tires every week whether they need them or not. WOMS makes you run what you qualified on for the RS tires and I thnk that with some options, it could be a breakthrough year for WOMS. Gentlemen, start your replies!

3/10/09, 10:26 AM   #2
Re: Ok, How's this for a start? WOMS Open Tire Rule in '09
DonMoore10

This sounds like a great start for dealing with tires. I would be interested, now, as to the next step in this process... COST. American Racer is offering midget tires for around $80. Without the kickback to the org, what is the offering price for Hoosiers and American Racers? Is there a compound mandated? Will some racers still get tires at a reduced cost while others pay full price?

3/10/09, 1:42 PM   #3
jason

Don - There is no mandated compound and you get your tires for whatever price you can find - the way that open tire rules that I have been a part of worked. (that is NOT a slam by the way) The way I see it - you could go out and find discontinued tires and save even more. With this being a smaller group, I don't think that any manufacturer will be setting up "deals" as they did years ago - you will just have to look around. Now, being an optimist, it would be nice for this group to get to the point where some manufacturer could offer something up...

3/10/09, 3:24 PM   #4
LRP36

Just how open is this tire rule? Does this mean that you could run the 12.0/23.5 RR or is it limited to the 10.0/23.5 RR? What about the tire compound?

3/10/09, 4:35 PM   #5
jason

I just wrote Dan and email to check - I would think it would still be the 10" stuff, but I will let him get on here and let everyone know. Also, you can head over to wolverinemidgets.com to find out the latest.

As I said earlier, I was the car owner of the #5 Hawk that we raced in this series for three years and as a high school teacher funding the deal out of my own pocket, it got to be a bit too much (but did have fun running over there with you UMARA guys - had a 3rd place finish in '06 against some tough competition - Grundy is probably just about one of the truest midget tracks around) If circumstances would have been right, I would still be running with them. I really like a group that doesn't have its members testing all over the place and spending unlimited dollars. I really believe in WOMS and would love to see it have a nice little niche in midwest midget racing.

Jason Sanderson

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ok, How's this for a start? WOMS Open Tire Rule in '09