IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Red Devil brakes
10/8/17, 12:59 AM   #1
Red Devil brakes
Used2bfast

Running red devil on my midget, busted the rear rotor and now see it had had some cracks in it for a while (just acquired car). The previous owner has had the same problem several times before and speaking to others the issue may be common? Wondering if anyone knows why this happens and if there is a solution?

10/8/17, 10:33 AM   #2
Re: Red Devil brakes
Backitin

Not familiar with that exact type rotor but they don't always last long depending on conditions and driver habits.
Rotors get a ton of abuse and some pretty extreme heat changes. You've seen them glowing red before I'm sure on a race car. Always give your rotors a quick once over and replace before the small cracks fail. Hopefully someone else can comment on the exact rotor you have.

1 member likes this post: Isaac Chapple Racing
10/8/17, 3:03 PM   #3
LRP36

Checking your brake rotors, pads and any of the fasteners in the brake system should be a part of your weekly maintenance....

10/8/17, 3:24 PM   #4
badcoupe

I have personally seen two rear rotors come apart ironically at the same track on different nights. I’ve ran their front brake but not the rear. I would say that it would be wise to inspect weekly especially around the lightening holes and mounting holes weekly

10/8/17, 6:28 PM   #5
Used2bfast

Thanks for the feedback, the rotor on this has only done about 6 nights, if that's the shelf life then brakes will become the most expensive consumable on the car. Will be checking them a lot more thoroughly from now on. I'd never seen it happen before but now that it has everyone says yeah that is common blah blah.. Thanks guys.

10/9/17, 1:18 AM   #6
wobbler

I've run Red Devil Rear Rotors on our midget here in Australia for 5 years or more and with the same rotor for the most part. The only issues I have ever encountered have been with the floating carrier and floater buttons. We would change adapter plate and buttons approx every 6 shows as the plates and buttons would wear. We tried both Red Devil and Wilwood Floating carrier setups and were continually having to replace parts. Changed over to a non-floating carrier and been trouble free.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
10/9/17, 11:44 AM   #7
Backitin

We have had great luck with the braking system on our speedwaybikes. We have never done any brake work at all, over 15 years of racing.

2 members like this post: DAD, darnall
10/9/17, 11:17 PM   #8
Used2bfast

Thanks Wobbler I will look at changing to a non floater. Cheers.

10/11/17, 6:10 PM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
We have had great luck with the braking system on our speedwaybikes. We have never done any brake work at all, over 15 years of racing.
Yeh you guys are know for abusing brakes>>>Zoom right over my head.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Red Devil brakes