IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Affordable Pavement Midget Rules
2/24/20, 3:31 PM   #21
Re: Affordable Pavement Midget Rules
TJ Domark

The combo car idea was successful back in the day and honestly could be successful again with the right combination

I think many of us ( myself included ) have over-analyzed this to the point of exhaustion when honestly the answer is very simple.

STAY OFF THE BIG TRACKS! and no need to worry about the HP / motor garbage

We are talking about the expense of motors / etc. - this will never go away. Someone will always have more HP than the next guy. Someone will always have more $ and outspend the next guy. Someone will always be whining rather than working on their car and setup.

Go race at a small track, Dirt or Pavement and 99% of these problems will go away on their own

I assure you that it's most likely easier to find a smaller race track than to convince a bunch of racers to convert motor programs or try and institute restrictions, gear ratios, left side weight rules, hard tires and god forbid the club that changes the rules every dang week b/c someone actually wins more than once.

Just my 2 cents -

4 members like this post: DAD, interpreter66, K92, tirespinner
2/24/20, 3:51 PM   #22
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
I understand what you’re saying and for the most part agree.... but you should see them at Winchester.
Salem also

3 members like this post: monkeyboy, motorhead748, tirespinner
2/24/20, 4:51 PM   #23
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Salem also
Yes I’d imagine but I’ve never gotten to see them there.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/24/20, 4:53 PM   #24
racebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
First the Illini Series is getting 6 cars on their best day. Second, the Illini Series has always wanted to have a different rule book for each competitor. Once you go faster than their favorite car they go out of their way to write a new rule (weight, restrictors, offsets, etc etc) intended entirely to penalize a guy for winning. And they do it race to race. That's not racing in my opinion. If you want to beat a guy beat him on the track not with the rule book. If you want to change rules do it during the offseason and apply them equally to everyone.
6 cars on a bad day. 12 cars on a good day.

2/24/20, 4:56 PM   #25
racebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Domark View Post
The combo car idea was successful back in the day and honestly could be successful again with the right combination

I think many of us ( myself included ) have over-analyzed this to the point of exhaustion when honestly the answer is very simple.

STAY OFF THE BIG TRACKS! and no need to worry about the HP / motor garbage

We are talking about the expense of motors / etc. - this will never go away. Someone will always have more HP than the next guy. Someone will always have more $ and outspend the next guy. Someone will always be whining rather than working on their car and setup.

Go race at a small track, Dirt or Pavement and 99% of these problems will go away on their own

I assure you that it's most likely easier to find a smaller race track than to convince a bunch of racers to convert motor programs or try and institute restrictions, gear ratios, left side weight rules, hard tires and god forbid the club that changes the rules every dang week b/c someone actually wins more than once.

Just my 2 cents -
1/4 mile or less and flat no bank would work.

2/24/20, 6:16 PM   #26
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
I understand what you’re saying and for the most part agree.... but you should see them at Winchester.
Yea, on second thought my comment was pretty negative. I'm not a pavement fan, but if I was near one of those tracks that were mentioned, I'd check it out....

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, motorhead748, tirespinner
2/24/20, 7:30 PM   #27
TJ Domark

@ racebum
I agree 100%, midgets don't belong on alot of the Highspeed tracks they go to.

I'll admit first hand that it's cool and I've been there done that with racing midgets @ Winchester, Copper World, IRP/ ORP etc. but in efforts to contribute to this conversation and try to "fix the problem" - A simple solution keep the midgets on short tracks it'll fix alot of these problems.

2/24/20, 9:42 PM   #28
Jonr

If you are going to race them at a high level, you are going to have purpose built pavement cars. If you have purpose built pavement cars, every conversion car will be battling for best in class. We can't unlearn technology. If you have to "dummy" down the rules so much that conversion cars are competitive what are you really accomplishing?

2 members like this post: otgracing17, tirespinner
2/25/20, 9:09 PM   #29
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by K92 View Post
"Affordable" midget racing doesn't pay every competitor $150 no matter where you finish

Running with the Illini series is all about getting a participation trophy...
Not true...at least last I knew...paid more to win & finish 2nd (at least).

In-fact I have a pay stub I gotta find for a feature we won that paid a good amount over $150...& later that year, we lead 4-5 laps before I ran the rear brake caliper off the car, in a $1000 to win special...

Come watch one of the shows they put on at Rockford Speedway (at least - I'm sure the South Bend races and Grundy thru the years have been great, but I admit I haven't watched other than at Rockford). The starts are always crazy & almost every race, it seems, the top 3/4/5 battle it out like the race is paying $10,000 to win (I think only 3 midget races in this country - of any kind - pay that much to win anyway...) - videos available throughout the www platforms. Take a look if you have time.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2/25/20, 9:22 PM   #30
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
First the Illini Series is getting 6 cars on their best day. Second, the Illini Series has always wanted to have a different rule book for each competitor. Once you go faster than their favorite car they go out of their way to write a new rule (weight, restrictors, offsets, etc etc) intended entirely to penalize a guy for winning. And they do it race to race. That's not racing in my opinion. If you want to beat a guy beat him on the track not with the rule book. If you want to change rules do it during the offseason and apply them equally to everyone.
Not true about the car count. I know multiple races last year had car counts higher than that.

...and I'd love to have found ANY race series where rules never changed, everyone was treated the same all the time, certain people didn't get to bring up ideas in meetings but others were scoffed at, when someone brings something outside the rule book they don't get to keep running it just because they have it...and on and on...everything you listed is like an industry standard across all racing...how many times did NASCAR "back in the day" make spoiler, etc adjustments (DURING THE SEASON) as certain manufacturers had an advantage or didn't?

(PS - my inbox is still full so don't bother sending any private messages...)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Affordable Pavement Midget Rules