IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2018 Michigan Series Sprint Champs
9/6/18, 9:24 AM   #1
2018 Michigan Series Sprint Champs
Stevensville Mike

Congrats to the sprint champs up this way north of the border. No one else has given them a tip of the hat until now.

Shawn Valenti took the SOD Championship by a very narrow margin over Chad Blonde. SOD still has a couple of non-points race to run for $$$.

http://www.sprintsondirt.com/2018/09...-championship/

Chad Blonde won the SOD Hog Creek Showdown Championship (a four race battle at Butler Speedway).

http://www.sprintsondirt.com/2018/09...-championship/

Although there is nothing on their website saying so, Boston Mead was the 2018 Butler Speedway sprint champ. He had a huge points lead going into the final night which was rained out.

http://butlerspeedway.net/standings.asp?d=3

And Steve Irwin was the MTS Champ. The MTS website has not been updated all year so there is no write-up on him but, correct me if I am wrong, he won every race but one. The one he did NOT win was at Silver Bullet Speedway where rumor has it he lead 23 out of 20 laps and ran out of fuel. The race went 24 laps due to a lap counting error by the officials.

Like I said..... rumor.

Congrats to all. The GLSS championship is still to be decided.

9/6/18, 9:36 AM   #2
Re: 2018 Michigan Series Sprint Champs
Stevensville Mike

I might have been a little quick on the trigger with Irwin and MTS. MTS has one race left at Crystal on the 15th - The Great Lakes Nationals. I momentarily forgot about that one. But he has to be mathematically the champ. And the 15th might not even be a points race (?).

1 member likes this post: fish
9/6/18, 10:04 PM   #3
beaner

As always Mike, good hearing from my fellow Michigan STAC brother. I believe Shawn only won one segment of the SOD season. The overall SOD Champion is indeed Chad Blonde.
Final 2018 SOD Championship Points (Top 5 direct from SOD website)

Car # Driver Points
1 5B Chad Blonde 1644
2 7 Shawn Valenti 1523
3 10S Jay Steinebach 1335
4 0 Ricky Ferkel 1282
5 71H Ryan Ruhl 1176 (ran partial schedule)

Everyone find a race or 3 to attend as the 2018 racing season is winding down fast. Make sure you say hi to one of us if you see a STAC shirt at the track. The Short Track Action Club will be out and about this Fall supporting a track near you.

9/7/18, 6:02 AM   #4
Can26

Well Mike you are kinda correct. Steve has won all but one racer this year and IS the champ with one to go. He truly had an awesome year and deserves it. The one race he didn't win, was a blown tire/ into the wall issue. He went by me with the RR smoking so much on a rubber down track, I figured I didn't NEED to give much chase. ;-)
And THANKS for the mention of us from North of the Ohio border. :-)
Last edited by Can26; 9/7/18 at 6:04 AM. Reason: An addition.

3 members like this post: ChanceDHolley, chrismattlin, Stevensville Mike
9/7/18, 6:04 AM   #5
MIracing

Dustin Daggett was the GLSS champion. Gregg Dalman ended up 2nd and Phil Gressman 3rd.

They did add one last race but I'm assuming non points. It's Oct 13 at I96....same day as 360s at Eldora.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, fish, Stevensville Mike
9/7/18, 8:18 AM   #6
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

Really happy to see the #0 and Ferkel name back in the mix..I know they were both pretty pumped about back to business.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, fishnman, MIracing, Stevensville Mike
9/9/18, 10:04 PM   #7
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Thanks for the update Mike. Dick Beebe would be proud of you.

2 members like this post: Stevensville Mike, wallbanger II
9/10/18, 2:10 PM   #8
Stevensville Mike

Thanks for your words, Rich. Anytime one is used in the same sentence as Dick Beebe is an honor.

However, I was hoping this thread would just flat out die. I was incorrect on many accounts:

Chad Blonde was the SOD Champ, not Shawn Valenti. I bit on one article on the SOD website wherein Valenti won a partial portion of the schedule, not the whole thing. And.... I actually THOUGHT Blonde had won but somehow was allowed to be "talked" out of it.

I thought GLSS was still going with Dustin Daggett atop the table. Apparently their series was over already.

I was kind of right about MTS and Steve Irwin but as Can26 pointed out, a tire took him down not fuel. Thanks, John. By the way, you still are the winner of the strangest sprint car finish I ever saw - Shiawassee County Fairgrounds about ten years back.

But on the up side, I was CORRECT with Boston Mead being the Butler Champ and Chad winning the Hog Creek Showdown.

So, out of five points, I was wrong on two, right on two, and about half way right on the fifth. That's about a .500 average. Good for baseball, but bad for stats.

I think I will now get out of this thread and go back to watching reruns of Mannix on MeTV. I taped them with my VCR.
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 9/10/18 at 2:12 PM.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, Rich Mersereau
9/10/18, 10:02 PM   #9
Can26

Silver bullet was quite a night.
I'm not sure just how many laps we did do, but it did FEEL like 65!
There were a few cars with only cords left on the right rear. There were a few cars with only ounces of fuel left in the tank too. I do know the last green/white/checker, I never got over 1/4 throttle, with the main fuel shut off half way to lean it out, and the motor was sputtering the whole time. As I have always said, " I would rather be lucky than good any day!" LOL
I bet there is a 'back story' to most of the wins that took place this year, but only a few will hear the 'rest of the story'.
Shiawassee... Yes, you are correct, it was a strange one, BUT it did payout just the same! LOL :-)

9/11/18, 9:34 AM   #10
Scott Daloisio

You mentioned Dick Beebe. I grew up in Michigan and grew up reading the “MARC Times.” Headed west to California when I graduated from high school in 1974. Is the “MARC Times” and Dick still around?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2018 Michigan Series Sprint Champs