IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Extra Race Day Added CB '19
1/12/18, 9:32 AM   #11
Re: Extra Race Day Added CB '19
48M

I raced last year. Had motor problems all week. I did pull onto the track every time I was supposed to but never finished a race. I believe I was paid $100 for my qualifying night and $100 for Saturday. So that's basically what last place pays.

2 members like this post: Can26, tirespinner
1/12/18, 11:25 AM   #12
trackprep

Race Count This Year: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Please post what you earned (the actual payout from the event; I fully understand friends, memories, good times, etc are all "earned" thru-out the event) after Saturday night. We are all curious. Thanks! It will keep this thread going for a while if anything...LOL
I never have looked I've always let the guys that help me pick the checks up and tell them to keep them and sign my name on them. I don't have 2 nickels to rub together so don't think I'm arrogant and rich. I never go to a track thinking tow money is going to keep the lights on at the house. Some of you may know that I'm also involved on the other side of the pay window with a track as well so I am seeing it from both sides

1/13/18, 3:45 PM   #13
Midget98

In 2000 I made my first ever laps in a midget at the Chili Bowl. In fact, before getting pushed off in the parking lot, I had never been in a midget with the engine running. I finished mid pack in the B on my qualifying night, Finished 2nd in the D on Saturday to transfer and then finished 9th in the C-main after getting bounced pretty good by Sammy Swindell and got $125 total for the week. In 2001 I don't remember exactly where I ended up, but I think I got stuck in the D on Saturday and went nowhere after getting beat up pretty bad on my qualifting night. I believe I got a check for $100 for the week. I never went to Tulsa with the idea that we would ever come close to breaking even. You race the Chili Bowl for the thrill of the event as a whole. It's something I will always remember and still have great memories of my times there both on and mostly off the track. Payout is good to win, but no one else makes much of anything. I think if they eliminated the payout entirely you would still see 300 cars show up. I probably shouldn't give them any ideas or it may happen.

-Kevin Eggert

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jjones752, Kydehart, PIT CART
1/13/18, 10:16 PM   #14
treecitytornado

For the amount of Sponsorship they get, TV Coverage, etc, obviously the Purse got left in the weeds.

2 members like this post: jdull99, tmac39
1/13/18, 11:48 PM   #15
Eric Smith

Is there an entry fee to race or a parking fee?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/14/18, 12:04 AM   #16
treecitytornado

$150 Entry Fee. $53,550 in entry fees alone were turned in, more if some of them were late. $200 if Late. Plus think of all the Pit Passes and Fans for the Week.
Last edited by treecitytornado; 1/14/18 at 12:07 AM.

3 members like this post: jdull99, midnightrider, tmac39
1/14/18, 2:25 AM   #17
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Maybe if they raise the purse they will get more cars. I might go back after a 20 year absence if I thought they could get enough cars.
haha....

1/14/18, 3:12 AM   #18
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
$150 Entry Fee. $53,550 in entry fees alone were turned in, more if some of them were late. $200 if Late. Plus think of all the Pit Passes and Fans for the Week.
EXACTLY...so...if everyone wants to race for $100; I can agree...but ONLY if there was NO entry fee & at least free pit pass for the drivers...meanwhile Toyota's lap up to 9th place and the promoters will be counting their earnings for days...lol.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/14/18, 9:55 AM   #19
wobbler

All this whinging and ******** about the purse and entry fees is a joke and it doesn't seem to concern too many of the 350 or so cars that showed up this year so, I don't really think the promoters are going to be concerned by the few people that don't show up because the event only pays $10k to win!

I wonder how much it actually costs the promoters to rent that little shed each year? How much it costs to store all the infrastructure that is used to build the bad ass bullring? How much wages are for all the staff involved in running the event? I don't see too many other people putting there hand in their pockets and trying to run an event as impressive as the Chili Bowl is? Correct me if i'm wrong too but, aren't promoters business owners, Entrepreneurs, doing things like this to make some $$$ for themselves and there families?

I wonder what percentage of teams entered in this years event were run as a legitimate, primary business by their owners as opposed to a business that is used by successful people as a tax dodge or a part time racer that races as a hobby and for the love of the sport? If racers at any level are relying on the payout window to make a buck, especially at an event that attracts so many cars, then they either have a rather large opinion of themselves or have very delusional ideas on how things work in the real world.

1/14/18, 10:07 AM   #20
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
All this whinging and ******** about the purse and entry fees is a joke and it doesn't seem to concern too many of the 350 or so cars that showed up this year so, I don't really think the promoters are going to be concerned by the few people that don't show up because the event only pays $10k to win!

I wonder how much it actually costs the promoters to rent that little shed each year? How much it costs to store all the infrastructure that is used to build the bad ass bullring? How much wages are for all the staff involved in running the event? I don't see too many other people putting there hand in their pockets and trying to run an event as impressive as the Chili Bowl is? Correct me if i'm wrong too but, aren't promoters business owners, Entrepreneurs, doing things like this to make some $$$ for themselves and there families?

I wonder what percentage of teams entered in this years event were run as a legitimate, primary business by their owners as opposed to a business that is used by successful people as a tax dodge or a part time racer that races as a hobby and for the love of the sport? If racers at any level are relying on the payout window to make a buck, especially at an event that attracts so many cars, then they either have a rather large opinion of themselves or have very delusional ideas on how things work in the real world.
Nice to get a little perspective from Down Under; you had me at "whinging"...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Extra Race Day Added CB '19