IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8 tracks in Indiana join alliance.
1/8/14, 8:51 PM   #1
8 tracks in Indiana join alliance.
cowboyhar69

Eight Indiana race tracks join alliance led by former NASCAR promoter

January 8, 2014

H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler is at the wheel of an initiative to breathe new life—and money—into myriad auto racing tracks across the country.

Eight tracks in Indiana are set to be beneficiary of Wheeler’s new endeavor.

Wheeler made a name for himself as the president and general manager of Charlotte Motor Speedway, one of the premier auto racing venues owned by Bruton Smith’s Speedway Motorsports Inc. Charlotte has been the site of many memorable NASCAR races.

Wheeler has since departed that post, but remains close to auto racing and last month launched Speedway Benefits LLC.

Speedway Benefits, Wheeler explained, is an alliance of tracks to leverage more and bigger advertising and sponsorship deals across those tracks. Speedway Benefits has already signed 300 tracks to be members, and Wheeler thinks he will have close to 1,000 as the initiative matures in 2015.

Wheeler’s son, Trip, a 20-year motorsports sales veteran, is helping lead the initiative. Already, the Wheelers said they have brought on some of the top grass roots tracks in the U.S., including Marshalltown Speedway (Iowa), Maryland International Raceway (Maryland), Lernerville Speedway (Pennsylvania) and Caraway Speedway (North Carolina).

Indiana tracks involved include; Terre Haute Action Track, Thunder Valley Raceway, Daugherty Motor Speedway, Baer Field Speedway, Plymouth Speedway, Tri-State Speedway and Miami County Speedway.

“[The number of tracks that have already joined] proves the idea was sound and greatly needed,” Trip Wheeler said. “We are signing up tracks as fast as our seven-person staff can handle. While we will eventually get to 500 or even 1,000 tracks next year, the attendance our member tracks represent now makes us very appealing to global companies.”

The Wheelers said they’re already gotten positive feedback from a number of potential major sponsors.

“The proposition is simple,” Humpy Wheeler said. “We harness the buying power of member tracks to generate instant positive return for sponsors. Converting at even 1 percent rate can generate millions of dollars in new revenue for partner [tracks].”

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Last edited by cowboyhar69; 1/8/14 at 8:53 PM. Reason: deleltions

1/8/14, 9:02 PM   #2
Re: 8 tracks in Indiana join alliance.
Action Tracker

Pardon me for being worried about NASCAR and Humpy Wheeler making decisions about the Terre Haute Action Track.

1/8/14, 9:13 PM   #3
DAD

Would that be the famous "WONDER VALLEY" at Salem Indiana??

Honest Dad himself

1/8/14, 9:14 PM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Just to be clear, Humpy Wheeler is not NASCAR.
That being said, he's always come across to me as somone who could have been a snake-oil salesman in earlier times; even the name conjures up images of florid-nosed hucksters in loud plaid suits...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

4 members like this post: Copperhead, DAD, El1teBr33ze, Speedwrench
1/8/14, 9:34 PM   #5
sp6967

humpy is gonna save Indiana short track racing....amen....praise the lord....

1 member likes this post: racephoto1
1/8/14, 9:36 PM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Just to be clear, Humpy Wheeler is not NASCAR.
That being said, he's always come across to me as somone who could have been a snake-oil salesman in earlier times; even the name conjures up images of florid-nosed hucksters in loud plaid suits...
Jim

Think of the guy that invented "Legend Cars" and 600 racing. A great little series although very "SPEC. ORIENTED" as if you have to buy all replacement part from 600 racing or you are illegal. He is in it for himself, I guess if that breathes life back into some dying tracks that is still a good thing. Just not my style.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
1/8/14, 9:43 PM   #7
johnnythunderhead
Banned

gowlee sgt carter, i've heard of a couple a them

1/8/14, 9:49 PM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Yeah, he's done some good things but he definitely comes from more of the "showman" side than the France family.
I think my personal favorite idea of his was something that for all intents and purposes was a car-mounted SAFER barrier. It's my favorite because of the name: "Humpy Bumper"
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/8/14, 10:01 PM   #9
spicoli

I said this in an earlier thread, and I'll say it again...

Humpy Wheeler was the guy that said "Women won't like dirt tracks because the dirt will mess up their hair-do".

Please note: "Wheeler's son, Trip, a 20 year sales veteran"
Sales people don't always have their customer's best interests at heart. If they don't sell something, they don't make any money.

I hope for the best.

1/8/14, 10:09 PM   #10
Action Tracker

I wonder if Humpy has ever been to the Action Track. I've only missed a handful of USAC races there in the last 45 yrs. Haven't seen him there yet.

1 member likes this post: billwill7
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8 tracks in Indiana join alliance.