IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OFF TOP. Formula 1 going to Las Vegas. 3 Races in the U.S.
3/23/22, 7:49 AM   #1
OFF TOP. Formula 1 going to Las Vegas. 3 Races in the U.S.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

OFF TOP….. For those interested.

Formula 1 going to Las Vegas. 3 Races in the U.S.

The 2022 schedule already has 2 races in the U.S. with Circuit Of The Americas in Austin, Texas & the newly added Grand Prix of Miami with a race around Hard Rock stadium (NFL home of the Miami Dolphins) in May.

Looks like Formula 1 could have a third race in the United States in Las Vegas as early as the 2023 season.

I know the American HASS F1 Team hasn’t been very good in recent years but however I watch the first race of the F1 calendar in Bahrain on Sunday and it was a good race. The HASS F1 Team placed 5th with driver Kevin Magnussen behind the wheel of one of the teams 2 cars.

Article
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...ith-2023-race/
Last edited by nathans1012; 3/23/22 at 7:53 AM.

5 members like this post: jdull99, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, sw1911, tirespinner
3/23/22, 8:12 AM   #2
Re: OFF TOP. Formula 1 going to Las Vegas. 3 Races in the U.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Never been able to get into it. Amazing machines. But you think Napcar has Draaama. You ain't seen nothing compared to their commentators and constant B*****Ing Not to mention you might be able to mortgage a house and get into a Nascar race. You better have some major corporation in F1 these are billion dollar teams.

2 members like this post: motorhead748, nathans1012
3/23/22, 8:25 AM   #3
sw1911

Hopefully that is a sign that motorsports in general is on the uptick. And hopefully the cup race at Gateway sells out.

3/23/22, 11:02 AM   #4
The Old Coyote

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/23/22, 12:09 PM   #5
Midget98

I might go if it were at Indy again, but that's not likely to ever happen. I certainly wouldn't travel far to see them "race".

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, tirespinner
3/23/22, 1:05 PM   #6
jdull99

U gota watch F-1 (400,000 more did last wknd than the Indycar race, sadly...) so u know where the Indycar drivers are coming from and (maybe) goin to...lol. For real. It is what it is and the only guy that could change it was Tony George and not enough people supported him and Corp America didn't support enough of the teams. I'm glad I got to see it and remember about every top five Davey Hamilton, Donnie Beechler, Billy Boat had and Tony's wins.

But ya, the Haas 2nd driver, Mick Schumacher (Michael's son) had his best result Sunday too (11th). Hopefully the team is on the up-and-up since they got rid of Putin's chemical buddy's kid...who I really didn't think shoulda been dumped to the curb (IF he denounced Putin on the Blitz) but he was in way over his head in F-1...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4 members like this post: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, tirespinner, Turd Ferguson
3/23/22, 1:13 PM   #7
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
Hopefully that is a sign that motorsports in general is on the uptick. And hopefully the cup race at Gateway sells out.
Agreed, and I think it is trending up. Formula 1 has struck gold with their Drive to Survive series on Netflix. Viewership and social media engagement are way up, which can be directly attributed to the Netflix series as well as the quality of the television production for their races. Last season was phenomenal, especially the last 2 races.

Promoters here in the U.S. are eager to capitalize on F1’s growth. Just look at the sell out they had at COTA last fall. Strike while the iron is hot and get more races if it is possible. The F1 leadership is obviously eager to seize the opportunity also.

Viewership for NASCAR and IndyCar seems to be moving in the right direction. The challenge they face is attracting younger fans.

On a smaller scale, you can see an influx of money in dirt racing from streaming services in the last few years. On the dirt late model side, you have the XR series putting up big money this season (including Bristol the next 2 weekends), Eldora running the million again, and the FloRacing night in America series that will pay really well also. Streaming and social media can have a direct, positive impact on teams that engage their fans and monetize it. Hunt the Front is a fantastic example of a small town, weekend warrior race team that has grown exponentially through social media engagement. Now they have gone from weekend warriors to racing for a living. How many people would subscribe to a YouTube channel, follow on other social media, and buy merchandise from a traditional sprint car team that follows the model of Hunt the Front? I would expect it to be a huge hit among the open wheel fan base. Maybe somebody is already doing it, but if not there is a huge opportunity being missed.

3/23/22, 5:44 PM   #8
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Hoosier Race Fan,

You make a lot of great points. I've not seen the F1 Drive to Survive series, but I've heard it's great to watch. There is definitely a connection to this series and F1 viewing. JDull was right.....more people watched the F1 race last weekend than the Indy Car race. The Texas Indy Car race attendance was estimated at 5,000 by Racer Magazine. It was embarrassing.

You're right about the social media element. The Hunt to Front brothers / team has an amazing following. I got hooked on it because it gave race fans a behind the scenes look at their operation. Jonathon Joiner was a high school English teacher before full time with that team. Now that team races for a living because of all their engagement.

I follow HTF, David Gravel, Swindell Speed Labs and Mandee Pauch on You Tube. They all are quick to post You Tube recaps of their weekends, connecting to race fans. Many people hate Facebook, but there is an amazing amount of racing information and updates every day. I've traded comments with Mark Martin on the ASA memories page before. What's that tell you. You control what you want on Facebook.

Sure be nice if FLO had a non wing sprint car series like their 2022 Castrol® FloRacing Night in America late model series. Maybe some day.

5 members like this post: 95KART, hoosier race fan, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
3/23/22, 6:25 PM   #9
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
Hoosier Race Fan,

You make a lot of great points. I've not seen the F1 Drive to Survive series, but I've heard it's great to watch. There is definitely a connection to this series and F1 viewing. JDull was right.....more people watched the F1 race last weekend than the Indy Car race. The Texas Indy Car race attendance was estimated at 5,000 by Racer Magazine. It was embarrassing.

You're right about the social media element. The Hunt to Front brothers / team has an amazing following. I got hooked on it because it gave race fans a behind the scenes look at their operation. Jonathon Joiner was a high school English teacher before full time with that team. Now that team races for a living because of all their engagement.

I follow HTF, David Gravel, Swindell Speed Labs and Mandee Pauch on You Tube. They all are quick to post You Tube recaps of their weekends, connecting to race fans. Many people hate Facebook, but there is an amazing amount of racing information and updates every day. I've traded comments with Mark Martin on the ASA memories page before. What's that tell you. You control what you want on Facebook.

Sure be nice if FLO had a non wing sprint car series like their 2022 Castrol® FloRacing Night in America late model series. Maybe some day.
Joseph Joiner and his Hunt The Front youtube stuff is great. Been following him for a good while. Got to talk to him last year at at Fairbury American Legion Speedway during the Prairie Dirt Classic and is a good dude. Slowly but surely making a name for himself in dirt late model racing.

Some forms of racing need to do a helluva better job on the media side of things.

And as you said it Would be cool to have a Sprint Night in America like Flo has for Super Late Models.

The only question I have it what 10-12 tracks would sign on to have a race?

2 members like this post: Grocery Guy, tirespinner
3/23/22, 7:40 PM   #10
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Nice to hear. US might have gotten that extra race because they canceled Russia. Only “woke” thing I agree with.

5 members like this post: duel, ginblueearth, jdull99, nathans1012, sw1911
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OFF TOP. Formula 1 going to Las Vegas. 3 Races in the U.S.