IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brazil IndyCar Cancelled - Silver Crown Premier Event
1/30/15, 9:18 AM   #1
Brazil IndyCar Cancelled - Silver Crown Premier Event
miledirt

About the cancelled race...
http://www.wthr.com/story/27976853/i...race-in-brazil

As we watch the continual slide of the IndyCar series and more and more of our best American open wheel short track talent go to Charlotte for Memorial Day weekend instead of the Brickyard, it again makes me wish that the Silver Crown series or Championship Dirt Car series had a premier event. I know it's about money and sponsorship and I know that guys like Rico would still end up in NASCAR, but still wouldn't it be cool if our series had it's own big premier event during the schedule?

A guy can dream, right? Here's what I posted this on the group Facebook page several months ago....

Question: Is it possible to get a good track condition for a dirt track in May in daytime conditions?
Here's my scenario: The 2015 Hoosier Hundred
The Saturday before the Indy 500
Hotlaps at 9:00a
Qualifying at 11:00a
Semi Feature(s) at 12:30p
Feature at 2:00p
20,000 to win
10k more added throughout the field
- sing "Back home again in Indiana" - It's an American thing
- do the balloon things too
- bigger purse means higher car counts
- you could still get to Anderson in time, drivers and fans
- in essence, make this USAC Championship Dirt Car event the feel of what the Indy 500 used to be
The Indy 500 is still great and will forever be special, but we just aren't going to see the best American open wheel short track talent race their anymore. These guys in the Silver Crown series, our guys, need a premier event. If it's not the Hoosier Hundred, then a different race. Do it at DuQuoin at night or Springfield during the fair.
One big time USAC champ car a year, the big daddy

1/30/15, 9:27 AM   #2
Re: Brazil IndyCar Cancelled - Silver Crown Premier Event
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

I personally think the Hoosier Hundred would be the perfect venue to make an event like this. Find a way to draw people in that are already in town for racing. Just my opinion!

1 member likes this post: racephoto1
1/30/15, 9:29 AM   #3
cmakin

To be honest, IndyCar has lost me as a fan of the series the past few years. Other than the 500, they have become CARTII, and an even worse version than the original. The final two weekends in May will always get my attention. Let's just hope that they don't trim it down to any fewer days. I find that I spend less time at the Speedway during my spring time visits to Indiana, and more cleaning dust from my cameras and lenses. . . not that this is a bad thing, of course.

1/30/15, 9:55 AM   #4
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

How about a twist off of miledirt's idea and run a Hoosier 150. Twin 75 lap races on the same day. Same kind of purse structure for each of the 75 laps, full point for each race and a big bonus like 10 or 15k if a driver could win both of the twin 75's. Maybe do a 8 car invert from the first 75 lap race.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
1/30/15, 10:48 AM   #5
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Indy cars on mile dirt,come on.

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/30/15, 11:05 AM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Indy cars on mile dirt,come on.
Mc

Naw >>>>Champ Cars aka Silver Crown Cars on dirt. If that works out we could put down Bricks and if that works out lets pave the darned place.

Honestly USAC if you are paying attention Indy racing is falling on it's face. Too Much Money and Special interest people and not enough racers. These guys believe that the hallmark of a good driver is found in his back pocket, A degree in Go Kart racing and $50,000,000.00 will guarantee you a seat in an Indy Ride. If you have talent better head South.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: RACrappieman
1/30/15, 1:15 PM   #7
LEADERS EDGE

I think the fact that we aren't already recognizing them for the events they are is the real shame.

4 members like this post: HardyBoysRacing, ISF, JordanBlanton, monkeyboy
1/30/15, 3:53 PM   #8
dirtball

I'm still teed-off about not running the race on Fri. nite! Now that I think about it Further- they should run it in Sept. on a Sat. and the sprint cars on Sun. at Terre Haute!!!!#######$$$$$%%####

1/30/15, 3:56 PM   #9
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
I think the fact that we aren't already recognizing them for the events they are is the real shame.
I agree. Has anyone ever thought about how much history this series has? The second longest running race in the history of the United States , the Tony Bettenhausen 100. The names that have came from this series? Kahne, Stewart, Larson, Edwards, Newman, Jones, Clauson, Foyt, Unser, Andretti, Vogler, Carter, etc., etc. The history of the Hoosier Hundred, Ted Horn 100, and Tony Bettenhausen 100 are some of the richest in tradition in all of motorsports. It is a shame so many people don't even know about these races, let alone the people that don't even acknowledge them.

1/30/15, 8:13 PM   #10
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyBoysRacing View Post
I agree. Has anyone ever thought about how much history this series has? The second longest running race in the history of the United States , the Tony Bettenhausen 100. The names that have came from this series? Kahne, Stewart, Larson, Edwards, Newman, Jones, Clauson, Foyt, Unser, Andretti, Vogler, Carter, etc., etc. The history of the Hoosier Hundred, Ted Horn 100, and Tony Bettenhausen 100 are some of the richest in tradition in all of motorsports. It is a shame so many people don't even know about these races, let alone the people that don't even acknowledge them.
No words can express how much truth there is in this post, nor is there words to express how much I agree with it!!

Thank you.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brazil IndyCar Cancelled - Silver Crown Premier Event