IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What do you call a budget-minded Midget?
D-II, Division 2 Midgets 28 31.11%
Sportsman Midgets 45 50.00%
AA Midgets 5 5.56%
Midget "Lites" 12 13.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Great Name Debate
1/30/15, 6:03 PM   #21
Re: The Great Name Debate
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt View Post
I'm confused Daddy-o. Is it 10K or 20-30k for a midget? I don't race. I'm a fan, and all this is confusing.
When I pull into the track and hear midgets, or school buses, or clown cars (or any division for that matter) are on the program, I assume they are all competing under the same set of rules.
addict

I did not sign that post!!! It is kind of like Cinderella you got the lovely little step child hiding in the shadows of the overbearing older children. Cinderella (Mini Sprint UKK!!! or Stock Block style Midget can be owned for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000.00 range. It will be very competitive with the cars it races with depending on the driver. $20,000.00 up will buy a not very competitive Midget or Sprint Car.

The debate is between the Mini Sprint guys, and the guys (probably just Me) that would like to be called some sort of a Midget. Heck "Cinderella Midget" beats anything XXX Sprint to me. I also love Sprint cars but just can not equate the cars that we race with them.

For the Micro guys wanting to move up to sprints go find a sprint car and push it around a little> There is a difference!!
Last edited by DAD; 1/30/15 at 6:06 PM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
1/30/15, 6:25 PM   #22
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Bill Jones's DADS Muffler Midgets.... comes up with a 5,000.00 point fund and crown a NATIONAL CHAMPION. no D-2/Sportsman/AA/Lite

?????? HOW?

easy.....

• Each series/club/Assoc. comes on board. Race under your name, your rules
  • Each racers that becomes a member @ $100.00 picks 13 races before the season starts. You will be allowed 1 throw away for a total of 12 races for the year.
  • We understand not all would do this but some would. Say we get 100 racers then this will be a $10,000.00 points fund paying the top 20.
  • Add Dad's Muffler as the "National" sponsor at $5,000.00 now becomes a $15,000.00 points fund.
  • You have to have each series or track submit you finish by Monday of that week if not you do not get credit. Point will be updated every week.

We would also need to pay an executor say 5-8% for the time involved...

See how easy it is on PAPER or in this case red and white. Good discussion don't know it would happen cause no one in the world today wants to on the same page....Enjoy all the good reads here on IOW!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1/30/15, 6:27 PM   #23
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I may be currently the hottest topic on IOW.
From my view it may be the hottest topic from the same handful of people posting endlessly and seldom on topic just to get it back to the top of the page.

1/30/15, 6:35 PM   #24
DAD

Andrew

My Dad told me something a long long time ago. "Wanting something is much more fun than having something." It is the fight that counts, and nothing that is worthwhile comes easy. Is that off base enough for you.
Last edited by DAD; 1/30/15 at 6:36 PM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
1/30/15, 6:45 PM   #25
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Andrew

My Dad told me something a long long time ago. "Wanting something is much more fun than having something." It is the fight that counts, and nothing that is worthwhile comes easy. Is that off base enough for you.

I know all about wanting and nothing comes easy. I "wanted" to move to Indiana a long time before I actually was able to,and it wasnt an easy process along the way to getting here.

I also know where I am going to go if I "want " to watch good midget racing.

The biggest problem you guys are having is the confusion in your posts. I remember talking to an older co-worker a few years ago (at the time) and we were talking about "perception" and how you perceive things. My perception of all this D-2 and mini sprints or whatever else is racing is this: I perceive that if I come to watch one of those races,then in essence I am going to be watching Hornets,Street Stocks,and Modifieds all racing together at once. Whether thats true or not,is just how I perceive it,and it doesnt interest me to come watch it,and see if my perception is accurate or not.

2 members like this post: DAD, fish
1/30/15, 6:49 PM   #26
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Obviously this subject is getting a much needed airing. Don't stop now

1/30/15, 6:52 PM   #27
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
I know all about wanting and nothing comes easy. I "wanted" to move to Indiana a long time before I actually was able to,and it wasnt an easy process along the way to getting here.

I also know where I am going to go if I "want " to watch good midget racing.

The biggest problem you guys are having is the confusion in your posts. I remember talking to an older co-worker a few years ago (at the time) and we were talking about "perception" and how you perceive things. My perception of all this D-2 and mini sprints or whatever else is racing is this: I perceive that if I come to watch one of those races,then in essence I am going to be watching Hornets,Street Stocks,and Modifieds all racing together at once. Whether thats true or not,is just how I perceive it,and it doesnt interest me to come watch it,and see if my perception is accurate or not.
Andrew

Probably Illinois would be a better state to live in if you want to watch some good Midget racing. The Midgets have dried up in Indiana the only semi regular show is Montpelier and they run because of the influx of those other cars. We can however handle Sprint cars in Indiana every week and everywhere.

1 member likes this post: Andrew S. Quinn
1/30/15, 6:58 PM   #28
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Andrew

Probably Illinois would be a better state to live in if you want to watch some good Midget racing. The Midgets have dried up in Indiana the only semi regular show is Montpelier and they run because of the influx of those other cars. We can however handle Sprint cars in Indiana every week and everywhere.

I moved here to watch sprint cars. Along the way I've found the midgets in Illinois,and beyond as really good racing,and thats why I dont hesitate to head over there many times each season.

2 members like this post: DAD, Wayne Davis
1/30/15, 7:00 PM   #29
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

May I point out that, in the early 50s, ARDC ran Offys, while NEMA did not allow them. Both clubs ran Midgets. Only insiders knew the difference. When NEMA decided to allow Offys, they gave a trophy to the top non-Offy competitors, but otherwise they were all Midgets.

Recently, of course, they changed that stance by inventing an entry class (driveshafts with limited engines) called NEMA Lites. They had to have a separate name, because they run separate heats and features at most shows. As a business principle, a track has to book a NEMA show to get a NEMA Lites show, since the latter is very inexpensive.

Now, some number of Lites owners have become disenchanted at being the underclass and have started their own club, called Wicked Cool Midgets. They supposedly have a bunch of dates by agreeing to run without the full Midgets, for a much lower fee.

Meanwhile, in Northern New England, we have two groups that are, respectively, regional groups of USAC and POWRI. They have restricted engines (similar to the NEMA Lites), but they call themselves Midgets.

All of the above are driveshaft clubs. The zillions of mini-sprints that were orphaned when Whip City Speedway closed down are running with one of two groups in Northern New England that call themselves mini-sprints.
Last edited by Dick Monahan; 1/30/15 at 7:02 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, Wayne Davis
1/30/15, 7:06 PM   #30
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
Now, some number of Lites owners have become disenchanted at being the underclass and have started their own club, called Wicked Cool Midgets.
There is another name to add to the name list and vote on !

1 member likes this post: monkeyboy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Great Name Debate