IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th
1/29/15, 2:36 PM   #21
ernart3

I just wish you wouldn't say you are having midget races at du quoin say it like it is. It's a upright mini or ecotech. There is no such thing as national midgets. Their are midgets and ecotech focus cars and upright minis.

2 members like this post: DAD, RickyBobby
1/29/15, 3:42 PM   #22
Re: Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th
DAD

ernart

Checking back on your profile I notice that you race Montpelier with a Midget. Does it offend you to be racing against that famous Chain Gang, Focus Midgets and Yes even the Echotec Midgets that Harold has seen fit to include in his Midget programs. The reasoning for this is it helps him fill out his field. We have been known to beat a few old Pontiac's, and Fontana's on our excursions up there to race.

I know that it may be a bitter pill to take but some of these distasteful Midgets size cars are as fast or faster than many second tier Midgets. We have always managed to finish in the middle of the pack at Montpelier when racing up there that would mean that several Midget cars have been behind us. I love the format of race cars that Harold has put together and hope that other promoters will want to try the same thing.

When we are diving under that Full Midget powered with a specialty Midget Motor coming out of turn 4 the crowd does not know what kind of car we are in they just know that they saw an exciting move on the race track.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/29/15 at 3:46 PM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
1/29/15, 4:26 PM   #23
ernart3

Montpelier runs midgets and allows everyone. You race midgets and only allow ecotechs or mini's. We have raced Montpelier which is a long drive just for track and seat time. I know in your mind you think that the fans can't tell the difference between a ecotech and a midget but I think you are wrong. I'm not saying that ecotechs can't put on as good of a show. I'm just tired of seeing posts about a midget race in Florida or southern illinois just to find out it's not midgets it's mini sprints. Half the damn posts on here are you tooting your own horn about how you can run the same lap times as "national" midgets. Damn that's like the computer racers saying they are faster than Sammy at the chili bowl because they raced online and were fast. I don't know where you finished in the chili bowl this year? And surely you went because you just as fast as Kevin and Sammy.

3 members like this post: DAD, spartandawg20, TQ97
1/29/15, 4:46 PM   #24
spartandawg20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernart3 View Post
Montpelier runs midgets and allows everyone. You race midgets and only allow ecotechs or mini's. We have raced Montpelier which is a long drive just for track and seat time. I know in your mind you think that the fans can't tell the difference between a ecotech and a midget but I think you are wrong. I'm not saying that ecotechs can't put on as good of a show. I'm just tired of seeing posts about a midget race in Florida or southern illinois just to find out it's not midgets it's mini sprints. Half the damn posts on here are you tooting your own horn about how you can run the same lap times as "national" midgets. Damn that's like the computer racers saying they are faster than Sammy at the chili bowl because they raced online and were fast. I don't know where you finished in the chili bowl this year? And surely you went because you just as fast as Kevin and Sammy.

This guy!

1 member likes this post: RickyBobby
1/29/15, 5:02 PM   #25
DAD

ernart

I guess my question should have been where do you race? If I did not think it would open up a can of worms I would invite you down to race a Du Quoin. I would bet you and I are closer to being in the same boat than you might like. I love Racing>>> Midget racing in particular. I don't think that you or I are planning to race with the real Midgets any time soon. By that I mean the TRO's and MoPars and Big head Esslingers are not on my immediate have to get list. What I am saying is that top rung type of race car is not for everyone. But because my motor does not cost as much as my first house it doesn't mean that I can not nor should not be able to enjoy Midget racing.

Midgets can be for Saturday night racers also and not require a $3000.00 investment to travel to some distant track to race for an enormous purse that actually would not even cover the cost of the travel expense alone.

I don't know where you live but Montpelier is almost 4 hours away for me and I love the idea of going up there to race. If a track was to start a Midget division such as Harold has an hour away from home that would be wonderful.

Because I want this possibility of other tracks seeing the potential of "MIDGET RACING" that is just a little off the Professional high dollar racer. I am all for putting all of these Midget size cars together and racing them. I might be just a little more selective than Harold but not much. In the end the good will win out and the bad will disappear. That is competition, but first we need enough cars to compete. I am sorry that you have to sit at home for the February race>BUT if it does work out we are going to start working on those second tier Midget also.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/29/15 at 5:05 PM.

1/29/15, 5:09 PM   #26
spartandawg20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
ernart

I guess my question should have been where do you race? If I did not think it would open up a can of worms I would invite you down to race a Du Quoin. I would bet you and I are closer to being in the same boat than you might like. I love Racing>>> Midget racing in particular. I don't think that you or I are planning to race with the real Midgets any time soon. By that I mean the TRO's and MoPars and Big head Esslingers are not on my immediate have to get list. What I am saying is that top rung type of race car is not for everyone. But because my motor does not cost as much as my first house it doesn't mean that I can not nor should not be able to enjoy Midget racing.

Midgets can be for Saturday night racers also and not require a $3000.00 investment to travel to some distant track to race for an enormous purse that actually would not even cover the cost of the travel expense alone.

I don't know where you live but Montpelier is almost 4 hours away for me and I love the idea of going up there to race. If a track was to start a Midget division such as Harold has an hour away from home that would be wonderful.

Because I want this possibility of other tracks seeing the potential of "MIDGET RACING" that is just a little off the Professional high dollar racer. I am all for putting all of these Midget size cars together and racing them. I might be just a little more selective than Harold but not much. In the end the good will win out and the bad will disappear. That is competition, but first we need enough cars to compete. I am sorry that you have to sit at home for the February race>BUT if it does work out we are going to start working on those second tier Midget also.

Honest Dad himself
Why are you so worried about racing "big midget teams" with your mini sprint???

I'm greatly confused.

Honest Brad Himself
Last edited by spartandawg20; 1/29/15 at 5:11 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/29/15, 5:13 PM   #27
Chase Briscoe

I personally think sim racing is great for real life racing for multiple reasons... For one it gets young fans involved and gives them an interest in dirt racing. It gives them an opportunity for a very cheap price to race against real drivers (Kyle Larson, Chris Bell, Rico Abreu, Jay Drake, Kevin Swindell, and many more), on real tracks, and win real money. It lets real life drivers a chance to practice, race in the off-season, interact with fans, see tracks they have never been to, and much more. It gives people who maybe want to give racing a shot but don't have the funding to or do not want to take the chance to get hurt an opportunity to run wheel to wheel with their favorite driver or the next up and comer. When we can get young fans wanting to go meet the people they race with online at there local race track or go see what midget or sprint car racing is all about and it gets them in the stands then I am all for it! Last nights "Sim" Chili Bowl drew a lot of interest Tony Stewart, Kyle Larson, Bryan Clauson, Chris Windom, Keith Kunz, SPEED SPORT, and many many more were watching and many were tweeting about it. I know at one point it had over 400 viewers which is considered a good night I have heard for real life dirt streams.

First off I agree with others that this race shouldn't be advertised as a "midget" race because they are definitely not the same type of "midget" that raced there a few weeks ago. I have driven the 1000cc mini sprint and a midget this past year and they are two totally different animals for sure. I have nothing against the mini-sprint/lightning sprint I am actually running one at Duquoin next weekend and looking forward to it and think the cars are very fun and racy. But to say these cars would compete for wins together in my opinion wouldn't happen, I could be wrong, I do not know. I think each are great classes but are two totally separate things and should stay two totally separate things.

-Chase Briscoe

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/29/15, 5:14 PM   #28
ernart3

I have a $15000 midget motor and we run with "national" midgets all the time.

1/29/15, 5:22 PM   #29
microsprint15

I have to agree with ernart3 on everything. I made a similar post in the thread about the trophy's.

In the easiest of words, the "Midget" race at DuQuoin is allowing every type of car EXCEPT what is nationally know as an actual Midget.

I don't get it...and I still say the casual "Midget" fan will be pissed when they show up to one of these events and it's actually a Mini Sprint/Focus race.

6 members like this post: Chase Briscoe, opnwhlmnd, RickyBobby, Sandy Lowe, sprint72, TQ97
1/29/15, 5:30 PM   #30
DAD

Chase

I tried that link. The view I got was confusing. Is their also one from the drivers seat perspective. You kids were raised around computers and computer games. As close as I got was Pin Ball. I guess you guys raced all night long right? That announcer sounded like he was from down under so I would assume the race was world wide.

As far as Mini Sprints EchoTecs etc. They are all based of of a standard Midget chassis. Sprints have classes right, they all share the same basic chassis but from there on they may be very different animals. They start out at 305's when I was coming up 302 sprints were the hot set up and some great drivers raced them, however the tires in those days were also very different.

Would having different classes for Midgets be too far off base?

Right now the way most rules are written we exclude one another from racing against one another. Like segregation once divided people in the past. What I wish would happen is that we racers would release all of these restrictive rules and allow all of these Midget chassis Based cars to race under the term MIDGET in perhaps several classes.

Honest Dad himself.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th