IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th
1/27/15, 10:09 PM   #11
Re: Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th
DAD

Jay

Have we checked on push vehicles?
Do we have any volunteers?
What if we had a race and no push trucks showed up?
This stuff is new, and the Devil is in the details.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/27/15 at 10:11 PM.

1/27/15, 10:21 PM   #12
Avon Open Wheel fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Jay

Have we checked on push vehicles?
Do we have any volunteers?
What if we had a race and no push trucks showed up?
This stuff is new, and the Devil is in the details.
t
Honest Dad himself

I have talked with Steve about this. We will probably seek a few volunteers for push trucks. Not sure on how many yet we will not need too many. He will provide pit passes to them. If anyone on here has experience at other tracks and would like to come down to help please send me a PM.

We have also been working on obtaining a couple of tow trucks.

Of course if anyone would like to help sponsor this event or provide prizes to the drivers or fans please let me know. All sponsor and prizes will go 100% directly to the drivers and be in addition to the purse of this race.

Lastly if there is any photographers and or video crews wanting to attend this race please send me a PM so we can set things up ahead of time.

1/28/15, 1:34 AM   #13
PatrickMead#13

Going to roll out Friday. Is there a place Friday to meet up for dinner and bench race? Just curious...... Lol Thanks

1/28/15, 10:17 AM   #14
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickMead#13 View Post
Going to roll out Friday. Is there a place Friday to meet up for dinner and bench race? Just curious...... Lol Thanks
Pat

There is a Pizza Hut right in down town Du Quoin, there are also a few good BBQ places. Probably more room at the Pizza place.

Honest Dad himself

1/28/15, 6:28 PM   #15
Avon Open Wheel fan

There is also.a couple of motels in Du Quoin. Last I.checked they still had rooms. Marion.and Carbondale are also Good choices for Motels and places to.eat At.

1/28/15, 6:38 PM   #16
DAD

Quote:
Mile

It has taken a long time but I think we are coming to grips with what kind of a race car we really are. We are Midgets and the action can be as good or better than many National Midgets events.

If they do a good job prepping the track and I for sure know they can do that it should be one pretty darned good race.

Below is the A main from the Echotec at Shootout in Tulsa. Because of the newness of the class I do not think they had a full field. With the combination of Focus, Echotec, Kenyon and 1200cc powered midgets we hope to have a full field and some really competitive racing. These cars are very close in performance and I think the outcome is up in the air. We also dug a little deeper and found the A main for the 1200cc cars.

Honest Dad himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvyR0pNxkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qfPKblcU8

Midget Chili Bowl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xaFRbmONbs
I was fiddling around at work today I got out my trusty $14.95 at&t flip phone. I set it to stop watch and I clocked the leaders in each of the above races. You should try this and see just how much more you get for another $25,000.00 in engine expense.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/28/15 at 10:47 PM.

1/28/15, 11:16 PM   #17
ernart3

So can I bring my midget to duquoin? If there isn't any difference then why not?

3 members like this post: DAD, microsprint15, RickyBobby
1/29/15, 4:27 AM   #18
DAD

ernart

The difference figures out to be about .5 to .6 seconds on a 1/4 mile track, and that was Sammy's and Bryan's times. That wouldn't be the same on a 1/2 mile or a pavement track. On the bigger tracks or the ones where the driver can hook all that extra Horsepower the National Motors would have a big advantage. On the 1/4 mile dirt tracks even the stock block or 1000cc cars can't use all of the Horsepower power on hand. That tends to even things out just a little. I would love to have some of the older Midgets race with us, (most of the other racers right now would not) as long as the track is small enough there is not that big of an advantage with another 100 horsepower.

There used to be a saying that on a 1/20 the mile track the 1/4 midget was the fastest thing out their. On a 1/10 up to 1/5 mile track the 600cc Micros are King, but when the track gets bigger and rougher them little tires just can't seem to get a grip and they fall off rappidly. They tryed putting 1000cc motors on sidewinders up in New York several years ago. the problem was all that extra power just went up in smoke.

When you move up in status to National Midgets the top Drivers also change things a great deal. There are a very few of them that have the God given talent to be able stay on top of a very high performance race car. They are the guys racing out front and then moving on and up to more lucrative although less enjoyable duties.

Keep the Midgets on the smaller Bull Rings 3/8th mile down to 1/5th mile. The racing will be much closer and intense. There will probably be more contact with other cars, but the crowds will love it. If they love it they might go back and tell their friends. Most of them will not be astute race fans and will not appreciate a well executed slide job, or running that right rear up against the cushion but come to think of it at one point in time USAC didn't see the beauty in them slide jobs either. Ask Steve Butler about USAC's feelings on slide jobs.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/29/15 at 10:00 AM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
1/29/15, 5:16 AM   #19
spartandawg20

Quote:
ernart

The difference figures out to be about .5 to .6 seconds on a 1/4 mile track, and that was Sammy's and Bryan's times. That wouldn't be the same on a 1/2 mile or a pavement track. On the bigger tracks or the ones where the driver can hook all that extra Horsepower the National Motors would have a big advantage. On the 1/4 mile dirt tracks even the stock block or 1000cc cars can't use all of the Horsepower power on hand. That tends to even things out just a little. I would love to have some of the older Midgets race with us, (most of the other racers right now would not) as long as the track is small enough there is not that big of an advantage with another 100 horsepower.

There used to be a saying that on a 1/20 the mile track the 1/4 midget was the fastest thing out their. On a 1/10 up to 1/5 mile track the 600cc Micros are King, but when the track gets bigger and rougher them little tires just can't seem to get a grip and they fall off rappidly. They tryed putting 1000cc motors on sidewinders up in New York several years ago. the problem was all that extra power just went up in smoke.

When you move up in status to National Midgets the top Drivers also change things a great deal. There are a very few of them that have the God given talent to be able stay on top of a very high performance race car. They are the guys racing out front.

Keep Midgets on the smaller Bull Rings 3/8th mile down to 1/5th mile. The racing will be much closer and intense. There will probably be more contact with other cars, but the crowds will love it. If they love it they might go back and tell their friends. Most of them will not be astute race fans and will not appreciate a well executed slide job, or running that right rear up against the cushion but come to think of it at one point in time USAC didn't see the beauty in them slide jobs either. Ask Steve Butler about USAC's feelings on slide jobs.

Honest Dad himself
Go home you're drunk........

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/29/15, 11:26 AM   #20
DAD

Spartan

I guess you were up to the early hours SIM Racing last night. I clicked on the link Chase provided but I did not get much out of the action, and it put me to sleep. It is however the first time that I ever watched a car nerf another car in the rear bumper and disappear inside the other car.

Maybe you guys could plug some numbers in your algorithm and allow stock block and 1000cc cars to race also and see how they compete in the cyber world?

My problem isn't really drinking any more, I used to be pretty good at it but it got to where I had my hangovers before I went to bed so I gave it up. My reason for posting at 3 AM in the morning is something called Sleep Apnea. That means I sleep hooked up to a supercharger. Well it has been harder to sleep lately so I went in for an evaluation and the guy upped my pressure 1" of water. Now my face mask "Farts" all night long and I can't sleep with all that darned farting going on.

I did a little more figuring and it looks like the National Midget front runners have about a 6% advantage over the stock block Midgets on a 1/4 mile track, that figures out about $3333.00 for every percentage point gain in lap time. Don't forget these are the best of the best drivers turning these times in the National Midgets, and the guys in the stock blocks are armatures.

Just like the "World of Outlaws" expect to pay more at the gate to watch a "National Midgets" race.

Racing is expensive>

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/29/15 at 1:01 PM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th