IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th
1/26/15, 5:29 PM   #1
Avon Open Wheel fan

Just a reminder to all drivers and fans that on February 7th at the Southern Illinois Center in DuQuoin, IL will be hosting a Midget and Lightning Sprint Race. This is a non sanctioned event. The rules are posted in previous post but if you have any questions please send.me a PM and I Can send you A copy.

Pits and sign up will open up at 9am
Spectator gate will open at 2:30
Practice is at 3pm with heat races to follow

Spectators 5 years and under is free/ 6 yrs and older is $15
Pit Passes are $20

So far I have drivers from at least 8 different midget and lightning sprint series coming from all over the midwest.

www.illinimidgets.com
Last edited by Avon Open Wheel fan; 1/26/15 at 5:35 PM.

1/26/15, 5:40 PM   #2
Re: Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th
Avon Open Wheel fan

These are the rules for the Midgets.

To keep things simple to tec and to understand the following rules will apply to the Midget shaft drive cars.

1. Frame must meet minimum requirements for the race.
2. The tire wheel rule shall be open to all competitors. 13" wheels only.
3. Minimum weight for shaft drive cars shall be 1100 pounds with car and driver at the completion of the race.
4. Motor inspection will require the removal of 4 spark plugs and air filters.
...a. With a bore scope we will inspect ports for ANY AND ALL signs machine work or grinding we will expect to see casting marks in the ports. Cars with plenum injection may be exempt if we can not view ports from the throttle body. Their Throttle bodies will be checked for stock configuration and size.
...b. Focus powered cars get a pass on this (porting is allowed).
...c. Kenyon Midgets will more or less be racing under the same rules as stock block shaft drive race cars.
...d. IRS racers will not have to race with restrictors designated by their club the USAC Honda racers will be expected to have the proper sized restrictor in place. (help me out here guys???) our intent is to keep it simple.
...e. The minimum weight for a 600cc powered upright Midget will be 800 pounds car and driver at the end of race.

If any of you guys with the IRS want to come down and race we will sure try and find some nice used (already been tested tires) for the back of your race cars free of charge. Just let us know, much better than throwing them out going down the road.

www.illinimidgets.com

1/26/15, 9:03 PM   #3
Avon Open Wheel fan

I know we may not have lots of part trucks or suppliers at this race so I wanted to offer everyone the following offer.

If any of the teams that will be racing at DuQuoin on February are needing any racing items or parts delivered at the race please let me know. I live very close to several racing shops and stores around the Brownsburg, Avon, or west side of Indy. If it is small enough to fit in my minivan I can bring it down for you. Just send me a PM and we can make the arrangements for me to pick up and bring it down. Might save you a few dollars of shipping cost.

www.illinimidgets.com

1/27/15, 9:04 AM   #4
miledirt

So these are not like the same cars that run Powri or USAC midgets, right?

Just want to make sure I understand what class/series is running on the 7th

1/27/15, 9:49 AM   #5
Avon Open Wheel fan

They are midgets Just not the POWRI or USAC engines. Some of the same drivers and or cars that raced at the ChiliBowl will be at this race.

www.illinimidgets.com

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/27/15, 9:55 AM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon Open Wheel fan View Post
They are midgets Just not the POWRI or USAC engines. Some of the same drivers and or cars that raced at the ChiliBowl will be at this race.
Mile

It has taken a long time but I think we are coming to grips with what kind of a race car we really are. We are Midgets and the action can be as good or better than many National Midgets events.

If they do a good job prepping the track and I for sure know they can do that it should be one pretty darned good race.

Below is the A main from the Echotec at Shootout in Tulsa. Because of the newness of the class I do not think they had a full field. With the combination of Focus, Echotec, Kenyon and 1200cc powered midgets we hope to have a full field and some really competitive racing. These cars are very close in performance and I think the outcome is up in the air. We also dug a little deeper and found the A main for the 1200cc cars.

Honest Dad himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvyR0pNxkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qfPKblcU8

Midget Chili Bowl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xaFRbmONbs
Last edited by DAD; 1/28/15 at 6:35 PM.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, mc/rider
1/27/15, 10:42 AM   #7
miledirt

Thanks Dad!

1/27/15, 11:03 AM   #8
red70racer

Jay
I'm sure it's posted somewhere. What is the total show? How many classes besides the midget's? Feature length?
We have a bunch of fans following us down, many first time dirt track fans. I would like to tell them what to expect.
If this has been covered I haven't seen it
Thanks
Jeff Palazzolo

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD
1/27/15, 11:12 AM   #9
DAD

Jeff

The Junior Sprints are worth the price of admission.

http://stevenaceracing.com/picts/Sprints%20classes.pdf
http://stevenaceracing.com/

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/27/15 at 11:19 AM.

1 member likes this post: red70racer
1/27/15, 11:20 AM   #10
Avon Open Wheel fan

Red,

The format could change some for the midgets but right now the plan is to have 10 lap heat races with a 15 lap B main and then a 25 Lap Feature. The number of heats and B mains will depend on the car count. Right now the way it is looking I would guess at least 4 heat races and one or two B mains. I am still getting lots of drivers contacting me each day. We have drivers out of 8 different series coming so far from about every state in the Midwest.

The classes are midgets, then the 600cc Side Winders with and without wings. Last time in November I think they had around 30-35 of the 600cc cars so there should be a very strong car count again.

Then the Wing Junior Sprints. Last November they also brought a strong field of cars and put on a great show. These kids are really fun to watch and it looked like they was having a great time racing.

www.illinimidgets.com
Last edited by Avon Open Wheel fan; 1/27/15 at 11:21 AM.

2 members like this post: DAD, red70racer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets at Southern Illinois Center Feb 7th