IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New tracks in phoenix!
11/26/10, 8:31 PM   #31
Re: New tracks in phoenix!
SpfldMile

I hope the best for Phoenix. I wish Manzy and the state fair mile were still there. Scott Daloisio, how can you be a Wings fan? Go Blues!

11/26/10, 8:39 PM   #32
racinround

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
I think the key part of the statement about being built on a landfill is that it was in a "not so good" part of town. Few people want to go to races at a place they fear they might robbed on the way to, or from, the track.

Many things have been built on landfills, including the southern tip of Manhatten. All of the debris from the World Trade Center was landfilled and new expensive high rises built on it. Before that, the southern tip was filled in for several decades in the 1700s and 1800s. Interesting to look at an accurate map of it then and now. It's happened in many places.

As far as the track, I just hope they don't bite off more financially than they can chew and wind up like the X-Plex, or Gateway International. Do it like Baltes did Eldora -- a little bit at a time.
This place has never been a landfill.

11/26/10, 8:52 PM   #33
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpfldMile View Post
I hope the best for Phoenix. I wish Manzy and the state fair mile were still there. Scott Daloisio, how can you be a Wings fan? Go Blues!
Born and raised in Detroit. Better question would probably be, how could I be a Lions fan? Sometimes I have a real hard time answering that one or even figuring out why.

11/26/10, 9:36 PM   #34
USAC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
I think the key part of the statement about being built on a landfill is that it was in a "not so good" part of town. Few people want to go to races at a place they fear they might robbed on the way to, or from, the track.
Why not? People went to Manzanita.

11/27/10, 9:37 AM   #35
bigmojo5

My landfill reference was to this portion of an earlier post

"The "new group" is trying to get the city of Phoenix to let them build their new facility on city owned land, which happens to be a land fill, in a not so great part of town."

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC Fan View Post
Why not? People went to Manzanita.
Manzy was unique. It still doesn't change the fact that many people do not want to go places where they don't feel safe.

11/27/10, 4:13 PM   #36
cshuman

Yea, it is a landfill, and there are many proposed ideas for the site, one being a racetrack, one being a indoors snow ski facility. Like I said, not sure if, or when either track will be built. I just know it will be nice to have racing back to what it was around phoenix. I know the track in mesa/gateway area, if built, will be the nicest facility you have ever seen..
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: IndyBound, jerrydt
11/27/10, 4:20 PM   #37
bojo20

I won't believe a thing until I see the first green flag wave Sorry

11/27/10, 4:27 PM   #38
racinround

Casey, are you saying that ET is a landfill?

11/27/10, 7:25 PM   #39
cshuman

No, I was speaking of the site in phoenix, not far from manzy, have heard very little about ET... and like I said Bojo, I don't know IF either will ever happen, I just know there are people on both sides trying hard to make it happen.. and I've seen plans for one that is a amazing concept.. time will tell boys
Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, IndyBound, jerrydt
11/28/10, 6:34 PM   #40
PittDude

Sweeet
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New tracks in phoenix!