IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Standing Room Only
4/24/22, 3:01 PM   #1
Standing Room Only
flagboy55

Kinda hard to believe that the last 3 races in Indiana that could fit into this category are Outlaw races. I have some thoughts but I’m interested in hearing yours.

4/24/22, 3:36 PM   #2
Re: Standing Room Only
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Glad its not July

3 members like this post: Dirt Track Cowboy, Sprints fan 11, tirespinner
4/24/22, 4:02 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

I think the main reason is you can't see them all the time. Early in the year helps. It was the first real nice weekend of the year. The only other time they are in Indiana is Memorial Day at Lawrenceburg. Not many chances for someone in Southwest Indiana to see them. That also helps when it comes to them selling merchandise.
I am sure there were people there who won't go to another dirt track this year. I sat by a guy at Kokomo a few years ago at the Outlaw race. Lived 3 miles north of the track. Said he hadn't been there in 10 years. He also told me he usually only goes to one race a year, the King's Royal. They do a good job of drawing people who normally don't go to the races. Yes, it was a very good race. Most of their features are, especially once they get in lapped traffic.

4/24/22, 4:49 PM   #4
openwheelfan1

I’ve been going to Tri-State Speedway for a lot of years, and that may have been the largest crowd I’ve seen there. We were at Volusia in February for the opening 3 races of the Outlaw season, and the crowds down there for all three nights were also huge. There seems to be a lot of hype and interest in the Outlaws right now both at the fan level and corporate level. Will be interesting to see if the interest continues throughout the season.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, PIT CART, tirespinner
4/24/22, 7:36 PM   #5
BigWheel7

Race Count This Year: 2

Sprint Week is the only race that brings in more people than the WoO at Haubstadt. I’ve had to park in the farmers field to the north of the track for Sprint Week. Great crowd and great feature. The top 5 running guys paid for admission alone during the feature.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, oppweld, PIT CART, tirespinner
4/24/22, 7:57 PM   #6
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I think the main reason is you can't see them all the time. Early in the year helps. It was the first real nice weekend of the year. The only other time they are in Indiana is Memorial Day at Lawrenceburg. Not many chances for someone in Southwest Indiana to see them. That also helps when it comes to them selling merchandise.
I am sure there were people there who won't go to another dirt track this year. I sat by a guy at Kokomo a few years ago at the Outlaw race. Lived 3 miles north of the track. Said he hadn't been there in 10 years. He also told me he usually only goes to one race a year, the King's Royal. They do a good job of drawing people who normally don't go to the races. Yes, it was a very good race. Most of their features are, especially once they get in lapped traffic.
Wouldn't be surprised if the WoO makes a fall appearance in Western IN.this year.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

4/25/22, 11:22 AM   #7
dsc1600

The crowds seem to be getting bigger for sure. Good weather helps.

As much as I like winged racing, I do agree it's the Outlaws and the rarity of them racing in the area that makes it go. The All Stars tried last year to make a dent in Indiana and it didn't work. Same with Circle City trying to make weekly (or a few times a month) winged racing work last year.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dirt Track Cowboy, flagboy55
4/25/22, 11:47 AM   #8
Midget98

All things equal, I would almost always rather attend a non-wing sprint event, but I believe this all comes down to promotion. I don't just mean advertising, posting all over Facebook, and that sort of thing, but actual promotion including all of the hype, pageantry, and PT Barnum style buildup that comes with the World of Outlaws. There is a huge difference in the style of event that the WoO holds in comparison to groups like USAC or even other winged groups like the All Stars. To me, it is much like the difference between going to a minor league or AAA baseball stadium where you can see a very high level of play/players and going to a major league ballpark where the game is virtually identical, but everything else is bigger than life. The WoO promotes their events in such a way that people are afraid of missing out on something if they don't attend. Also, popularity tends to breed more attendance. Sociologically, people want to be involved in events that lots of other people are attending. The actual on-track racing doesn't need to be superior to other events as long as the other aspects of the event make it seem like a spectacle, not just a race.

4/25/22, 1:16 PM   #9
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
All things equal, I would almost always rather attend a non-wing sprint event, but I believe this all comes down to promotion. I don't just mean advertising, posting all over Facebook, and that sort of thing, but actual promotion including all of the hype, pageantry, and PT Barnum style buildup that comes with the World of Outlaws. There is a huge difference in the style of event that the WoO holds in comparison to groups like USAC or even other winged groups like the All Stars. To me, it is much like the difference between going to a minor league or AAA baseball stadium where you can see a very high level of play/players and going to a major league ballpark where the game is virtually identical, but everything else is bigger than life. The WoO promotes their events in such a way that people are afraid of missing out on something if they don't attend. Also, popularity tends to breed more attendance. Sociologically, people want to be involved in events that lots of other people are attending. The actual on-track racing doesn't need to be superior to other events as long as the other aspects of the event make it seem like a spectacle, not just a race.
Your last two or three sentences have me questioning whether I'm a race fan or not, possibly anti social even.

2 members like this post: Dirt Track Cowboy, opnwhlmnd
4/25/22, 2:58 PM   #10
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
Sociologically, people want to be involved in events that lots of other people are attending. The actual on-track racing doesn't need to be superior to other events as long as the other aspects of the event make it seem like a spectacle, not just a race.
My psychology professor in college would give you an A.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Standing Room Only