IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > LPS MAVERICK WINGED SPRINTS & Bombers 10/6
10/4/23, 9:29 PM   #11
flagboy55

I would recommend they run the same format as USAC

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cornerthree, Stephen Cording
10/5/23, 9:15 AM   #12
Re: LPS MAVERICK WINGED SPRINTS & Bombers 10/6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I would recommend they run the same format as USAC

Why not passing points, I mean you might have one car in 40 pass somebody in the heats without cautions. Odds are better than the power ball.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
10/5/23, 1:01 PM   #13
BrentTFunk

I don't want passing points. There is a reason why groups like the ASCS no longer use them. I see more passing in USAC shows. It makes the fast guys have to pass to start up front. I wish these guys good luck. I appreciate all that Mr Newton is doing for the sport.

6 members like this post: Eatin Dirt, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, mlamb, PIT CART, Static
10/5/23, 3:27 PM   #14
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I don't want passing points. There is a reason why groups like the ASCS no longer use them. I see more passing in USAC shows. It makes the fast guys have to pass to start up front. I wish these guys good luck. I appreciate all that Mr Newton is doing for the sport.
I agree, most winged shows I see the winner of the heats comes from the pole or the front two rows, generally. Only time I see someone come from the back using passing points is if a really fast guy gets a really bad draw.

I've always liked USAC's format for the sprints, I thought it was one of the most challenging just to make the main. My only issue with the USAC format is you get your time back by making the main. I know they invert the first six but I'd like to see mains lined up by heat race finish instead, and then the B main at the back.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, PIT CART
10/5/23, 4:17 PM   #15
mlamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post

I figure Mr Newton or whoever ponies up the funding for this series. I’ll accept what format they want. And appreciate someone that is involved in racing. As tracks are closing and sponsors leaving and getting harder to come by, I applaud you Kevin Newton.

10/5/23, 5:06 PM   #16
kb78

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
I agree, most winged shows I see the winner of the heats comes from the pole or the front two rows, generally. Only time I see someone come from the back using passing points is if a really fast guy gets a really bad draw.

I've always liked USAC's format for the sprints, I thought it was one of the most challenging just to make the main. My only issue with the USAC format is you get your time back by making the main. I know they invert the first six but I'd like to see mains lined up by heat race finish instead, and then the B main at the back.
So your gonna ask the quick qualifier to start 6th in his heat and then let whoever wins the heat start up front in the feature? Sounds like a format for interesting sandbagging in qualifying to me. Look at the Hustler this year, you have one of the best qualify 15th in the field and his reward is to start on the pole of his heat and because of that he started on the pole of the feature. He qualified poorly and then never had to pass a car to win the thing.
Now I'm not suggesting that Bacon sandbagged and Lord knows that he is good enough to have come through the crowd if he needed, but if you are going to reward midpack qualifiers in that format then the race will be on to time in 20th place every night. Just like the King's Royal.

No format is going to be perfect but I like what USAC does, it promotes the driver to go hard everytime he is on the track. JMO.

5 members like this post: 2fast4u, BrentTFunk, flagboy55, oppweld, Tall Jackson
10/5/23, 5:55 PM   #17
DaleDuBois

Back in the day you drew a number for your heats and if you drew a big number you had to race hard to make the feature. Then along came USAC with qualifying with nothing but a stopwatch for getting the times. Then later on they had a light system. The newfangled thing is a (transponder) now they can get your time within one thousandth of a second. I sort of liked the number draw for watching the races. Now the big thing is qualifying several cars doing hot laps which does speed up the show. But then this don't always work as a slow car sometime gets in the way of a fast car.

10/5/23, 7:52 PM   #18
Lincoln Park Speedway

Trophy for the first Maverick Winged Sprint Series Race!
Attached Images
718241276.jpg (609.5 KB, 94 views)

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, kevincrum, mlamb
10/6/23, 10:50 AM   #19
JJMooney

Add two more drivers confirmed for tonight: T-Mez (driving Don Whitney’s No. 00) and Missouri's Ayrton Gennetten

1 member likes this post: Luvdirtracing
10/6/23, 11:26 AM   #20
Lincoln Park Speedway

Race Day

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > LPS MAVERICK WINGED SPRINTS & Bombers 10/6