IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown Takeaways
8/30/21, 11:49 AM   #21
reeserx

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
Made all four days. I know I will catch it from some but I wish they would have run Thursday late into the night instead of that scorcher Saturday afternoon. Or started earlier on Saturday. We almost stayed in our room to watch quals Saturday but came to our senses being 10 minutes away. No live feed can catch the experience of being there. Those 4 days always fly by for me. Great time and great racing. I will be back for #11 next year.
I’m not sure if you were at the track yet when the monsoon hit around 6:00, but there was no chance of running. The front gates were completely flooded. Pits were a mud pit and the main gravel drive was flooded. Definitely wish it could have been ran later on that night because Saturday was miserable heat. I had so much dust accumulated on me from those two shows when I got home!

3 members like this post: duel, mc/rider, tirespinner
8/30/21, 12:28 PM   #22
Re: Smackdown Takeaways
duel

I was there. The second round kinda sealed it. I also remember people up late into the night with no rain. I guess I got spoiled the year they were pumping all the water out and ran.

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, PIT CART, reeserx, tirespinner
8/30/21, 2:30 PM   #23
reeserx

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
I was there. The second round kinda sealed it. I also remember people up late into the night with no rain. I guess I got spoiled the year they were pumping all the water out and ran.
They were pumping it out to the road but it wasn’t enough. That’s what that propane tank is for near the front entrance.

2 members like this post: duel, tirespinner
8/30/21, 3:00 PM   #24
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The track ignores the local community and the local community pretty much ignores the track. It's been that way since the current owners took over. The track brought in a local ex-sprint car driver a couple years ago I guess in a minor attempt to bridge that gap. I really don't think they were sincere in their efforts. The ex-local driver was sincere but the track wasn't. Plus there are hardly any local racers any more. Why would you build a race car to race maybe 4 or 5 times per year at the track if that?
So the once a month and sometimes once a week meetings with the Mayor and city administration are just rumors ?? even through my wife sat in everyone of the meetings plus Jill her family Levi and the crew from USAC made the long drive to sit and discuss the racing at the Kokomo Speedway, none of that happened the last three years??????????????
I guess the support this administration has shown during a very difficult time due to the virus, plus first year in office for our Mayor and his family that for the record you can find in the pits, infield or stands because they love racing of all kinds just isn't happening ?? sure Tyler may have missed this weekend but moving three of your kids into college plus the other pressing issues from the city may have took some time away from his visit to the speedway this weekend.

I guess the support coming from the city directly to the Kokomo Speedway in the near future wont be enough either ?? I guess the city administration should just send the money to the big track in Indianapolis like has happened so many years before. I guess I just don't understand how all these people bust their asses only to have some say it never happened. And for the record the Oconners have given Josh and Shannon open book on whatever they want to do and have bent over backwards to make sure the good people of Kokomo feel welcome at Our hometown track.

I just hope when the gates at the Speedway close for the last time people can honestly say I did everything possible to help it survive.

Thanks to everyone that came out this past week to support the speedway local restarants and Hotels as if you told most of the people running these fine Kokomo establishments they gave discounts to the people supporting the Track.

Thank you all for the feedback as I'm sure its being looked at, or maybe not what the hell do I know

Jerry Spencer #66j
Last edited by Jerry Spencer; 8/30/21 at 3:05 PM.

8/30/21, 3:40 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Wasn't there but I'll say this, Those that were Saturday both fan and crews are absolute badasses. I went to local county fairgrounds for three hours to watch some vintage cars and bikes run the horse track and ended up leaving due to heat exhaustion. Usually you show up with a car somewhat ready. Make some adjustments but barring major damage you change a tire or what not. Full turn around in two hours. Yeah, bet them guys were beat.

Someone one around the cameraman or the cameraman about passed out when the big wreck happened.

Dibs to all that made it happen.

Chuck, wondering what some of the talking heads will find wrong in this post.

3 members like this post: oppweld, PJ Wright, rapid robert
8/30/21, 5:26 PM   #26
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post

Thank you all for the feedback as I'm sure its being looked at, or maybe not what the hell do I know

Jerry Spencer #66j
Thank you for weighing in, Josh & Jerry. I hope my original post bringing up this observation was not taken as a knock on KS, the O’Connors and staff, Josh & Shannon, nor current political personnel. My personal view is a smaller government is a better government and i don’t want them involved in my business, but i digress.

I brought it up from the standpoint of how many other businesses are consistently bringing in out of state money into the community? Pre-Covid that thought included out of USA money! It may be my bias for all things sprint car but it surprises me businesses themselves aren’t ringing Josh and Shannon’s phone and inbox desperately trying to find away to tap into the revenue stream.

Even powerhouse Starbucks: people from out of town stop there for coffee but how many traveled specifically to that exact SB location to get it? None.
Kokomo Speedway provides the exact opposite to the community. Their reputation and brand of racing consistently brings people from multiple states specifically to the community to be a part of it. Since the impossible work of getting them into town is already accomplished, it baffles me why even more businesses aren’t making more of the opportunity at hand.

Again, if my post came across as a shot at KS or the businesses that already support the greatest sport on the world, i genuinely apologize.
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 8/30/21 at 5:52 PM.

8/30/21, 8:09 PM   #27
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Spencer View Post
Hey Russ, just wanted to clarify somethings. First of all the O’Connor’s have busted their butts to make the Kokomo Speedway one of the best track in the world! Yes, my wife and I help the speedway out because we live in Kokomo and I love the Kokomo Speedway. Here are a few things the Kokomo Speedway is involved with in our city to promote the track.

They are a member of the Kokomo Chamber of Commerce, which almost every business is involved with and all of these businesses work together to discuss events each other is having, so all of the hotels in town should know what’s going on at the track because they meet once a month.

They attend all of the events in Kokomo to promote the track such as, Jack Rabbits games, car shows, Haynes Apperson Festival and parade, and many more.

They advertise on all of the local radio stations and the track is also discussed on WWKI Mail Call program which is on Mon.-Fri. 9:30-1030. WWKI was also live at the track on Thursday night at the Smackdown.

They advertise in all of the local papers. Which are on their Calendar of events in the Perspective on Wednesday. Also in the calendar of events on Fridays of the Kokomo Tribune.

They are on all of the Social Media outlets, but Instagram.

Before COVID-19 we were in all of the local schools and colleges spreading the word snd even have discounts for students.

Believe me they are working very hard with the City of Kokomo and promote A LOT through the city!! Hope this clears up any confusion. Also if there are any suggestions for them to do better let me know or the ladies at the front, so we can better our program!

Thanks, Josh Spencer
I want to publicly thank Mr.Josh Spencer for his assistance/guidance. As I have noted, we were newbies to the Smackdown. A while back I posted on here about places to stay, places to eat, etc. in Kokomo. Josh was kind enough to respond to me with multiple recommendations and his feedback was entirely spot on. He was/is a great ambassador for Kokomo Speedway and the city of Kokomo.

8/30/21, 8:37 PM   #28
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Spencer View Post
Hey Russ, just wanted to clarify somethings. First of all the O’Connor’s have busted their butts to make the Kokomo Speedway one of the best track in the world! Yes, my wife and I help the speedway out because we live in Kokomo and I love the Kokomo Speedway. Here are a few things the Kokomo Speedway is involved with in our city to promote the track.

They are a member of the Kokomo Chamber of Commerce, which almost every business is involved with and all of these businesses work together to discuss events each other is having, so all of the hotels in town should know what’s going on at the track because they meet once a month.

They attend all of the events in Kokomo to promote the track such as, Jack Rabbits games, car shows, Haynes Apperson Festival and parade, and many more.

They advertise on all of the local radio stations and the track is also discussed on WWKI Mail Call program which is on Mon.-Fri. 9:30-1030. WWKI was also live at the track on Thursday night at the Smackdown.

They advertise in all of the local papers. Which are on their Calendar of events in the Perspective on Wednesday. Also in the calendar of events on Fridays of the Kokomo Tribune.

They are on all of the Social Media outlets, but Instagram.

Before COVID-19 we were in all of the local schools and colleges spreading the word snd even have discounts for students.

Believe me they are working very hard with the City of Kokomo and promote A LOT through the city!! Hope this clears up any confusion. Also if there are any suggestions for them to do better let me know or the ladies at the front, so we can better our program!

Thanks, Josh Spencer
Being part of the Chamber of Commerce or attending a Jack Rabbits game is not going to bring the local race fan, casual fan or local racer back to the track.

I can appreciate the efforts they have made in improving the old place. The catch fence, lighting, the area in front of the main grandstand and the back stretch grandstand were much needed improvements.

For whatever reason the track has made the decision to pretty much be a big show track. And that's cool....it's their track. Believe me, this has been pointed out to dozens of us by the owner of the place. But they have priced the casual fan out of attending. A family of 4 or 5 can not afford the price of admission. Not to mention the additional cost of food or drinks.

The local racer can no longer justify the cost of building a car to race there because they only get included in a few shows a year. Thunder Car, Street Stock, Modified, Hornet or even lower budget Sprint Car teams have found alternative places to race. And their family and friends have went with them.

I know you love the Kokomo Speedway and I can relate to that. For almost 50 years I was the biggest fan the place ever had. I would start checking the weather forecast for Sunday on Monday morning. The treatment I have witnessed of some local racers and fans at the place has changed my feelings.

2 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Shawn Harper
8/30/21, 9:17 PM   #29
Tumey's 55

I moved to Kokomo in the late 90’s. Shortly after, the track was sold a couple of times and the new owners did their level best to ruin things. Moving races to Saturday, few cars showing up, bad track prep, etc. The O’Connors bought the track and saved the Speedway. The improvements came right away and great racing became the norm. I don’t know why they moved away from weekly racing but suspect it is because they can make money, and keep the track open, by having big races. It is hard to draw crowds on Sunday nights week after week. In my experience, after sprint week the crowds and car count dwindled. I no longer live in Kokomo but am glad the track is still operating and it is because of the O’Connors. Be careful what you wish for.

4 members like this post: duel, oppweld, rimrider69, tirespinner
8/30/21, 9:21 PM   #30
Josh Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Being part of the Chamber of Commerce or attending a Jack Rabbits game is not going to bring the local race fan, casual fan or local racer back to the track.

I can appreciate the efforts they have made in improving the old place. The catch fence, lighting, the area in front of the main grandstand and the back stretch grandstand were much needed improvements.

For whatever reason the track has made the decision to pretty much be a big show track. And that's cool....it's their track. Believe me, this has been pointed out to dozens of us by the owner of the place. But they have priced the casual fan out of attending. A family of 4 or 5 can not afford the price of admission. Not to mention the additional cost of food or drinks.

The local racer can no longer justify the cost of building a car to race there because they only get included in a few shows a year. Thunder Car, Street Stock, Modified, Hornet or even lower budget Sprint Car teams have found alternative places to race. And their family and friends have went with them.

I know you love the Kokomo Speedway and I can relate to that. For almost 50 years I was the biggest fan the place ever had. I would start checking the weather forecast for Sunday on Monday morning. The treatment I have witnessed of some local racers and fans at the place has changed my feelings.
Ok so I understand now, I was under the impression that we were not promoting good or they weren’t doing their job, but you just don’t like their schedule. I get it now, well I’m glad we have them as owners and they run something through the year, could be leveled and something built on it. Or **** maybe you can buy it and see unfortunately that local races do not bring in the money that special shows do.

Josh Spencer

3 members like this post: oppweld, rapid robert, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown Takeaways