IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Costs of running a sprint vs midget
7/29/11, 10:58 AM   #11
Re: Costs of running a sprint vs midget
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im not sure of actual cost involved. But I would say if your not going the ALL NEW route, There absolutely has to be a lot more sprint parts out there available. IN the last couple years whole teams have sold off what could be considered cheap. Theres also good used high end equiptment (Refreshened) out there. Wheels, rear ends, Front axels ect.

Not sure on the Midget. Also check into how many races you can expect to get between refresh's on the Sprint and Midget engines. Don't know for certain but I know they are really winding them midgets up and a lot of times in the sprint, You don't need all the power thats available.

Just some thoughts. IM certainly no expert

7/29/11, 11:17 AM   #12
F5 Racer

Hey man anything helps. All of that does make sense.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/29/11, 11:20 AM   #13
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5 Racer View Post
Lol. She's is my sponsor hunter. I don't think I'll survive without her. I'm not giving up quite yet. The only thing that I'm having trouble with is it seems like when I go to buy a car I they both cost around the same for desent used stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Here's the main thing I've noticed over the years, shopping for good used parts for a Midget, there is always at least 4 times the stuff available for a Sprint car, than for a Midget, which makes it less expensive, to me, it's like owning a business, it's how many time can you sell an item, and keep it rolling, if an item sits too long on a shelf, you might have been better off, stocking something that sells better, the investment, to me, in a Sprint car, has more "sales" opportunities, than a Midget, the more you can race it, and stuff something in your blue jeans to take home, the better off you'd be, the selection is larger, and more diverse, but, in the end you need to do what you feel like is best for your situation, because the number of Sprints in use is higher, the cost of the parts are less. JMHO! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/29/11 at 11:21 AM.

7/29/11, 2:59 PM   #14
F5 Racer

The Sprint is sounding better and better.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/11, 2:49 AM   #15
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I love midgets, and I would love to own one, but mostly to run the chili bowl. Bread and butter racing for me is winged 410 sprinters, and I'm doing that on a budget. My engine is more than 10 years old, and most of my tires are take offs. Once I quit crashing in the back of heats and B mains I got pretty competitive. ( Timed 3rd quick one night, and got a top 10 with an ill handling cat on used tires 2 weeks later)I bought my engine for 8k and added a 5k rebuild. The rebuild came after I knocked myself out and let the engine run wide open for 20 seconds with no driveline. You should not have that problem. The purses are a big help to me and most midget purses don't compare. So I figure if you want to make a living as a driver/owner, it has to be winged sprint's, and they can be done on a budget if the purse money is there.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/11, 5:08 AM   #16
F5 Racer

Sounds like your doing a pretty good job on a budget. Where are you from and where do you race if you don't mind me asking?
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/11, 1:43 PM   #17
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I'm in CA running with the King of the West series. I'll have to admit, I should have done some more research before I answered your question, it looks like Powri purses are comparable to Sprint purses in your area. With that being the case, it would be a really hard call for me,BUT if the goal is to race full time I still think winged sprints are the way to go. There is more money if you travel for it, and more billboard for sponsors. As far as.the.racing goes, I like all of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/11, 2:06 PM   #18
F5 Racer

Ya I was thinking about the whole sponsorship thing too. I'm leaning towards 360 s because the tracks around here are small, one track gives bonuses for racing a 360 with the 410's, and the ascs pays pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/11, 4:47 PM   #19
groove grabber

Chris, hey its Shane, I went through the same thing you are going through, and when all was said and done, I chose Powri and it has been by far the best decision i could have made. I love sprinters both wing and non wing but the fact is, I wanted a class I could be competitive in at the least cost, heres what I found:

non-wing: love them , who doesnt but the tracks that run them on a normal basis is quite a haul and felt that by the time I advanced to the level to compete with indiana regulars who have raced their (home) tracks, I would have spent a small fortune as well as alot of road time, wasnt ideal

Wing: Has to be a rush no doubt, but i have enough friends who have been wing regulars who i trust who truly convinced me that my chances of outrunning the size and quality motors of today with what i was able to afford, just wasnt happening, plus during that time no traveling show was around and it was going to be a one track year at farmington unless i wanted to be a field filler at woo events

Midgets: I chose them and heres why: The midgets are sometimes considered more expensive, by some means that is correct but by alot others I have found that when you combine everything, they can be much cheaper. I felt that the powri organization was family friendly, and most proud to have you as a member. I found that although they do consider themselves a travel series, the travel is much closer for the most part and because they run no regular midget tracks, noone really has a great advantage at any track, making my chances as a newcomer to have a good run much greater. I also found that my budget allowed me to have a car that wasnt super expensive and was still super competitive. I prob run on as little a budget as anyone if you really knew. I can say that other than the time I ran 3rd at the national race at Kemper Area and never got a paycheck(thanks Mr. Lasoski) i have never worried about not getting paid, I have heard many horror stories from both wing and non wingers in this area so that have to be a plus for powri. one more thing, when the season winds down, and wing and non wing guys best days are spent in the garage thinkin about next season, the indoor season begins and I get to race the chili bowl as well as multiple shows at duquoin, most televised where i can brag to sponsors and potential sponsors as to why i deserve there help and how real this racing is. Just call me if you have any questions man, not that those on here dont offer good advice but each area of the country is different, you best bet is to take local advice and what works the best for you and your demographic, good luck

sorry for all the grammar errors, i was in a hurry

Shane Cockrum

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Need For Speed
7/30/11, 5:08 PM   #20
F5 Racer

Hey Shane nice to hear from you. That's probably the best advice I've got the whole time. I've been meaning to get a hold of you to talk to you about it but I think you answered my questions. Best of luck to you the rest of the season, and hopefully I can get to some shows to bother you a little more. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Costs of running a sprint vs midget