IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
miledirt (Offline)
  #1 8/31/22 8:57 AM
TQ29m (Offline)
  #2 8/31/22 10:14 AM
Kinda hard to hide a junkyard. Could cover it up with money.

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Rhody (Offline)
  #3 8/31/22 10:16 AM
Looks like the same outfit is taking out both I 30 and Grandview.
4 Likes: CRA91, jdull99, luckybuc97, TQ29m
Midget98 (Offline)
  #4 8/31/22 10:30 AM
First the news of Grandview and now I-30. Both are linked to purchase offers or rezoning requests from Copart, Inc. The company must have figured out that junkyards fit well where racetracks are currently.
3 Likes: CRA91, jdull99, TQ29m
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #5 8/31/22 4:44 PM
Well you think about it. Many older racetracks had oil dumped all over it and tires burried for years. It would take six feet of soil removal to develop it for most anything else. Junkyard is turn key.

Charles Nungester
5 Likes: 3R, flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing, jdull99, SOROKACH35FAN
jdull99 (Offline)
  #6 9/3/22 1:23 AM
I've heard this from many (about "oil dumped" all over) and I'm only asking for conversation and not an argument, but, as I was born in 1981, we kinda had already got pretty far on LOTS of environment friendly stuff (much of its good, some of it is far fetched of late); BUT, I was never at a race track when people were just dumping oil and antifreeze car after car day after day onto the ground. Was that a thing like back before say the late 80s? I could only imagine people slipping and sliding if there was this much oil on the ground? Or was it more a thing where they collected it in a drum and then it went away (off to the back forest?...where the tires most likely ended up too...). Either way, I'm no expert (on anything) but I would just think a factory running 2-3 shifts a day, on a property, all year long, were the ones that really contaminated grounds, than race tracks that operated 20-25 times a year? I'm not saying that race tracks did NOT put containments into the ground, but I am wondering if it was way worse than I am imagining; back in the day?

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Pitdad (Offline)
  #7 9/3/22 2:02 AM
It was way worse back in the day.