IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > March madness
3/22/19, 2:15 PM   #11
Re: March madness
revjimk

Duke....they have the best players. Other TEAMS might be better, but I'm going with talent
No clue on racing champs, I just watch. I know a lot more about hoops, since I've been playing and/or watching for almost 60 yrs., sprint cars only 10....
But I'll guess: Sunshine in sprints, SOMEBODY in Kunz Armada in midgets?

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
3/24/19, 11:21 PM   #12
jim goerge

Michigan State Double D Grant, I also had Murray State too, They"re not only a hell of a team but I love they"re name The RACERS lol

3/25/19, 12:02 PM   #13
tdt636

Ballou is going to win everything...even the NCAA tourney

7 members like this post: 7horse, dirt330, flagboy55, jim goerge, oppweld, racenut69, RockinRy
3/25/19, 11:39 PM   #14
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdt636 View Post
Ballou is going to win everything...even the NCAA tourney
Thats funny...
i hear he can jam the ball with his eyebrows...

1 member likes this post: racenut69
3/25/19, 11:47 PM   #15
revjimk

OK, analogy: College hoops is to NBA as wingless sprints are to WoO...
College/ Wingless: less $$$, more finesse
Pro/WoO: more $$, more pure speed
Plus they prefer college ball/wingless in Indiana! (at least they did in Bob Knight era....)
Or is HS ball bigger now in Indiana? I wish i could have seen it when all the schools played the same tourney....

1 member likes this post: oppweld
3/26/19, 5:20 PM   #16
tdt636

College ball. High school lost is glamour when we switched to classes for the tournament

3 members like this post: jim goerge, racefan20, wright59
3/26/19, 5:20 PM   #17
tdt636

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Thats funny...
i hear he can jam the ball with his eyebrows...
Ballou is the Chuck Norris of sprintcar racing

2 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld
3/26/19, 7:26 PM   #18
ISF

Much of the appeal and popularity of the state high school basketball tournaments has been lost over here in Illinois, as well. It's due to the tournament being divided into 4 separate classes. It's pretty much ho-hum these days and no one seems to care much anymore unless a local school is involved.

The most excitement that has been generated by the high schooler's in a while happened this year in the sectional final somewhere in Chicago. A player for North Lawndale appeared to undercut a Farragut player who was in the process of dunking. The benches cleared and the crowd came on the floor and got involved in a full on brawl that lasted something like 5 minutes. The cops cleared the gym and play never resumed. Farragut was leading 54-50 at the time of the brawl about 1 minute was left to play. No team advanced to the supersectional from that sectional.

3/27/19, 10:33 PM   #19
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdt636 View Post
College ball. High school lost is glamour when we switched to classes for the tournament
I'm not surprised to hear that. When did the tourney change? When was the last time a small school won the whole shebang?
But I thought maybe college ball had lost some luster since Bob Knight left.... do you guys root for teams like Purdue & Butler?
NCAA tourney is my favorite sporting event of them all (sorry sprint fans.... I like this too!)
One more thing: on my annual migration from Colorado to the East Coast every summer, it can get boring, so I stop at lots of little museums. I had a GREAT time at Indiana HS hoops museum in New Castle! Its a circular tour, they start you off in a little theater & show a film about Hoosier ball. I was the only person watching....a little old man was up on a ladder fixing something & came down when they showed 1951 (?) HS Champs: "See that guy in the back row? Thats me!" He then proceeded to give me the ultimate guided tour, wouldn't stop talking (a Hoosier Dick Vitale? ) Gotta luv the enthusiasm!
Jimmy Rayl & Ray Peavey! (SP?)

4 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, oppweld, superstock30, wright59
3/28/19, 12:01 AM   #20
superstock30

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 15+

1954 would've been the Milan championship. The last true small school champ. The movie Hoosiers was loosely based on that team.
Next time you get to the Indy area you need to eat at Booby Plump's "last shot" resturant. He was the star of the 54 team and runs a resturant in the Indy area. VERY nice guy! Last I heard he was still there almost every day and loves to talk to visitors at his joint.
Last edited by superstock30; 3/28/19 at 4:59 PM.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > March madness