IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jacksonville Speedway Response
4/14/18, 9:17 PM   #1
MIracing

Jacksonville Speedway rained out the WoO. One of their biggest races. They posted a response on Facebook because their decision came with a lot of criticism. I will post the response at the end but there are a few things I thought after reading the response

I love seeing transparency by the track. It makes me realize that these promoters are human just like us and at the end of the day they are race fans or they wouldn't be doing what they are doing. Let's take that in to consideration next time we are quick to criticize decisions. They know their decisions effects thousands but at the end or the day most are trying to do what's best for fans, teams and the sport of the a racing.

Here is the Jacksonville Speedway Facebook Post.
Not going to get on here with a picture of it pouring at 9:10 or the rain we had at 7:30. We can't take credit for being that good with the weather predictions.

What we had today was a really difficult set of circumstances. Snow on the ground through Monday, snow the week before, an already soft pit from all that and then a rainy, drizzly, no-sun, no wind, early afternoon with rigs ready to roll in within 15 mins knowing that with even a small amount of rain they aren't going to find their way out without a huge mess and a lot of upset race teams. A pit gate ready to open within minutes and start taking thousands of new dollars from people that might not see a thing. Top that off with a forecast for the racing hours that varied from 40% one hour to 60% the next and at some point you have to step back and assess the situation.

Tom, Carlton, Mike and the WoO group has been through this many, many times. Yes we have fans calling on their way from South Dakota and it really stinks for them. Yes, after Farmer City rained out we were the only game in town with sun getting ready to pop out. Yes, we were the first chance for everyone to go to a race track this year. A promoter's dream. No competition, hungry fans, hungry racers, decent weather while everyone makes their decision whether to come. Yup... we were going to pack the joint tonight and it was going to be a big night for us.

But we also had a ton of area fans who support this event every time. Who pay a premium to make it happen. Always in the back of our mind is the reminder that we ask you for at least a $50 bill to see it. And when we ask you for a $50 bill, you better see a $50 show... and you better have had $50 of fun or we won't be doing this again.

So at 2:15 what are the odds of you seeing a complete show? What are the odds of you seeing any show? What are the odds of seeing a bunch of heat races and semi features and then asking you and the racers to come back another day just to watch a feature. Take all of that into account and make a decision. There are a lot of competing interests from the track to the sanctioning body to the fans to the racers... but in the end we... and the Outlaws decided things would be better in a lot of respects to start fresh and try again. It was tough to see how it could end up with a great outcome with happy fans and happy racers at 2:00.

In the end, we might have hurried through a show in an hour and 20 mins after a short rain delay and been done by 9:15 before the big one set in for the night. Mike Hess with the WoO has become the best in the business at getting things rolling and over with when he has to. But there's also a pretty good chance we wouldn't have.

We've taken a little heat and it is probably deserved depending on your view of the situation, but we've had a overwhelming amount of understanding and support over this decision. It was a tough one. And circumstances this time made it turn out to be the right one.

I currently have 120 unread text messages and over 80 voicemails. Chances of me getting back to all of you promptly with your questions - even though they are pressing to you are slim. Let's let things lie for a couple of days. Your tickets are good for June 27th. If you purchased a ticket online and didn't get to pick it up at will call... I won't overlook you. I'll get it in the mail. Direct any specific questions you still have regarding tickets to me by text at 217-371-3653 or give me a call..... but how 'bout if it waits till Monday if possible? I don't plan to reply to much here on Facebook.

Thanks to all the volunteers over the past week. And Tommy and Hank and Deb worked their tails off over the past couple of weeks. We made so much progress. Thanks to each of you for your understanding in a very difficult set of circumstances. And thanks to our great friends with the World of Outlaws in helping us make a good decision... and for having faith that we can pull it off in June and for giving our fans a chance to see what they paid for. -KD
Last edited by MIracing; 4/14/18 at 9:18 PM.

4/14/18, 10:44 PM   #2
Re: Jacksonville Speedway Response
Jonr

While I have been disappointed about promoters calling shows early, I have always understood the situation. The promoters have to make money at their race track or the race track closes. Large shows come with large purses, large sanction fees and large overhead. A shower at the wrong time, a threating rain cloud that keeps the fans away are all things that can make a large show into a large money loser. I would much rather a promoter call a show early than them have a huge financial loss.

4/16/18, 9:28 AM   #3
Backitin

That's a lot of typing to say a race is called off.
Its a shame that more then ever you have to justify every move you make on social media. Its a business, a business decision was made. Personally I have no car in the race so to say and I could care less if a promotor makes or losses money on a winged show. It don't matter to me but I have no problem someone trying to not take a hit.

4/16/18, 10:25 AM   #4
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
That's a lot of typing to say a race is called off.
Its a shame that more then ever you have to justify every move you make on social media. Its a business, a business decision was made. Personally I have no car in the race so to say and I could care less if a promotor makes or losses money on a winged show. It don't matter to me but I have no problem someone trying to not take a hit.
You should care if a promotor loses money on any show, especially a high profile show as this because in many instances it's that one or two big shows that can sustain a track who may struggle weekly.

4/16/18, 6:15 PM   #5
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
You should care if a promotor loses money on any show, especially a high profile show as this because in many instances it's that one or two big shows that can sustain a track who may struggle weekly.
Nope, still don't care.

4/17/18, 12:52 PM   #6
etripp

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Nope, still don't care.
when the track closes will you care?

2 members like this post: motorhead748, PIT CART
4/17/18, 2:13 PM   #7
motorhead748

Quote:
Nope, still don't care.
Would you care if your track for speedway bikes hosted an event that you didn't care for (winged sprints, monster trucks, rodeo, concerts etc) and was only able to stay open by having these events?

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
4/17/18, 3:47 PM   #8
progressive22

This Backitin clown needs to go back to the circus. Hardly ever has anything positive to say.

4 members like this post: luckybuc97, motorhead748, nathans1012, PIT CART
4/17/18, 9:14 PM   #9
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive22 View Post
This Backitin clown needs to go back to the circus. Hardly ever has anything positive to say.
Agree. Unless it's just an act the guy seems very bitter, especially with any mention of wings. I'm thinking some wing sprint car guy ran off with his wife or daughter.

2 members like this post: nathans1012, progressive22
4/17/18, 9:22 PM   #10
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive22 View Post
I agree. Must be wearing blind folds. The big shows usually help a track make their season and the bills that come with it. Having to cancel is never good for any race track.

2 members like this post: motorhead748, RadRacer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jacksonville Speedway Response