IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank You Kokomo / O'Connors
8/28/16, 12:04 AM   #1
Thank You Kokomo / O'Connors
Terry Porter

It's been 15 years or so since I've been to Kokomo, but after the racing this week I'm already making plans to come back next year!

The racing was great and visiting with friends was even better.

A big thank you to the O'Connor family for all of their hard work through out the week. They busted their ass to make sure the races went off as smoothly as possible. All of you locals are very fortunate to have something like this in your backyard.

Till next year, safe travels to everyone!

8/28/16, 9:36 PM   #2
Re: Thank You Kokomo / O'Connors
yeleyfan76

I second this thought. The O'Conners went above and beyond to make this event happen. The weak would have quit , but the strong will survive. I sincerely appreciate the efforts made by them to give everyone a full weekend of racing and keeping in mind many people have to be home Monday for work. Its a group effort of teams, fans ,and track personnel to make it work and in the end that happened. Thank you to the O'Conners again for all the hard work and I only wish it wasn't a 10 hour drive or I'd be there every event they run. For those that have any type of complaint please keep it to yourself for a change. The reality is that without the effort we were shown this wknd could have been a disaster. Can't wait for Smackdown 6!!!!!

8/28/16, 10:59 PM   #3
Tumey's 55

I will make it a third. Just pulled in the driveway in NC after the long drive home. I have attended each Smackdown and they have all been good, no, great. Thanks to the track staff, O'Connor's, and drivers for their efforts to prepare the track each night and the drivers for edge of the seat excitement. It seems each year brings a challenge for the track and this year was no exception with heavy rain and tornadoes. Watching these talented drivers hang it all out lap after lap never ceases to amaze me. Last night KTJ, Boespflug, and Windom all three drove 40 nearly flawless laps. Windom didn't win but his over the cushion driving was a joy to watch. Good Lord willing I will be back next year and may God bless those with storm damage and all the cleanup crews and officers doing yeoman work.

8/29/16, 5:40 AM   #4
BrentTFunk

Wednesday evening I figured the weekend was a washout. Quite simply an unbelievable effort. Rescheduling the Bryan Clauson tribute race with free admission is even better. Very proud of my home track. I was at the front gate Wednesday evening and the water was up to my knees. I still can't believe they ran. Also could not have got the race in Friday without the teams running extra hot laps.

8/29/16, 6:45 AM   #5
DICNJAN

Great week of racing at our home track...before the O'connors came to town ,we were thinking kokomo was a lost cause...they put new life into a great place..from the back bleachers guys,,,THANK YOU

8/29/16, 8:31 AM   #6
racer-x

I was walking up the grandstand Thursday night and happened to step on a board at the same time a guy was going down. We both broke through but neither of us lost our balance.
Most tracks would have just ropped the row off but not this place. They had a new board out and I swear there were more people watching the installation then the hornet race.
I made the 90 mile trip down there 3 of 4 nights and had a great time.

8/29/16, 10:05 AM   #7
Dick Mahoney

the O'Conners went above and beyond for the week It was well worth the drive from Canada

8/29/16, 11:36 AM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

So many things from last week that exemplified the commitment the O'Conners, USAC and the racers had to putting on the show but whoever came up with the idea to keep the Heats 1 & 2 cars circulating on Friday until the showers let up was a sheer genius. I did hear grumblings and calls of "Let's GO!" from some of the crowd around me but the knowledgeable among us just smiled and nodded because we all knew there was no way they were going to lose the track if they could help it.
I was going to say "if they could humanly help it" but the truth is the effort was superhuman.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

8/29/16, 11:58 AM   #9
JarrettFarms73

I told Mrs. O' at the ticket window they should consider a Smackdown VI shirt that has Reece and the gang standing firm, arms crossed, rain or storm clouds in the background, w/ the caption "Come at me, bro!" Or as my brother said, caption it "We're still here".

What a weekend! Kudos to everybody that stuck it out!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thank You Kokomo / O'Connors