IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ronmil (Offline)
  #1 4/7/18 12:09 PM
Fifty years ago today we lost arguably the greatest driver of his time in a crash during a Formula two race at Hockenheim, Germany. I will never forget his dominating victory in the first Indianapolis 500 I attended in 1965. Such a tragedy; he was only thirty-two years old.

Ron Miller
11 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, dirt330, FishBurger, jim goerge, jzf9kh, LUCKYONE, motorhead748, opnwhlmnd, superstock30, tirespinner
FishBurger (Offline)
  #2 4/7/18 1:30 PM
We were headed up Ohio Rt.127 to Eldora when I heard about this on the radio. Clark and Jackie Stewart were two of my favorite F1 drivers to come to Indy. What a sad loss.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, jim goerge, ronmil, tirespinner
dirtnonwingfan (Offline)
  #3 4/7/18 2:20 PM
I don't think I will ever forget walking through the quiet woods on the outside of the track and coming upon a modest marker where he crashed. It was such a sobering moment realizing I was where one of the greatest of all time perished. Soon, the scream of Formula 2 engines filled the air, and, as always, racers kept racing.

Frank Daigh
11 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, FishBurger, jim goerge, Josh Spencer, luckybuc97, mc/rider, opnwhlmnd, PAW, ronmil, tirespinner