IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC SpeeD2 midgets to compete at Kokomo Speedway Sunday May
4/30/18, 5:18 PM   #1
USAC SpeeD2 midgets to compete at Kokomo Speedway Sunday May
USAC MTM

For the first time ever, the USAC SpeeD2 midgets will compete this Sunday at Kokomo Speedway as a stand-alone class (All D2 automotive and motorcycle-powered midgets meeting USAC SpeeD2 rules are invited to participate, see rules at http://www.midwestthundermidgets.com/rules/, no national midgets engines permitted). The race is part of the four race ‘USAC SpeeD2 Midwest Championship’ and features the area’s top SpeeD2 drivers competing in production engine-based automotive and motorcycle powered midgets. The division is in response to the growing interest in providing grassroots racers an affordable option to participate in open wheel racing.

The race is co-sanctioned by the Indiana/Ohio-based Midwest Thunder Midget Series (MTM) and the Illinois Midget Racing Association (IMRA). MTM has lost their first two races of the 2018 season to the cold and wet spring weather. IMRA has completed two races, with Chase McDermand winning at Quincy Speedway and Andy Baugh picking up the win at Spoon River Speedway last Saturday. Round two of the series will be at Spoon River Speedway in Illinois on June 9th, then moves to Lincoln Park Speedway in Indiana on Friday July 6th (with the USAC National Sprint Car series) and wraps up back at Spoon River on Sept 8th.

All cars must run Hoosier tires in approved compounds. Cars will also be scaled for minimum weights. Inspections will include Bore/Stroke, compression, and visual inspection for head porting and stock internal components, while other items will be spot checked for compliance with the rule book.

Purse: 1st - $500 2nd - $275 3rd - $200 4th - $150 5th - $125 6th - $110 7th thru 20th $100

USAC Membership not required. No entry fee.

Pit Gate – 3:00
General Admission Gate - 4:00
Hot Laps – 6:15
Racing – 7:00
Pit Pass - $30
General Admission - $20.

2 members like this post: chtaylor, ROSCO
5/1/18, 1:39 PM   #2
Re: USAC SpeeD2 midgets to compete at Kokomo Speedway Sunday
TQ29m

I'll have to admit, I do kinda like the first 2, maybe 4 lines of this post, the rest, not so much, the tire rule sucks, IMHO, the rules limiting any, or almost no modifications to a STOCK engine, suck, IMHO, my opinion, and evidently mine alone, stops right after the "no purpose built racing engines", when a class is trying to build itself a place in racing, the word STOCK turns off a lot of people, IMHO, the mere thought of using a stock engine in itself, is an open invite, to use every possible trick and source, to make it faster than the next guy, cost being thrown out the window, like Henry Ford said, when ask when auto racing began, his answer was simple, as soon as the second car was built. I don't care who you are, you are going to spend whatever it takes, to hide anything that will make you faster than the other guy, you may not win, but you'll sure spend your lunch money to try, now won't you! That's it, just had to relieve the pressure, I started 3 times, to build a "stock appearing" engine, but have given up, the rules are too flimsy, IMHO, the only thing I see that can mean I'd try again, is like I wrote at the beginning of this post. I'm getting too old to worry about it now, but 10 years ago, I would probably ran my engine anyway, for as long as it took to be visually teched, and I didn't have that much in it, I'm talking less then 3k, now that's a number that will put cars at the race track, IMHO! Bob

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
5/1/18, 3:01 PM   #3
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

People who choose to participate are having little trouble putting cars together that meet the rules; the class is gaining momentum in Indiana and is offering a points fund for the first time this year. Chuck and Greg have managed to accumulate an inventory of good used tires and are offering them to participants at a reasonable cost, so the tire rule is really a non-issue. If you want to "innovate" there are plenty of places to do so, and legally at that. When the Zonker blew up at the end of last year I made the commitment to purchase a Twister with a bone-stock Ecotec to run this year but circumstances may prevent me from getting out for a while; as I put the car back together I may or may not spend a few bucks on rods and valve springs (as allowed in the rules) but in the meantime I'm going to support the club in any way that I can. It's going to be a fun year.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

3 members like this post: chtaylor, ROSCO, trannyman
5/5/18, 12:02 PM   #4
USAC MTM

RULES CLARIFICATION FOR KOKOMO....
There have been questions regarding the rules this race will be run under. USAC SpeeD2 rules will apply. Unlike Montpelier, where the SpeeD2 cars run with the National Midgets as a 'class within a class' the May 6th Kokomo race is limited to SpeeD2 legal cars only. Further, to clarify the 'D2' reference on the Track Web site and FB posting, cars utilizing internal engine modifications allowed under the Badger rules will not be legal - stock internal parts are required, no porting/polishing, etc.. This is a USAC SpeeD2 sanctioned race and cars meeting the Midwest Thunder, IMRA, and USAC Lightning Sprint rules are welcomed to participate. Kokomo is a premier race facility in the Midwest and it is critical that SpeeD2 racers support this event in a fair and legal manner so that they division has the opportunity to continue to grow.

5/7/18, 11:57 AM   #5
USAC MTM

Chase McDermand of the IMRA 'Parked it' at Kokomo for the feature win in his family owned car last night. Chase leveraged a late race caution with two laps to go to make a daring high side pass of race leader Andy Baugh coming out of turn four to the checkered. Baugh had led the entire race, chased by a pack of cars that included McDermand, Alex Watson, Robby McQuinn and Aaron Leffel. After dropping to 10th at one point, Chet Gehrke worked his way back into contention and grabbed the third spot at the checkered over Leffel and Watson. Race Monitor reflected great parity among the cars, with Baugh turning the quickest lap of the feature of 15.089 in his R1 powered minisprint. McDermand's quickest lap came on lap 10 at 15.134, followed by Gehrke at 15.136, Watson at 15.284 and Leffel at 15.327 (all Ecotecs). Stratton Briggs had the fastest Focus with a 15.593. Congrats to the McDermands for a fantastic victory. The USAC MTM and IMRA would like to thank the O'Connors and Kokomo Speedway for giving us the opportunity to participate at their premier facility and for running a tremendous event with three classes including a Sprint B over shortly after 10 EST. We would also like to thank the 19 entrants who risked a shaky weather forecast on a Sunday night to make the trip, with drivers from across Indiana and Illinois, as far West as St. Louis and as far east as Columbus Ohio. A great start to the USAC SpeeD2 Midwest Championship! USAC IMRA returns to Spoon River Speedway next weekend, while MTM is at Montpelier Speedway after the first two races there were lost to rain. MTM and IMRA come back together on Saturday June 9th for Round Two of the USAC SpeeD2 Midwest Championship.

3 members like this post: chtaylor, gary.baugh, jjones752
5/7/18, 4:00 PM   #6
fish

What I've disliked about D2 midgets is every thread about them turns into a debate over this rule, or that rule. Put them on the track, with a even bunch together, and they're not too bad.

5/7/18, 11:33 PM   #7
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
What I've disliked about D2 midgets is every thread about them turns into a debate over this rule, or that rule. Put them on the track, with a even bunch together, and they're not too bad.
Exactly I've thought about starting a thread about a question or two on D2's but didn't because they always turn to crap and not what the topic was created for.

On a Side note this race was great I was there but I went to low in 1&2 and clipped a tire in the heat. I do got to say what a great finish! That was exciting to see.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 5/7/18 at 11:34 PM.

2 members like this post: fish, jjones752
5/10/18, 9:23 AM   #8
Focus4

Great job by the D2 guys, refreshing to see the working guy division build some steam.

1 member likes this post: ROSCO
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC SpeeD2 midgets to compete at Kokomo Speedway Sunday May