IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ISF (Offline)
  #1 2/24/12 3:33 PM
I've got a question for you West Coast sprint car fans. The Wife & I are going to be in California over the weekend of March 2nd & 3rd. We'll be staying in the Long Beach harbor area. I'd love to go up to Ventura Raceway for their opening night of racing which is March 3rd. It appears to be around 90 miles if I can believe MapQuest.

We will be arriving into LAX (unfortunately) and won't have access to a car unless I rent one which would be greatly inconvenient and I've never navigated around that part of the LA area which looks a bit daunting. I'd just as soon not rent a car but it's not out of the question.

The question is, would there be any possible way to get up there without renting a car or paying a couple of hundred bucks for a cab or a limo? If any of you West coast folks have any suggestions I'd be much obliged.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
mowerman (Offline)
  #2 2/24/12 3:47 PM
There's a metro train station right by the track , might check that out .
dant (Offline)
  #3 2/24/12 6:49 PM
post the question on SCRAFAN.COM...someone might offer you a ride
RJ21 (Offline)
  #4 2/24/12 10:47 PM
Rent a car only 90 min. drive and only 2 freeyways involved pretty easy drive,
monkeyboy (Offline)
  #5 2/25/12 12:51 PM
Rent a car and do yourself the favor of driving up the coast on one. Very scenic to say the least.

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: ISF, rataz
Jonr (Offline)
  #6 2/26/12 6:33 PM
I have driven to Ventura twice by myself from my Outlaws house, and they live outside of San Diego. Even though it sounds like a nightmare, a highway in California is like a highway anywhere else in the country. The only difference is the amount of cars on the road. Get a good set of directions, be sure to leave early enough and go ahead and drive there yourself. You will be amazed how easy it is.

Since you are traveling with your wife, I would be sure to make sure that you have a set of directions that you are comfortable with. The first time I went, I followed the directions from my father in law and it was a breeze. The second time, I followed the directions from my GPS which was a disaster.

Ventura is a great race track. I recommend sitting at the top stands between 1 and 2. While the view of the track may not the greatest, the view of the waves hitting the beach is unbelievable.
eagleyephotos (Offline)
  #7 2/26/12 7:20 PM
When i went there a few years ago, i took a shuttle from the airport to the holiday inn there in town...only $30 each way....well worth the money!!!!! just look up shuttle services there
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #8 2/26/12 11:02 PM
If you like seafood, be sure to eat at Eric Erisson's on the pier by the racetrack. Great place.
2 Likes: ISF, speed bump
ISF (Offline)
  #9 2/28/12 10:34 AM
Thanks a ton to all of you for your help and suggestions. I'm really looking forward to seeing and experiencing Ventura.

Perris would be so much easier for us since we've been there 4 or 5 times over the years but we're compelled to go to Ventura simply because we haven't been there before.

Thanks for the heads-up about the good seafood, Scott! That may be the bribe I need to get my Wife's blessing for this whole adventure. Wish you were doing the announcing! Oh well, maybe the screamer will lose his voice over the weekend. LOL!!

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.